Replacing Carpet in my 342

onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
This project was very easy. Tools and supplies I use were a box cutter (a lot of razors), putty knife, vice grips, phillip head screw driver, acetone, 3M commercial spray glue, 40lb bags of wood pellets, 50 vinyl wood (Lowes 99 cents a piece).

Pulling the carpet is the worse and hardest part of the project. You could blow the boat up and the carpet would still be attached to the sub floor. I used the vice grips to grip and pull the carpet up. The acetone to clean the floor surface of all the glue.

I unscrewed the stair frame from the floor, removed the steps and handrail. By doing that I had enough space to just lift the stair frame to slid the vinyl underneath. I started on the starboard side and laid the vinyl down, spraying each plank with the adhesive. A floor guy told me to have at least 6 inches between joints to make it look good. I laid the 40lb bags on the floor to help the vinyl to adhere as the surface of the sub floor is not flat. I did the floor in sections over a couple days. Inexpensive and looks great! Not one vinyl piece has come up. At times the vinyl wood look crooked when half laid down. Actually the stair frame is angled a bit and that gave it a crooked look but once the steps were put back on, it was fine.

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great DIY project, great improvement.
    Boat Name : 

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many pieces did you buy and why didnt you use regular vinyl tile glue that you trowel out? Just curious
  • onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    50 pieces and I probably only used 42 with mistakes. The spray is over kill but some places like the hump forward on the floor needed a little extra adhesive
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Very nice job. Looks great......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    You gonna do yours Ray?
    No too much work for me. I want to enjoy my boat......LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great.  I have a runner on mine, carpet virtually unused.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    To be honest I would rather have the carpet. Not a big fan of the wooden floors. I guess I must be old school. Not crazy about hard tops. Not crazy about seadeck in the cockpit areas or swim platforms.........LOL
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

island, it looks fantastic!

I had always been on the same side as ray with the wood floors.  I have a 20'X18' family room with wood floor that I have 3/4 covered with carpet.  But, when I bought my current boat, well, it has the wood floor in the galley as well as the aft cabin.  Absolutely love it.  Did I put a carpet runner down?  Yep.  But still love the teak.  I'll say I'm not one for the seadeck in the cockpit though, like my carpet there. :)  I'll leave the hardtop one alone...Ray is too old school! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I use a runner also. The wood made the space look so much bigger and the smell of a "Rinker boat" has left the cabin!
    Hey DI too old school???? Let me give you my reasons First the hardtop: I would much rather have the option to open up the cockpit or keep it closed. I have been on many boats with hardtops and haven't been on one yet that I like. Seadeck: Ok now I do not mean to insult anyone here so please dont take it that way. In the cockpit I do not like it because of the phony look to it. Anytime IMO you try to duplicate something like that it looks too phony. In the cabin I like carpet plain and simple. Dont have to worry about divets..lol or slippery when wet. I have a real nice carpet runner with a compass rose on it and it looks awesome. Again do not mean to offend anyone........ Just say'n... 
    Not to be rude @raybo3, I did not post this for a debate if anyone liked it or not, I posted under "custom projects" lol
    Im 100% with Raybo. No wood, no hardtop, no goofy LEDs etc. Plus I like applying carpet burns if you get my drift LMAO
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @raybo3, maybe I'll start a topic for Raybo! :)  Hardtop, like it or not?  Seadeck, like it or not?....good topic for wintertime! :)....just sayin'

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited September 2016
    Not to be rude @raybo3, I did not post this for a debate if anyone liked it or not, I posted under "custom projects" lol
    @onislandtime I did not say I did not like your mod as a matter of fact I said "Very nice job. Looks great......" and I mean it. You did an outstanding job with that project. Also onislandtime your not being rude, everyone on this forum has a right to speak their mind. Its all in good fun and to help each other out. @Handy I dont mind the blue LED's in the cockpit. It is a little easier on the eyes at night but those freaking cup holders OMG.....lol but hey 2 each his own whatever works for you. Hummm how about a bobbing head dog with light up eyes..... Just kidding......
  • NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    not sure why, but I'm offended.... B)
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I like it..... certainly everyone is entitled to an opinion, that's what makes the world go round. If opinions weren't allowed we'd all be driving Fords trucks and gassers for boats!!!! :D
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    NavyCTRC said:
    not sure why, but I'm offended.... B)
    Trust me not trying to offend anyone just having some fun......... :)
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same carpet on my boat... it's def. go to go... makes the thing look dated and who thought putting a "shag" carpet on a boat was a good idea?!?! 
  • webaker1973webaker1973 Member Posts: 4
    How has it held up?  Thinking about doing the same install.
    Not one piece has come up! I am very happy
  • MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Looks good.
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
  • mikejudd65mikejudd65 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    This is on my Admirals spring to-do list this year, old thread I know, what kind of flooring did you use? Looks great , we have 2004 342
    "Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I would do this below but I like the carpet up top. With the canvas up I'd think the tin can sounds would be worse plus when is cool I like the carpet- but torn....really looks great. My cabin got flooded recently from a blocked drain under the helm, I'm guessing that would not have ended well with the wood.
  • John41John41 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Looks awesome