Anyone planning a trip to the bahamas in the next 90days

dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
i've been dreaming of going to the bahamas on my own boat for the past 3yrs. Building a new home and other projects have caused me to put the trip off till this year. I'm hoping to hook up with other boaters who plan on a trip to the bahamas soon.
i have never been there although i have done tons of research on every aspect of making this trip but i no i still have a lot to learn. I have a good 10-12 yrs boating expirence,all on lakes and rivers,non in open ocean.
i have no doubt my boat is capable of making the trip without a problem as i have went through everything on my boat making sure its sea worthy. I have a meticulously maintained 1996 Captiva 232 cuddy cabin with a 7.4 L engine a bravo three outdrive.
 I am open to any date of departure and return I can stay for as long as I desire I'm self-employed and I don't have to answer to anyone I'm not afraid to do this trip on my own but I prefer to travel with  experienced boaters. I've done a search for boaters going to the Bahamas but I've not been able to come up with anything on the web.
 This is been my dream to make this trip it is on my bucket list I feel like I have to do it just to prove I can  and I'm not gonna be happy until I do it.  I would really like to go sometime in May.  Anyone who can steer me in the direction of where I might hook up with some other boaters going I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you have enough fuel capacity?
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take it out in some 6+ foot waves and see how she does.. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a good read with some good advice.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/october/bahamas.asp
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Here is an updated read on doing the crossing and what to expect.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2017/april/boaters-guide-to-crossing-the-border.asp

Go Steelers!!!
  • dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Are you sure you have enough fuel capacity?
    Well I'm pretty sure they sell fuel in the Bahamas I won't have enough to last me a whole trip the whole time i plan on staying there
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they have fuel
    i get the idea that most of you think its not a good idea for me to take my 23.5 foot boat,1996 Rinker captiva 232 cc with 7.4L and bravo 3,all of which are in tip top shape,to the Bahamas especially sense ive never been on the ocean in a boat. im not scared,ive watched dozens of videos on youtube where folks are doing this trip in much smaller boats as well as on jet skis. i believe my boat would make the crossing no problem,i do not plan on leaving in rough seas. shouldnt take much over hour if that,my top speed is 57 mph but dont plan on running hard. ive been on the water in all conditions in boats as well as on jet skis for over 20yrs. i feel that i can do this,its been a dream of mine for past 3yrs. ive read everything i can find about crossing as well as watched ever video i could find/ dont get me wrong,im not being cocky,i realize there are dangers but im not allowing that to stop me. i am a cautious person,i dont take unnecessary risks,i can handle my boat with confidence being ive got 20 yrs on the water. i am not taking the trip lightly. i am however taking 3 beautiful young ladies along to keep things interesting,we all 3 get along great and are "to gather"  a lot, yes you have the right idea,yes i am a very lucky man as i am 56yrs old and they are both 30yrs old. makes for a vacation of a life time. thank you all for your concerns. if theres anything anyone can ad that would make the trip safer,let me no.
    Sounds like a trip to me! I would if I were going just make the crossing with someone else. I think the power squadron in West Palm or somewhere around there does a host of sorts getting boaters back and forth in a group? Not 100% but seems I have heard that somewhere along the way.....good luck, have fun and post the pictures! Planning will be everything. 
    Hey..All I said was take the boat out in some waves to get used to it... I just did this today in mine.  My 30 ft boat was reduced to feeling like a toy in some six foot waves
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were you as said before, I would try and find someone (another boater) to boat with. You should go! There has to be others making the trip daily.  How to get in touch with others is the hard part. Living up here in the midwest. Ras lives to far north Handy live's on the other side. But there was a guy posted on here that made the trip often. A capitan, maybe @Handy remember's his Name.  
    Boat Name : 

Check with the power squadron group...i think they put these trips together. Good luck, send us the pictures or at least the ones that meet forum guidelines!
    Thank you for all of your device I put my trip off till the spring I plan on doing it in the next 2 to 3 months.  Is there anyone else that plans a trip to the Bahamas during the next 2 to 3 months ?  I would very much like to hook up with other boaters to make the crossing 
    No one on here has the gonads to make that trip except me and I just don't have the time.  
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I'm was going to, then my dad decided to have a 60th birthday cruise and we're taking that instead.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend who took a boat about that size from Florida to the Bahamas.  He broke down on the way and it was a challenge at best to get assistance.  I'd highly recommend researching the towing/assistance options and consider an EPIRB or other satellite communication device.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• 04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    I too have this trip on my bucket list and everything I have read says to take a boat with 2 engines in case of a problem with 1. I too have seen a video of a guy on a jet ski make the trip while running with a center console and they also had a drone out for most of the trip. I think if you have the time to wait for good seas, a single engine boat would be fine, especially in a group of other boats. Something about taking your own boat across the water and waking up in the Bahamas is exciting to me! I hope you get to do it soon! I'm probably a few years at best from doing the trip. 
    No one on here has the gonads to make that trip except me and I just don't have the time.  
    Oh really? No-one??? :P Count me in as have gonads to make that trip anytime! 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited March 2018
    Pretty bold statement to say, but somehow doesn't surprise me who it's coming from. (even someone that hasn't done it and lives in FL :)). There are people on here that have done the great loop, crossed great lakes that can be much further and rougher, and travelled in oceans a much greater distance...just sayin' :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it only like 70 miles? Depending on which port you leave from I'm sure.....but that is nothing.  Every single summer, I head up Lake Powell over 90 miles both with groups or solo. The dangers aren't there like the ocean, but 6 foot waves are a common occurance in Monsoon storms  B) 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Dream_Inn said:
    Pretty bold statement to say, but somehow doesn't surprise me who it's coming from. (even someone that hasn't done it and lives in FL :)). There are people on here that have done the great loop, crossed great lakes that can be much further and rougher, and travelled in oceans a much greater distance...just sayin' :)
    Great loop is rivers, lakes and inter costal. Thats easier than the Bay. 
    People do it on jet skis right time of the year, no gonads needed!
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    For the first time I would make the trip with someone who has made it before ,if I was traveling alone I would feel more comfortable with a boat with twins (motors I mean not the girls )
    If you want to go in a group, here is a link for trips on different dates.

https://www.bahamas.com/faq/boating-flings

Go Steelers!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • joey91279joey91279 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I too have a similar dream of making that trip! I have watched numerous YouTube videos of people in smaller boat and waverunners and they make it look easy!! Do it and have a blast!!!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Respectfully - arm yourself, first. Have been there a number of times - those are some dangerous waters!
    But don't get caught with it or so I'm told...
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Respectfully - arm yourself, first. Have been there a number of times - those are some dangerous waters!
    Agree. With the recent storms the islands have a greater percentage of the population living in poverty, and they don't have the social programs the US has to feed and house the poor. Good people can have unclear thoughts when they're desperate.

In college I crossed over in a Cessna, then stayed on a friends boat. We were approached by an unknown boat late at night, running without navigation lights, with 4 younger guys on board. I don't know what they intended, but when we racked the shotgun they turned and dropped the hammer. An hour or so later the VHF came to life - a similar boat had been spotted towing a boat from an anchorage - when they found the boat in the morning it was stripped of it's anchors, motors, hydraulic steering, fishing gear, and batteries.

rasbury said:
    But don't get caught with it or so I'm told...

https://www.myoutislands.com/bahamas-sailing/bahamas-boating-regulations:

"You must declare all onboard firearms with Customs. You must provide the firearm serial number and manufacturer, plus an exact count of ammunition. Though you are allowed to have a firearm on your vessel, you cannot take it off the vessel unless you obtain a permit from the Bahamian police ahead of time. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times. Any infraction of this law is dealt with severely."

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Little different with just a chart ,compass and parallel ruler 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Alswagg said:
    I ran a  trip to the Bahamas from Dania Beach area in 1988.  I was in a 27’ Bayliner.  I was only 20 years old.  No Gps either.  Yep no Gonnads. Huh.  
    You need big gonnads just to go on a Bayliner....... Sorry could not help myself....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com