Simpson Lawrence Horizon 600 Windlass Rode

gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
Anyone know what size rode to use for the subject windlass?  I purchased this from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/WINDLASS-ANCHOR-RODE-STRAND-SPLICED/dp/B00MEUJ35W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490932378&sr=8-1&keywords=WINDLASS+ANCHOR+RODE-+1/2"+3+STRAND

Which should have worked from everything I researched, but did not.  It took the rode in but stalled when it got to the weight of the chain and I was able to pull the rode back out by hand.  Someone told me it needs to be 9/16 dia. rode, but would like to be sure before I purchase.

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I got my replacement from West Marine.  I made the mistake of getting double braided (smooth) line and the windlass could not grip it.  The plain old 3 strand line works great.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have 8 plait line on my 600 and have read a lot of info that it works best but i can't say whether or not 3 strand will work. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    The old rode that I removed was 3 strand and was definitely larger then 1/2 dia.  Seemed to work well with the windlass but had to replace it because it was cut and anchor missing when I purchased the boat.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    This is what Lewmar told me when I asked:

Thank you for contacting Lewmar.

We do not recommend the use of any double braided line on a windlass.

Double braided line is characterized by a core of line surrounded by a sleeve of line. 

The core of line has a tendency to stay stationary and the sleeve of line will move with the gypsy when the windlass is activated, basically destroying the line and not bringing in the anchor.

For this windlass, the line you want is a Medium Lay 3 Stranded line.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Josh

Lewmar, Inc.

Phone: (203)458-6200, ext. 202

Fax: (203)458-2270

Email: josh@lewmar.com

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be 5/8" line. I can check on Sunday if you don't get an answer before then.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Also check with the gypsy size as that can be a limiting factor as to ripe and chain sizes and type. When I changed my windlass out I had a number of discussions to decide the ride that then determined the  gypsy. This was with Leemar's help. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    3 line?? I seem to see a lot of people saying to use 8? I just ordered 200 bucks worth of this for my 270... sure hope it's right!  I was looking at the lewmar 600 specs.. can still cancel it. 

"

BUILD YOUR OWN CUSTOM ANCHOR RODE

SKU: 088

Feet
    Type of line:
    8 Plait Nylon Line
    Size of line:
    1/2 inch - $0.93
    Splice from rope to chain:
    8 Plait Splice to chain - $13.50
    Size of chain:
    G4 High Test - 1/4" Chain
    G4 High Test - 1/4" Anchor Rodes Chain:
    20 feet - $58.20
    Anchor Connection:
    Anchor Swivel for 1/4" - 5/16" - $20.60'
    "

J3FF, Good luck with that.  Not sure how many lines rode should be,  but half inch diameter was definitely too small and pulled right out.  I believe it needs to be 5/8" or greater. 
    edited April 2017
    alright, cancelling the order..  I saw a ton of places that said 1/2 inch! 
    edited April 2017
    would help if the windlass on the boat (2004 270 FV) would actually say the name of what it is! 

The most annoying thing is I have 35 ft of chain on 110 feet of line currently, but it needs to be re-spliced and the local guy told me that he wont do 8 plait.. sigh. 
    Interesting, so all windlass call for 1/2" rode except for model that use part RC0860.  must be what I have.  I checked my old rode, it is 8 Plait. 
    I checked my 280 and it has 8 plait 5/8" line on my Horizon 600. I have 30' of chain and 150' of line.
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited April 2017
    I checked my 280 and it has 8 plait 5/8" line on my Horizon 600. I have 30' of chain and 150' of line.
    I brought mine home today... it's also 5/8 and it has like 35 feet of chain and 110 feet of line..   the only problem is it is just about falling apart where the rope and chain meet..  I brought it to the local marina to ask if they'd take it and turn it around and splice the other end.. he said "no way, takes too long" 

SIGH. 

Guess I'll learn how to splice rope into a chain.. was really hoping someone professional would do it though..  

I cancelled the order I made yesterday, just seems like I've already got so much chain and line, might as well try and save the $$

going to follow this guide.. https://www.yalecordage.com/pdf/brait_to_chain_splice.pdf 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hope I'm not hijacking here but mine is the same. 30ish feet of chain and then a lot of rope, 8 plait, I'm thinking 5/8 but may be 3/4. Anyway I plan to mark it every 25 or so feet because I'm tired of having no clue how much line/chain is out. Would be nice to know....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

edited April 2017
    I painted a stripe on my chain alternating red and yellow in 5' intervals. When pulling up anchor, when I get to the chain, I just count 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. Once I hit 25, I know that I have 5 feet until the end.
    Post edited by Cableguy Greg on
    Go Steelers!!!
    FWIW, my new windlass is a PRO1000 with 516 gypsy for 5/8"8 plait and G4 chain.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Ok, I'm going with 5/8" 8 plait.  Hopefully it will work. 
    icoultha said:
    g4 what size chain??
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff the directions look easy :'(use a metal bar(like screw driver)to get though the rode to help feed it back through.I put black tape every 20 ft,does not effect the windless.The admiral just tells me 1st tape in the water (that's 50')keep going 2nd tape in the water (70').Helps to because we're any measureing the amount in the water not the bow of the boat.still working on hand signals it's only been 5 years give it time.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    J3ff, yes will use G4.  Purchasing this one on Amazon so I can return it if it doesn't work.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D29WCEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

J3ff said:
    icoultha said:
    g4 what size chain??
    Yeah, would be helpful if I finished the comment.... :) 5/16" ISO G4 chain.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Just did some measurements.. Looks like 3/4 inch line and 1/2 inch chain is what I've got.. am I wrong here? 

J3ff, just got my 5/8" 8 plait rode and chain today from Dark Horse Marine on Amazon.  It looks good and seems same as my old rode.  Definitely measures more like 3/4 then 5/8.  Going to try in out on Saturday and will let you know how I make out.
    Thanks, what does your chain measure on the inside hole? 
    excellent. thinking that means you bought the exact same size I have here that I need to replace.. 
    Great - just spent too much on anchor rode.. :)   - the bummer is now I've got 30 feet of chain laying here and can't do anything with it.. guess I could use it for a rear anchor.. 
    At least you were able to cancel the 1/2" rode order.  Will test my new rode tomorrow and let you know how I make out.