STRIPPING AND WAXING

I have had this 342 for 5 years now ,Boat is 11 yrs ,Still shines from the MCGUIRES wax i use,Any tips  out there that maybe i should start fresh and strip existing wax   before  re-applying ,what product would you recommend ,not looking for  any intense product or procedures .

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some great car detailing videos out that talk about stripping wax.  Most use a 'foamer gun' that just goes on a hose end and liquid dishwashing soap.  Wash. Rinse. No wax. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its still shines why remove the old wax? It may cause you issues with chalking down the road. The previous owner may have sealed the gelcoat at one point and that's why it still looks good. I would use a good cleaner wax then top coat it with past wax. Collinite makes a great product!
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a wax expert but what @aero3113 said makes sense to me. Unless you have hazy spots, clean it up and carry on!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @aero3113 says why do it - which I agree with  if there is no obvious reason to do so and you have been using Meguiars with success. But... IF you decide to try to remove the old wax I would use regular dishwashing soap which will strip the wax pretty fast - used full strength - squirt on soft wash brush scrub then rinse.

That is why I have been told to not use regular dish washing soap between waxings but to use Johnson's "no more tears" as its far gentler.

So - regular dish washing soap, rinse with soft water, dry immediately with soft towels to remove any water (even soft) and avoid mineral water spots that build up - then keep on with the Meguiars (if that worked well in the past). :-)