Put new 20p 4x4 Hill Marine Props on this morning.. 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 w/ 383

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
Decided to swap props while on vacation with the boat...
(Edited now after test run) 

Just getting this out of the way for future visitors:

2004 Fiesta Vee 270 with a 383 Fresh water cooled engine.

So it's a completely different feel to the boat and the ONLY regret is that the props weren't installed before the 8 hour trip was made on it last week. 

First of all, there didn't use to be ANY push back in the seat feeling when the 3 blade 22p were installed. Now, there actually is a slight/decent amount of feeling as the boat speeds up. 

The first time I hit the throttle all the way it roared to life, MUCH faster rpm climb than usual (expected this)..

The surprises are:
There used to be a low noise as the boat sped up, kind of a groan, but it was there when the boat would be speeding up, transition to being on plane and then when you let off to maintain speed it would lighten up.  This noise is completely gone. 

Not only that, but both mother and sister made observations that the engine is noticeably quieter (ie. not working as hard as it used to be doing..) We can actually have a conversation on plane now, before the motor would be roaring to keep the boat on plane (25.5 or so mph or more).  

Speed to stay on plane has dropped considerably!

This was pretty much the edge of dropping off plane.. it could consistently stay on plane at 20, I've NEVER been able to do that. 

This was just another data point, so 100 RPM seems to be a 1.5 mph difference

so another 90 rpm gained 2 mph at this speed:

I have to look back at my other results, but pretty sure that this is almost the same rpm's  for 28mph. 

However, what these results can't possibly convey is how much "stronger" the boat felt, first of all I'd seen a couple people talk about the rear of the boat riding higher... well... I think this may be true, but only because there is absolutely NO reason to trim up anymore... at least in the current 1-2 ft waves we were hitting.. trimming up didn't seem to do much but increase noise (exhaust?) I will test it out more tomorrow but the boat overall just seemed to be happier with not working as hard. 

The other thing that I'm overjoyed about is that there's MUCH more flexibility between 20mph and 30mph for staying on plane. 

On this recent trip with the 3blade 22p, I rounded the northern corner of Block Island and the waves present were big and stacked one on top of the other.  The boat was taking them fine at 18 mph, but it was a TON of RPMS to be turning, not being on plane so the only answer was to either drop down to 10mph and have it take HOURS to get there or run the boat at 25+ and beat the thing up.  I pointed the boat in the best way I could and sped up. So much so that the toilet lid broke off and screws for the bimini needed to be screwed back in at the next stop.. it was pretty mucht he worst ride ever on a boat.  The important part here is that I feel like being on plane at 20mph would have made this ride tolerable both for driver and boat.  

As far as top speed goes, I didn't really get to try it out in the same conditions that I did with the 22p 3blades. I did see 34 or 35mph, didn't feel like there was much left and couldn't really look at the rpms at the time (my tach is WAY off, so I've only been using VVM). No matter what happens, if my boat never sees 36mph again, that's more than fine vs the trade off of having a boat that can be on plane at 20mph!! Admittedly falling off it if the wind blows, but still awesome.

Lastly, I don't really see what's so great about the 383 stroker, but I've never been on a 350 for very long. Some seemed to think the 20p would be too little pitch for the 383, the father at Hill told me he had heard that, and then those people with the 383 would send the 22p's back for the 20's. Bottom line, I'd be interested in trying out 22p 4blades to see the difference, but I'm pretty darn happy with these results!!

Post edited by J3ff on

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Here are the data points from when I was using the 22p 3blades, 

Keep in mind sea conditions, wind and tide are completely different between the two tests. 

What I can tell is just that the boat is not working nearly as hard (both drive and engine) to keep it moving forward. Does that mean that maybe I should step up to 22p 4blades? Maybe.. would love to try some out, before having to ship them back and forth.  Suppose the only real way to figure it out is to see if the boat will hit max rpms (4800-5200) - will do that test after returning from the trip, really don't want to blow up the outdrive 100's of miles from home !

For now I'll see how it goes for the 8 hour ride home. The main victories here I believe are:
    -less power needed to get on plane
    -less RPM needed to stay on plane
    -more options of rpm and speed while on plane.. 

For the results below, keep in mind that tide was a strong factor in the 2 or 3 mph difference.  I'll try and do the runs in the same tide with the 4blade when I get back. 

If you have a nice set of 3 blades, I'd buy the 4blades and throw the 3blades on ebay. 

Post edited by J3ff on
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent, I knew you would be impressed. good job man. 
    Boat Name : 

• jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Excellent results sound familiar lol!

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Great info on excellent products made here in Orange County CA. I'm a bit surprised they haven't left the state yet for a less taxing environment!

Andy
    Be a major PITA to move an investment casting facility

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited July 2017
    Got some more data today..  which is what I had manually calculated, I knew it was closer to 20 gph vs 17 at 28 mph

So basically your boat is slower than a diesel  RLMAO
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure what props my 270 has. It is the 350 MPI with 280 hp.  I have had 8 on board and got on plane. Top speed I have seen is 37.7 at 5200 with low fuel and 2 on board. She likes it best at 3800 and 24 mph 

So basically your boat is slower than a diesel  RLMAO
    Yeah but she doesnt smell like a diesel.. this wasn't a top speed run :P
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    06 270ec....496/b3====24p factory
    no other data
    Post edited by trip_n on
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My swim platform tends to "dig in" a bit when getting on plane I've noticed, even though I believe my '06 has the higher mounted platform than earlier models. It planes pretty quickly, but I always trim down fully. From what I'm hearing the 4X4 props keep the stern riding higher getting on plane. If that's the case I might have to take a trip to Santa Ana for an upgrade. Well it's that or diggin's cherry steps!

Andy
  • duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    just purchased my 4 blade props from HIll Marine. 06 250, i'll pass on my experience when i get them. he said it should be just under 2 weeks.

• BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    just purchased my 4 blade props from HIll Marine. 06 250, i'll pass on my experience when i get them. he said it should be just under 2 weeks.

Ohhh a Volvo tester let me know how they work!!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Whats on it now?

yes sir! f-3 is what is on it and Joe at Hill Marine says to stay with that set.

yes sir! f-3 is what is on it and Joe at Hill Marine says to stay with that set.

Nice.....first I have heard of anyone with a Volvo trying them. New build working ok?
    The VV Mobile info posted in great for before/after.  Much appreciated.  If we ever get a non-windy/6' wave day I'll head out and get data points with my current set up and then might just make the investment on the Hill B-3 20P prop set as a starter.  Shhhhh on the cost to the wife!  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I just drove the boat with the new props from West Dennis Cape cod, to Newport RI (stayed overnight) and then on down to Fairfield County CT... it was easily an 8 hour journey total, maybe 9.   I faced big waves that were close together off the coast of RI..  as expected being able to stay on plane at 20 mph was EXACTLY what was needed to keep the trip underway and not be killing the driver and boat.   The motor and outdrive seemed much happier the entire time and at one point I couldn't get over how quiet everything was.  If you have a 270 that takes a while to plane, this is an absolute requirement. 

I did do a WOT run and as expected I lost 4 mph on the top, no longer hitting 39, but hitting 35.. I assume if I went with the tide, I'd get another 3mph ontop of it.. however the boat got the best MPG between 27/30 right around 4000-4400 rpms. 

The trip home was incredibly improved thanks to these 4 blade hill marine 20p props.  Im completely satisfied. 
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Jeff I want to try a similar trip from my home port in RI. Block Island then Martha's Vineyard. 
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Great info @J3ff.  Definitely will add new props to my winter upgrade list.

Nice.....first I have heard of anyone with a Volvo trying them. New build working ok?

the new build is working out great so far, sitting at about 40 hours after 4 weekends. sure wish i would have had those 4 blade props this weekend! had 6 people on board and two of them were 500lbs between the 2.  with 2 people going to the cabin, it would get on plane but didn't want to other wise. 3/4 fuel and nothing in the holding tanks, was able to cruise 25 at 3800-4000 rpm with 6 people and 3 coolers. once it got on plane it moved along just great.
    so my top now is 4950 at 37mph against a 2mph tide and some wind.  It's pretty much exactly the same performance with the 3 blade, but now I can plane MUCH lower and I haven't heard the groan from the outdrive since!! 
  • JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info J3ff, I am adding this to the list for next season.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
    I should add that it was with the bimini open... prob should do a test run with it down and no wind, prob hit 40 again.. 
    looks like I'm not getting my props from hill marine in time for my trip. we are leaving Saturday morning for Norris lake in Tennessee and will be gone for a week. i haven't even been charged for my props yet which tells me they haven't even started making  them. Joe said two weeks which will be Wednesday, i told him about the trip and he said he would see what he could do, guess they're just that busy.  i called just now and got the voice mail so hopefully they call back with better news then I'm assuming. will have several people with us on this trip so it would have been a good test for the whole shot test with my additional passengers. hole well, the 3 blades spun me up to 43 with low fuel and minimal gear on the GPS this weekend(**** thing decided to turn on at the right time!) so the factory 3 blades are doing their job.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the rebuild is holding up well !
    Boat Name : 

randy56 said:
    Sounds like the rebuild is holding up well !
    yes randy, so far so good! we've put 40 hours on it with 4 lake trips and one river run this past weekend. looking to add another 40 hours before the year is over