RECORD COLD TONIGHT

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
They are predicting record setting cold temps here in Connecticut tonight ( 10 - 12 F below zero ). I have winterized my own boats for over 25 years without incident, but times like this still make me nervous!!

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    We are frozen here in Boston also........ -4 and 65/70 mph winds. We also had a 16.6 foot tide that caused massive flooding.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When your in the winterize mode, you have to prepare for this kinda weather. I remember after my second trip to get the pink stuff, Maybe it will be mild like last year. Do I really need all this? was the question in my mind. As it turns out YES, needed all of it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a cold last night 37 but will be 70 today. Working on boat projects and yard stuff. 
    Yesterday was a record -32 wind chill in Boston............ This is nutz..... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put a gallon of the walmart pink stuff on the deck last night and it is still in the liquid state. So just maybe the boat is ok. It was -7 last night in northern CT.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put a gallon of the walmart pink stuff on the deck last night and it is still in the liquid state. So just maybe the boat is ok. It was -7 last night in northern CT.
    Was that -30 or -60 stuff??
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a -18F without windchill on Sat in upper Mich. Cold skiing day!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited January 2018

Yeah, it is weeks like this I wonder how the pink stuff holds up.  An entire week below freezing here in MD is quite unusual, let alone many nights in the single digits. (I know, lots of you guys are colder) 

I left one or two things in my dock box that I'm afraid may not be much good after this winter (like 303 cleaner and vinyl adhesive).  I had thought about it last week but was too lazy to go down (not sure why, but this really cold weather has made me lazier).  I'll get down there this coming week and start some projects.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:

Yeah, it is weeks like this I wonder how the pink stuff holds up.  An entire week below freezing here in MD is quite unusual, let alone many nights in the single digits. (I know, lots of you guys are colder) 

I left one or two things in my dock box that I'm afraid may not be much good after this winter (like 303 cleaner and vinyl adhesive).  I had thought about it last week but was too lazy to go down (not sure why, but this really cold weather has made me lazier).  I'll get down there this coming week and start some projects.

I treaked out into the yard before through the snow to check on the boat. I checked the water lines (what I could see) and the freeze plugs on the engine. Everything still looks to be in tact. The pink stuff looks pretty solid in the lines but didn’t see any cracks or busted connections.
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get -30 regularly.  Unless your pink stuff is different from our pink stuff, you're fine.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    edited January 2018
    I used Sta-bil pink this year for the first time and it says it has burst protection up to -75. It’s just something that’s always in the back of my mind in the winter.
    2008 330EC
    -50 stuff supertech 0.9° now and its not even slushy 
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You have to put it in a clear tube and see if it still does that.. 
    @J3ff Done,will check in the am
    edited January 2018
    About 3-4 years ago when we had a really cold week, I put purple and 2 different pinks in paper cups. I think they were  -50, -75 and -100 and all 3 turned to slush. I don't mind if they freeze, it's the burst protection I worry about.
    2008 330EC
    What does burst protection even mean? 
    I believe it means it will freeze but not put enough pressure on an item to crack it.
    2008 330EC
    Good test. 
    Boat Name : 

When I checked on my water lines the pink was frozen but the pink in the toilet was still liquid.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if it freezes solid, I think it doesn't expand like water does.
  • gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    I used the pink and it froze at 30 degrees, realized I used gatorade!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good reference: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-Antifreeze

Our boat is in a bunker, unheated but out of the weather. Comparing my garage last week (unheated), the lowest I saw it at was 26F when it was below 0 outside. Where it's at is a quality marina and service operation that would use good stuff so I am confident all is well, even if it got real low in the bunker.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

9° this moning you can see the slush in the line but still can pour it out. Gallon all liquid no slush. Should of put a black line on the tube to check for expansion. Going in to a warming trend this week.
    This will freeze how many of us with ice makers get pink cube when turning it on for the first time in the spring????? Just say'n
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    raybo3 said:
    This will freeze how many of us with ice makers get pink cube when turning it on for the first time in the spring????? Just say'n

Yep, I get pink ice cubes! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X3 on pink cubes. I run antifreeze to the valve and then blow out the line from the valve to the box with my mouth.
    Good stuff on the test Chris. I use that same Walmart Marine/RV stuff on all of my water lines and then use Starbrite Wintersafe -50 on my engines and generator. Will be interesting, I keep the boat in cold storage but on the other side of the wall is their heated storage. Last year it never went below 45 where I am but this year will be different I am sure. We saw single digits for a week. I left a digital thermometer on top of the Generator in October that should record the lowest temp it sees. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. So it sounds like most of you guys run the pink stuff into the water system and leave it there? And leave blue engine plugs in? Around here we usually use the pink stuff by running it through the system like a flush to push out water, but then pulling plugs and lines so most of it drains and the system is "dry"so to speak. Any residual pink stuff left will then handle the cold. And then opposite in spring, running water through everything and hooking up as you go so the pink stuff mostly gets flushed so no pink smelly water or ice cubes. Or at least not as bad.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I leave all pink stuff in the engines and water lines. There has been debate on this here before and it ends with personal preference. Some feel that its better to drain the antifreeze for the winter as air does not freeze. Some feel that its better to leave the antifreeze in as it has corrosion inhibitors and keeps gaskets lubed. Again, personal preferance. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)