Leak in Drive Oil Reservoir system

2»

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    No worries. I'd be interested in knowing too. Because of my Achilles issue I had to reschedule my tech visit to this coming Tuesday. I'll report back on any fixes and findings.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I like to do most things myself but i left that particular seal to the pros. And ultimately they found issues when they pulled the u joint and yoke. Surprise.....
  • califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I had the same issue, oil leaking. Had the upper seal replaced and it is still leaking. Mechanic looking at the issue next week,I will report if he finds something. 
    I can see now why they're trying to avoid having to do it. I didn't think it was an easy job.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that sounds like a take to the shop. If mine is leaking at all, and I'm nod adding fluid, I will wait.
    Tech showed up today. We pulled the boat and took it to my place to inspect the drive and change the fitting that they insisted was the issue. No surprise when they loosened off the bellows to get at the fitting and a bunch of oil came out. As suggested by many here the u-joint seal is leaking.  They pulled the drive and have taken it back to the shop to be re-sealed. Bringing it back in the morning to re-install and put boat back in water. Gimbal bearing looks pretty good, I'm still going to do the whole rebuild in the off season anyway. I'm happy that we were right and that perhaps finally the issue should be resolved. Have to say I'm happy the shop has kept their word about fixing the issue, even if it has taken awhile.
    As evidenced by the paint blisters on the leading edge of the skeg I'll be changing out the Mercathode all the anodes and getting the drive repainted in the fall also.