mercathode

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was just reading an article about the mercathode system and it states that it will kill your battery if you do not keep it on a charger...never thought of that!

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cathode only draws power when in the water
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm...how does it know when it's in the water? Article did not mention that but don't question that's not true...somehow would make sense! Article also said it should be wired so it is hot all the time, just like the bilge pump.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is supposed to be wired hot all the time. That way it gives you protection 24/7. Have you replaced the module on the bottom of the gimbal housing? If not, I would do so while you are doing all of the work.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I could not get it off so ended up cutting the wires so yes...pretty much redoing the steering pin also...might as well at this point!
    I have corrosion due the leak, good shape on the electrolysis.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cathode only draws power when in the water
    A timely thread. I just had my Mercathode system changed out as part of a drive and bwllows re-seal. @Handymans342 I  trust your opinion (for a diesel guy  :p) but is that 100% certain? Need the water contact to complete the circuit? I want to install my batteries later this week in prep for launch but that won't be for a few more weeks. I had been holding off for fear if the Mercathode draining them while on blocks.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    That's what @Alswagg has said on a few other threads. Since I am on a lift I can take a DC amp meter this weekend and let you know the reading out of the water .
    Will be interested to see the result - rate in going I will need to replace my batteries...
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The little wire is the + and the drive is the - so it has to have water to make the connection.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    ah, good to know, thanks!
    Yep, makes sense. Batteries going in Wednesday. :)
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    My MerCathode draws power on the trailer. I have to pull the house battery terminal off if I leave the boat more than a week.
    My MerCathode draws power on the trailer. I have to pull the house battery terminal off if I leave the boat more than a week.
    How do you know this??
    @Handyman342 Weren't you going to test this somehow or another?
    Saturday? You have to schedule that far in advance to walk 50 feet to the boat? Just kidding.....will be interesting to see the result!
    one thing about the mercathode was it trapped water underneath it and the manifold for the trim is taking a beating as a result. I am going to look at drilling some holes or something in it so it drains better- was not a huge deal but did kind of bother me....
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 I measured the current draw. Can't remember the exact number but the circuit, on the trailer and dry, was drawing current. Between that and the CO detector my old house battery would draw down 2-3 weeks without use.

Could be something PO did, but my single screw boat has two MerCathode units, one mounted on the backside of the engine, attached to the engine, and one mounted on the transom, attached to the outside. There's a couple goofy round "thingies" on the transom connected to the "brain" boxes.
    edited April 2018
    rasbury said:
    one thing about the mercathode was it trapped water underneath it and the manifold for the trim is taking a beating as a result. I am going to look at drilling some holes or something in it so it drains better- was not a huge deal but did kind of bother me....
    @rasbury why do you have this compulsion to want to drill holes into everything? When the boat is in the water the entire area of the trim maninfold and Mercathode anode is in the water anyway. Only reason a Mercathode anode should contribute to corrosion of the trim manifold is if it isn't working.

@Dude_Himself the older style Mercathode system used a round puck looking thing as the anodes that were mounted on either side of the transom, usually on the Alpha drives. Sounds like the PO went that route. Some info here: http://www.sterndrives.com/merc/driveparts/MERCATHODE KIT.html

And here is some good info and mounting instructions for the newer units. I might have even seen this someplace here in the archives:
    http://www.boatfix.com/merc/servmanl/14/14a7.pdf
    Down towards the bottom of the document there is also some excellent trouble shooting info for corrosion issues.

In either case, I am now wondering again about the question of does, or doesn't it draw power when not in the water. 
    To be on the safe side, when I install my batteries later today I think I'll just disconnect the Mercathode controller, will just have to remember to re-connect when splash time comes. IF it ever does....bloody cold weather....
    So, I got my new mercathode in, or at least the part of it that mounts on the bottom of the out drive and see it how has two holes for drainage!
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
     Guess Ill add this to my list .........
    My ups guy thinks Im building a boat from scratch 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GMSLITHO your not the only one I deliver boat parts too. Just saying. :D
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Ok took a look at mine after work took off the screws and no wires all corroded in the hole so glad I saw this thread  
    yep, that's how mine was too...no way it was working. I found the newer version for 120 bucks I think....looking over the parts book as it looks like there are some special washers perhaps........don't want to be cheap on this system...
    looks like I have to dig all corrosion out I really done want to take apart the trim hoses ,Im thinking I could clean it out with a metal reamer and some wire ,I think there was water seeping in there last year 
    Yea, don't pull apart anything you don't have to, it gets to be a mess...
  • Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I'm a little baffled.  I ordered a new Mercathode kit and I received components identical to the picture below  Is it simply a new style electrode or do I have the wrong one?  There's also a white wire coming out of the controller.  It's capped with a rubber plug and I've read that most people don't use it, but it seems difficult to get really good intel.
    Not sure waiting for mine to arrive
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a new style electrode that goes on the drive.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!