280 trailer questions

tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
im looking for a trailer for my 2008 280 ec and was wondering if someone could let me know the length from the bow eye to the transom. In looking at a few used ones I'm not sure the length I need. 

Im assuming triple axles will be required. 

And on on a side note if anyone in Ontario knows where I could grab a used one at a good price please let me know. 

Comments

• Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I trailer my 280EC. It's a Yacht Club A28120TRB. I could cut it down a few feet if necessary, but I'm happy with the reduced tongue weight (except when I'm first pulling out of the water). I'd go with Electric over Hydraulic braking - I need to convert mine over. It's a lot of weight, and with surge brakes by the time the brakes are dragging it's already pushed the tow vehicle around a bit (yes, they're properly adjusted).
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't trailer my 280EC, but I do have a trailer for it. I had a Venture VATB-8725 aluminum bunk trailer for it. I didn't like how the boat sat on the trailer, so I sold it and got a Trailmaster T28100BBR trailer that is made for my 280EC. All I had to do was give the purchasing dealer my HIN, which he gave to Trailmaster and they had the specs on it. They made it up and my boat fits perfectly on the trailer and it is painted to match my boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Would love to but in looking dont think there are any dealers in Canada. I like the idea of not having to set the bunks up. 
    edited August 2017
    So I've narrowed it down to a few trailers. Unfortunately trailmaster I can't find in Canada. 

Im looking at an Excalibur trailer. Not sure if I should go tandem or tri axle. I'm used to tandem so will likely go that route. 

Question for the ones with a 280, which bunk setup is preferred, the manufacturer doesn't set them up and I'll be on my own. Marina wants $600 to lift and set it up. 

Thoughts?  

• Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the bunks in the first image will hold the 280, and you'll want the forward bunks (they're a smaller, maybe 8' set) that help capture the boat in current/wind.

I don't have trailer guide posts - important when the docks and ramps are shorter than the boat (at 32') - I can slide the trailer partially under the boat, then as I power forward the forward bunks catch the hull and help center/straighten the boat on the trailer. If it's not floated evenly (if there's a current) I'll pull mostly out, then back in until the boat just floats - and levels - then I'm good to pull all the way out and strap it down.

I use straps rated at 1500lbs - with a 4T boat you're holding the trailer to the boat, not vice versa.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 270 and I tow on a tandem trailer- but I don't trailer very far and probably do a tri axle if I traveled distance or more adverse terrain. I have two bunks in the back that nest just under a flat spot on the transom that is about 8" wide and then I have a "V" in the front for the nose. The ramp I use is real steep- I don't have to worry about current on the river but wind can be a bugger. I leave just the front of the bunks out of or nearly out of the water and drive it up. It's a real challenge sometimes getting it lined up and often pushing it around to get it to settle. It's a lot of fiberglass to get on any trailer, that's for sure...

I don't have to trailer very far and my driveway requires a sharp 90 degree turn backing it in so think I'm going to look for a tandem setup. The bunks have got me confused though. If I go with he second pic, Wondering if I'll need anything up front for the bow. Most bunk trailers I've seen where the bunks are on their side have nothing up front. 
    edited August 2017
    My Venture trailer looked like the second picture, but I added "target" bunks. Not sure if that is an option on that trailer. If it is, I would get them. The first picture looks like my Trailmaster trailer. I will grab a photo for you tomorrow when I am at my marina.

Could you buy a Trailmaster from a dealer in the states and "export" it to Canada? I am not sure if that is possible or what the costs would be.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Thanks Greg, yeah I left them a message today so we'll see what they say. 
    I'd appreciate a shot of your trailer if your there. It'll give me an idea of what to look for. 
    Here are the pics of my current (blue) and old trailers. The Venture has the target bunks that I was talking about. If you get a generic trailer, be sure to have them put keel rollers on it. 

Go Steelers!!!
    Amazing... Thanks very much for the pics. 
    You're welcome!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about your setup but I can tell you that a good friend who is a Boston Whaler guy has used Excalibur trailers for many years and speaks very highly of them.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Have a friend that has a Excalibur that loves it and is towing a 310 ec

So ended up with the Excalibur trailer. For the money really can't beat it. 

It only has the 2 long bunks running on their sides. 

Hoping someone one can advise me how far to space them for optimum placement for the 280. 

Got this one. 

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @tk1973.....so glad you purchased a bunk trailer. A long time ago a very respected glass guy told me always use a bunk trailer for storage as it is far better on the hull and its stringers. Properly set-up (which you are going to do) bunk trailers are far better at preventing bottom distortions. I had this discussion with another highly respected glass guy recently and he said the same thing. BTW I always kept a stiff brush in the tow vehicle so I could thoroughly brush-off the bunks for gravel, zebra muscles, sand etc, before sliding the boat on!
    That's a great idea Mike. Thanks 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tyk1973 .....my first new boat 1970. Right after the sea trial at the dealer's launch ramp I asked if anyone had cleaned the bunks of the trailer as I had just watched one of the yard kids rip through the gravel parking lot at the marina with it. Don't worry said the salesman - we know what we are doing. Long story short, there was a stone on the bunk. It put a 10 foot scratch into the gel coat - quite deep. Good news, it was an honest dealer who admitted fault and paid to have it repaired. It was  in 1970 dollars about $1,000.00. Sure taught me (and them) a lesson. The guy who did the gel coat work handed me a bristle brush after the job was done. We became good friends. He worked on all of my boats.
    I have to agree with Al on this one. Having the Venture trailer and now the Trailmaster, the Trailmaster is much easier to work with. I would have gone with the first trailer myself. I will get you some measurements of the bunks from my old Venture trailer for you.
    Go Steelers!!!
    The trailer I have for our 270 is the bunks with a 'V" in the front. You really have to line that puppy up just right to get it loaded and where the bunks sit In the year is that little flat spot that is about 8or 10" wide- once on there it rides pretty solid and visually it looks like it is well supported. The first boat I had which was a 19' bow rider and it had the latter trailer, all you had to do was point it in the right direction and it loaded up perfectly- I really just thought when it came to boats this large the bunks was about the only option. Mine came with the POC trailer (which he gave me) I have and I guess I have gotten used to it. I don't deal much with currents and such.
    Thanks Guys. Appreciate the input. Yeah I didn't have a choice in the matter with the bunk setup. It was a take it or leave it affair and if I passed I'd be on the list for the  end of Oct. 

that would be be helpful Greg. I sent Rinker a note asking for measurements but haven't heard back. 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not to late to do a little modification, nice trailer 
    Boat Name : 

No it's not but figured since I have it like this already, try it out. As it is, I'll still have to set it up once Greg has a chance to see his old measurements. 

Make sure you get rollers in the center of your new trailer. That was one mistake that I made with my old Venture trailer. If the manufacturer won't put them on, get them from a trailer dealer or Amazon.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Thanks for all the help Greg and others. 

We pulled it yesterday and the trailer fit nice other than for having to rearrange the winch post. 

Changed the gimbal bearing, checked all the bellows and they looked fine. Noticed the ujoints looked a little dry but there was no play. Couldn't see anywhere to grease them so just left them.  

Dropped it it back in the water and we're good for a few weeks when it comes out for the winter. 

On on a side note, I was worried about my 16 f150 5.0 pulling it. But there were no issues. Pulled it great no surprises other than for the height of the **** boat on a trailer. Had to be really careful not to take out any wires across my street. 
    Oh and ordered a couple keel rollers. When I put it back in. Guess I wasn't deep enough and could hear a scraping from the keel on one of the cross members. Sounded awful. Friggin annoying. We'll see when she comes out in a few weeks how bad it is. 
    My trailer has some vinyl pieces on the trailer cross members so that it slides across and does not scrape. I also have an F150 for my 270- 5.4L. I'm guessing your 280 and my 270 are about the same weight? The only issue I had was at the ramp- I had to play around with my tongue weight and I also put some all terrain 18" tires and wheels on with a wider profile to get a little more grip at the ramp. We have some steep ramps around here even on the fresh water and the water levels vary greatly during the year. would love to have the new 2018 Eco Boost with the 10 speed transmission- it would be rated higher than the 5.0 or 5.4 L motor for towing.