Options

Potomac Rinkervous '18

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Well, after talking the last few weekends with @LaRea , we've decided on getting started a 1st Rinkervous this year on the Potomac River.  Still working out some of the logistics, but the date is pretty set.  It's going to be June 29 - July 1.  Right now we'll have several boats already - Dream 'Inn, LaRea, Pau Hana, & Delphini.  A couple 400s, 390 & a 370!  A good start for the anchor base! :) 

We need to still figure out the location (LaRea is working on it), but we are up for ideas.  I just ask that it's somewhere between Colonial Beach and Mt. Vernon if possible.  Also somewhere that we can at least dinghy pets to shore every now and then and would prefer a calm anchorage.

Oh, the best part, the theme!!  I think it has got to be a Luau Party theme!  It just seems appropriate!  Am I missing something LaRea?

@onislandtime@06Rinker270 @Dude_Himself There's gotta be more of you ??

So, who's in???

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, time for us Long Island sound guys to have one too, anyone in? :) (sorry for the off topic) 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff I didn't realize you're on the Island, what part?? I live in Setauket but keep my boat on the South Shore in Blue Point.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Alright, time for us Long Island sound guys to have one too, anyone in? :) (sorry for the off topic) 
    Make sure to ask your local Rinker dealer if they'd partake or even sponsor something.  Now, back to the actual topic.  POTOMAC Rinkervous! :|  :)

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I am on Long Island too and keep my boat in Blue Point too.
  • Options
    @J3ff , I reread your post I'm thinking you're in Connecticut? Would be tough to meet up being on the South Shore of the Island but doable. There's a chance I might put my boat in Port Jefferson for a week this summer. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    okay, will set up a thread about it.  Back to the Potomac.. wonder how many live around there??? 
  • Options
    RansnanRansnan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Dream inn , how long of a ride do you think that would be for me ?  We're about 45 -55 minutes north of Annapolis , our marina is at the mouth of the Middle River
  • Options
    Ransnan said:
    Dream inn , how long of a ride do you think that would be for me ?  We're about 45 -55 minutes north of Annapolis , our marina is at the mouth of the Middle River

It depends on where we end up on the Potomac.  If it is near Colonial Beach, it would be maybe total a 4 hour ride for you.  If you could meet us on Thursday evening at the South River...then you'd have a nice smooth ride behind all of us! :)

• Options
    RansnanRansnan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    I'm going to try n talk the Boss Lady into going, since we can't do Still Pond this year
  • Options
    Ransnan said:
    I'm going to try n talk the Boss Lady into going, since we can't do Still Pond this year

That would be fantastic!

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Is anybody here familiar with Nanjemoy Creek?  I've cruised past it 100 times, but never stopped.  

Same with Aquia Creek - it's really pretty, but I've never anchored there.  Also, that's starting to get pretty far up-river.  

After Aquia, you really have to go all the way to Mattawoman to find a protected anchorage.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you will find a spot that's as nice as Dreams spot simply because there is not many beach areas if you will. 
  • Options

Nanjemoy is probably location-wise a good spot.  I'll have to look thru some books I have to see what they say about anchorages on the Potomac.

A beach area would be nice, but doesn't have to be.  We can make it unique and different from the Chesapeake one!  Maybe Patrick or others will chime in as time goes along and something good will come up! :)

• Options
    What do you think about this spot on the Wicomico river?  Secluded sand beach, deep water, lots of places to explore by dinghy.  It's 40 miles from the bay, 60 miles from Alexandria.  Looks really nice, but I've never been there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3732265,-76.8470381,354m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
  • Options
    Well you could play golf next door and maybe bump into a bull shark or two. LOL
  • Options
    Oh, and you will definitely hear Budds Creek at night
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    What do you think about this spot on the Wicomico river?  Secluded sand beach, deep water, lots of places to explore by dinghy.  It's 40 miles from the bay, 60 miles from Alexandria.  Looks really nice, but I've never been there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3732265,-76.8470381,354m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

That looks perfect to me!!  Probably only a strong southern or westerly wind could make it rough, but I think it'll work out fine!  Great find!

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    My apologizes @Dream_Inn been away for too long.  Of course you decide this the year I am moving my boat to Annapolis!  I will for sure do the Still Pond event but now I want to do the Potomac as well.  My first thought would be swan point, 38.2902911,-76.9212860, which has beach access but it depends on how many boats.  We go there a lot as it’s almost directly east from Colonial Beach.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Hey Patrick!  I totally forgot you were moving the boat this year!  You and LaRea were my main reason to get this going! :)  I'm hoping to see some others chime in from the Potomac or southern bay area.  Swan point looked ok, but I imagine it could rough there too.

• Options
    @06Rinker270 - have you been to the spot up in the Wicomico?  It looks like a great spot unless there's something not obvious about it.  
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn I hope to make both but the Potomac one might be challenging with the new addition to the family.

@LaRea I have not which is strange because I always ask around where other boaters go in my area.  It looks like a nice spot.  I can ask around to see if anyone in CB knows of it.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

So, I thought I'd add a little picture of the trip several of us are going to take and hook up with @LaRea for Potomac Rinkervous and fireworks up in DC.  Looks like it will be about 400 miles for the entire trip.  Whew!  The gas we'll burn between 2 400s & a 390 doing the entire trip and a 370 doing half of it!!  The fun will outweigh the gallons of fuel by a factor of 10!!! :)

• Options
    Dream, how did you make that map?
  • Options
    Lets see, 400 miles at 3.50 a gallon equals HF
  • Options
    Wow that is a dream trip.  Second on what you used to make that map. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Lets see, 400 miles at 3.50 a gallon equals HF
    That's nothing for a 10 night vacation and doing what you love!! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice trip, your guy's gas burn will be more than I use in a year.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Once they get to DC, I might drag them up to Chain Bridge.  That would give them bragging rights that they covered the entire navigable Potomac.  

• Options
    Sounds good to me LaRea!! I'd like to see that 3 sisters anchorage you spoke about. As far as the map, I just used Google, right clicked on it and use the measurements tool. I copied it with snag-it and added the text.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a pretty cool trip! Assuming all of those big Rinkers are outdrive boats and not V drive I assume $1500 in fuel? Not too bad....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)