generator runs and quits

I've read some post on here about generators starting then quitting once you release the start button. What do you check first ?  One post said it was stator . It's a Kohler  with 325 hours .I just purchased the boat . Any way to check other possibilities ? Could it be the safety switches ?

Answers

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is electrical, could be something cheap and easy like fuses or brushes. Worth a try to replace them first. Then could be control board and or voltage regulator which are diy items but expensive parts. If they are not it then it's time to definitely get a pro to look at stator and rotor. I would call in a pro after fuses and brushes.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• sunsetsandtrailssunsetsandtrails Member Posts: 29
    thanks Liberty .............but How do you check the brushes ? Location ?  What other fuses are there other than the 2 in control box ? One of them is for battery charger ??
  • jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Is it giving you a code when it kicks off? Does it have a good water flow when it does fire up? Mine did that and found it was the impeller, as there wasn't any water coming out of the exhaust. 
    I'll check Jb , I can hear water flowing when it shuts off.  It fires as soon as you hit the start button, but will not run a second longer when released. I don't want to keep the starter engaged , cause other problems .
    sorry Jb, I'm not sure where or how to look for a code . I have the top of the switch box on generator removed where you can see the circuit boards .
    edited February 2017
    The digital read started sometime in 2006, my 2006 342 does not have digital reads but many do. If you have let it sit overnight to fully cool and this still happens on a cold start then it isn't not cooling, water, impeller. Yes if it is hot this will happen after a few min due to overheat sensor. Won't hurt to change impeller and coupler along with make sure the coolant levels are good. 

There area only 2 fuses in the panel box, both are good . Maybe one of the shutdown switches has gone bad ??
    Wish I could help more but my experience is on the motor side, I had the exact same problem you are having on my previous boat and called a tech as I don't get the electrical side and it was not the motor. Tech immediately tested and saw no electrical output. First he changed brushes, not problem. Then he changed control board and regulator, not problem. Then he found both my statue and rotor had blown and it ended up that was because of water intrusion and he had to re build the electrical side. Hopefully yours is just brushes, board or regulator. Sorry I can't tell you how to change them as I paid someone to do it. Not sure where you are located but there are a lot of kohler techs out there.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Try changing the spark plugs. Those genny's eat them like candy...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Thanks Liberty .......I sure am hoping it's not the stator and rotor . It will be trash then !
    Thanks raybo.......something is shutting it down after start . runs fine with switch pressed .
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Mine did the same thing. It was plugs.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a buddy of mine had same problem last summer, we found the fuel filter was clogged, let just enough gas to come through, to fire but not run.
    Boat Name : 

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Mine did the same as well. I'm with Raybo.......change the spark plugs. If it is the impeller, it would have to run long enough to get hot before auto shutdown. My bet is the plugs. Need changed every year or at most every other if your lucky.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    And it doesn't run fine with the switch pressed. It is running assisted by the starter but not on its own.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a couple of plugs.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Just for giggles check all the wires at the genny.  They use crumby connectors that rust out particularly if you are in saltwater.  I have replaced at least 4 pins now on varying connectors.
    I certainly hope it is the plugs or fuel filter and is not electrical. Look through other threads here to make sure you get the right plugs, the ones in there now could be wrong. There is a thread here where @Black_Diamond advises to get rid of the inline fuel filter and just use an external fuel filter/water separator which I did. Great point on connections, those could cause an electrical issue. 

THANKS to each of you ......will try plugs in a couple days . Maybe the starter engaging was making it run ?? It sounded good no skips or sputters , just dies immediately when start button is released .
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely start with the plugs: NGK BPR-4ES (long nose...do not get the plugs based on the engine S/N, they will be wrong).

Other checks: anti-diesel valve on the carb (unless FI of course).  Electric choke too: clean with carb cleaner, same for the anti-diesel valve too.

Also, check the obvious: fuel valve on?

That inline fuel filter can be an issue too, most don't even know it is there being hidden.  PITA to get to on mine, thus gone now and the in-line one.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Here is a great generator kit to buy.  http://www.PartsForTechs.com cost $74.48 

GM12310
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I have the same kit as Bayrunner mentioned...I use the container for all my small maintenance items (engine impellers, strainers, etc.)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

FYI: if you run synthetic oil in your genny, you can use the WIX filter 51394XP.
    Running regular oil: WIX 51394

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuel or spark, always the same issue!
    My problem was the capacitor . REplaced it and it worked . Thanks for all the help guys.
    UPDATE !!
      Put boat in water June 4th . Cranked generator, ran for 2 minutes or so with NO load and died.  Back to same issue again .  Bought another capacitor and tried it , but will not continue to run when start button is released . NOW WHAT ? 
    Have you checked the anti-diesel valve?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    The breaker at the generator is on ?
    Have you tried starting from the generator? 
    It is getting gas ?
    What unit do you have
    Thanks BD and Trip , I haven't had time to go back to boat..........busy in hay field . I'll look at the ADV and I have tried starting from generator switch .  It's getting gas to fire while start switch is depressed. It is a 6.5 esz .
  • sneaky1967sneaky1967 Member Posts: 6
    Mine was doing the same thing.  I disconnected the low oil pressure sensor, and tried again.  Seemed like it tried to run a little bit more.  With the sensor still disconnected, I cranked the engine and when it tried to start, pushed the electric choke open and it fired up and ran like a champ.  So i adjusted the choke to open up quicker, and it ran great.  After a couple times running it like this, I put the wire back on for the low oil pressure sensor and it still runs great now.  I don't know if unhooking the sensor did anything or not, but that's how I did it.