Size of Portable Generator

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
The only experience I wasn't able to accomplish in our first season as a cruiser was a true overnight on the hook. We spent about 20 nights out, but always at a marina or slip with hydro. All because the Admiral is a bit of a nervous sort and has an insane fear of all of our batteries going dead and us being stranded, even though I've patiently explained how the battery switch with separate battery banks works and how we reserve the starting battery for starting only.
So....my only other alternative is to pick up a portable generator/inverter as  a back up.
I know there is a whole other discussion on the safe use of portable generators on boats, I've got my head around that.
My question is, I have a 3 bank 20 Amp ProMariner Prosport onboard battery charger that is rated at full draw for 20 amps, so at 110V, about 2200 Watts. Specs below.
The generator brand I am considering is available in either a 1000W (900 Continuous) or 2000W (1750 Continuous) both at 15 amp of course (well, probably actual is around 13.7 I would think).
My preference is the smaller unit based on weight and size. Slightly cheaper too, but that's not the primary consideration, the difference is only a couple of hundred bucks. My cooktop is electric and draws 1500 watts, so the smaller gen wouldn't allow us to use that on the hook, but we're ok with that, always have a BBQ with us.
So my long winded question is, will the smaller unit be adequate to feed the charger, even if it takes longer to charge? Or do I need the 2000 Watt model to not cause issues with the charger? And for those of you that have/are using portable gen's, what are you using?

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My $0.02, I'd get a jump box instead of a generator.  Solves the "dead starting battery" issue.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the 2000w Ryobi portable generator for my boat. It runs the air, which is all that I really use it for. It is just as quiet as the comparable Honda unit, for less cost.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Honda eu2000 just so my wife can use the hair dryer.... I have had my 3 bank charger running off of my generator without an issue.... and even if you’re still worried about it, spend an extra $13 and get the 10’ battery charging cable that plugs directly into the generator. 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have thought about that too @Stodge. Another battery to keep charged, and my fridge is 12V only so the Gen allows me to run that as much as needed,and I can use it at home as a back up too.
    @Cableguy Greg I like a lot of the Ryobi stuff and I like the wheels on that too.
    The brand I'm considering is a Kipor. We have a relationship with them at work, so can get a unit at pretty much cost. A Chinese copy of a Honda, but at less than half the cost. In fact, I believe I read somewhere that Kipor manufactured the early Honda Generators before Honda got their own plant up and running.
    Either of you have thoughts on the 1000 vs. 2000 thing?
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigger is better, i bet the 1000 will not run the AC, But I have built in genny. my .02 cents. 
    Boat Name : 

No A.C. (I wish!)
    Be mostly to keep batteries topped up. 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get the 2000w with the 30 amp plug. It comes in very handy with many things. Plus you need over 1000w for coffee.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Plus you need over 1000w for coffee.
    Ahhh....a very important consideration. I do have a butane burner with a percolate I use above deck, but the toaster is nice too...sounding like 2000 watts even if bigger and heavier.
    I've stayed out on the hook, many nite's when the weather is right, No AC, the battrie never when't down, your house battrie should last just fine. But inconveniencing your wife is a different story. You have two battries, tell her one is a back up. A jump box is only $70. you just have to make sure it's charged, for back up. 
    You buy her a paddle. lol , a 270 is slightly harder to paddle than a canoe. 
    Boat Name : 

Not all Honda's have the 30amp plug but some models do. I stay on the hook all the time it seems to make it about 36 hours(342 and 270) before the need for charging, only thing on is usually the fridge and tunes. Most all of what I see is the 2000w. My 342 has a gen set ,I can run for about 2 hours at dinner time and stay all week no problem.
    Oh don't for get about the small jump box that fits in your pocket. 
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I used the Honda EU2000. It ran the a/c all nite and kept the batteries charged. A slight modification to the cooler storage area and it fit in it and out of the way. Nice to have the 2K watts for home back up too. Several cheaper versions in Northern Tool catalog. I also used the ProSport charger pictured above. -Paul
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    There is a bunch of information out there on how the Honda 2000 can run up to a 16,000 BTU marine air unit, you need an additional surge receptor to be able to do a 16,000. If you want to run the air on the hook I think that you need a Honda 2000 at least or comparable. agree with the comments that you can get a similar unit much cheaper but I will make the comment that we have a Honda 2000. It is at least 10 years old and has truly been used and abused within my family, not even sure who owns it within the family but it gets passed around to whoever needs it and when it comes to me it gets an oil change which is every couple of years. Still even after sitting in an attic for 2 years with old gas it fires right up and will run all night long if we need it to, really is top quality. Anyway I agree with Stodge that if the concern is not running AC at night and just re starting the boat in the morning then a jump box is the cheapest and easiest way to go. I've gone 8 - 10 hours running 2 fridges on the hook and still our on board genny fires right up in the morning. 
    RenneChris - Are you saying that you can go 36 hours on batteries on the hook between charges? Both fridges running? WOW! How are your batteries set up? 4 batteries?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I would take the $1000 you'll spend on the genny, cables, gas tank, etc. and instead invest in 200-300W of solar and an MPPT charger. The flexible panels could be attached to the bimini, and with 300W , an MPPT charger, and a cloudy day you'll be able to top off a battery in a few hours. If, for some reason the batteries are both dead, you might waste an hour or two enjoying the anchorage.

I'm going this route and if my math is correct the 300W panels should be enough to keep up with the fridge being run year-round.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take the $1000 you'll spend on the genny, cables, gas tank, etc. and instead invest in 200-300W of solar and an MPPT charger. The flexible panels could be attached to the bimini, and with 300W , an MPPT charger, and a cloudy day you'll be able to top off a battery in a few hours. If, for some reason the batteries are both dead, you might waste an hour or two enjoying the anchorage.

I'm going this route and if my math is correct the 300W panels should be enough to keep up with the fridge being run year-round.
    Very interesting! If I could invest under $500 and be able to run my galley and cockpit fridges for a couple of days that would be outstanding! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

I would take the $1000 you'll spend on the genny, cables, gas tank, etc. and instead invest in 200-300W of solar and an MPPT charger. 
    Hmmm.... interesting idea, and I like it. But part of the rationale behind the generator is that I have other uses for it. Working on the boat while dry docked for winter, emergency back up at home, etc. Which also is now making me think to just go 2000 watts. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bought one too 3400W. $891. Champion with an RV plug.
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only needed the generator one time this summer, was to run the AC while on a mooring. Other than that I went for days at a time with the fridge/stereo/lights running with minimal engine on time.. have two of the biggest lead acid batterys I could get at home depot (for 109 each).. they have served well!  
    My optima starting battery is less than a year old and pretty weak.. def not going to do that again. 
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    Now, we need to fabricate a platform that mounts on the bumper so I can run the genny while traveling to keep the AC on 
    Does Handy have a new camper? More big boy toy's . 
    Boat Name : 

Yup, 26 foot for evacuation purposes and some quiet weekends. 
    Now, we need to fabricate a platform that mounts on the bumper so I can run the genny while traveling to keep the AC on 
    Water supply is the tough part if you're talking the boat. On the RV it's possible - used to do it with the genny in the pickup bed and a cord run to the trailer - figured it was better to be able to monitor the genny.
    My cord plugs in the very rear of the RV and I tow with a suburban. 
    Good one diggin. Remind me not to buy anymore of your projects. LOL
    That's it! Handy put the genny on top of your suburban. Duck tape cord across the top of camper down the back and plug in.  That picture reminds me of the Red Green show. 
    Boat Name : 

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Unbelievable! That's what I love about Americans....NO one can dream up the stuff that they can!!!!! Except for Red/Green who was a Canuck, eh?
    Just don't buy a diesel genny and it should fit in the backseat. :-)

In all seriousness - there are a few concerns with leaving the genny going while driving. Ours shut down if we hit any considerable bumps - the carb wasn't designed to be mobile. We remedied that by converting to propane. I've heard stories of calamities that ended in fire and one guy electrifying their tow vehicle, but if you install it properly and use a little common sense you shouldn't have a problem.