why does my new 2018 QX26 open bowrider bounce so much? What can I do to solve the problem?

lwatson17lwatson17 Member Posts: 1
Our new 2018 Rinker QX26 open bow rider is bouncing all over the lake even at lower speed.  It did not come with trim tabs.  What can we do?

Answers

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! Sounds like your not trimming your outdrive correctly. I think you have it trimmed too high.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @aero3113 said - you should trim the drive all the way down (in) when launching from a stop. 

After you get the boat up on plane, trim the drive up a little at a time until the bow starts bouncing (called porpoising).  When that happens, then trim it back down until the porpoising stops.  

You should also adjust your weight balance by changing where on the boat you position gear and people.  More weight in front will control porpoising.  Put the heavy drink cooler all the way up at the bow, not at the stern.  You might need to adjust the trim if people move around on the boat, or if sea conditions change.  

Great boat!  Welcome to the forum.  
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    and if you have it trimmed correctly and it stills porpoises  = look into getting the trim tabs=it was a option

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trim tabs, even just the self adjusting will make I a new boat! Wait, already is, make it drive smoother - in addition to the other suggestions...
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are you trimming your drive?  LeRea has the answer. Trim tabs will help as well.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    more i think about it=speedboat needs tabs=both to keep the front down @speed
    and in rough water= i have a ole century arabian=it has to have tabs=it rides like how you describe yours w/o them
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
     @ Iwatson17, I think the QX26 is the same as the former 246 Captiva which is what I had. 350 MAG MPI, Bravo 3, 24 pitch prop set, Lenco trim tabs. I rarely used the tabs unless very windy or heavy waves or lots of folks on board, to even out the boats stance. Start with drive all the way down, no trim, full throttle until on plane, then reduce throttle and give drive trim a little shot upwards. The bow will come down and you'll feel a little boost in speed. You'll just have to finesse the trim a bit until you discern where the sweet spot is. Too much trim results in operator induced oscillation (porpoising).
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    three bladed props with a heavy rake like to lift the bow... four bladed props with less aggressive rake like to lift the stern.  

a three bladed prop with less rake won't lift the bow as much, while a four bladed prop with a heavy rake will both lift the stern and the bow.  

if you trim it out properly you shouldn't porpoise no matter what, but if you are trimming properly and still get too much lift- a prop better suited for your situation may be in order.  

remember, the prop is selected by the maker/dealer based on 'general' application and engine combo... the one you get is rarely the precise one you need or that would perform the best in your use.