Partial Winterization

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
Looks like the temps are going down to 25 in Annapolis Friday with a chance of snow on Sunday.  Guess i am heading out to the boat to do at least winterize the fresh water system on Friday.  I have an engine compartment heater that i will plug in but it wont help the water lines forward.  I am due to be pulled out in a few weeks so I guess this isn't too bad.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Yeah, it's definitely cooling off here.  Mine is done and covered.  Got plenty of wood stacked up on the patio ready to go!

The water is still plenty warm, so you should be fine for a while.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not turn your heat on inside the boat? That should keep your fresh water system good.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't keep the topside warm.. I'm down at the boat in the heavy rain right now winterizing the fresh water system... don't forget the head.!
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine cuts off too frequently with HPF reading. Just isn't worth the risk. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

David,

Sounds like another issue to troubleshoot in the spring.  (yeah, always something with a boat)  The A/C or heat should be able to run for weeks without HPF issues.  Are you getting clogs in the strainer or something else when it alarms?

As far as the water systems.  You can also connect an air compressor to your city water connection (after running water out of tank and draining hot water) and just blow the water out of the lines.  I do that before I put pink thru, but for a weekend like what's coming up, so doing that would be sufficient.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

My slip is in about 4 ft of water at low tide and near the end of the creek.  So i get grass, Jelly fish and other fun stuff that gets sucked up at times.  Sometimes it will run without an issue.  Other times it just acts like a shop vac for junk in the water and shuts off every 20 min.  They need to make a boost or reverse button to allow you to clear these things out easier. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Water temps in the Potomac and Chesapeake are still in the high 50's to low 60's, so I'm not concerned about one night of cold air.  Still, I'll turn on the HVAC to 60 degrees just to play it safe.  
    I get pulled in two weeks so while i could of chanced it i chose to just winterize the water system and holding tank.  Put my bilge heater back in and plugged it in and left it at that.  The way my luck has been running this year i would of been the exception and had busted lines from freezing.  Better safe than sorry, right now i cant afford to be sorry.  Stay warm fellas.