Options

Poor performance for 2013 Rinker 260

Comments

• Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    The results of adding 100 lbs under the bow cushion and determines the plastic trim pin was as rinker recommended. The wider part of the trim pin was facing the front of the boat with the metal pin toward the rear. For the weight I put 2 -50 lbs bags of play sand and triple wrapped in plastic bags nothing else would have fit. Results. No more porpoising at WOT reached 5000Rpms for the first time 40 mph with 3 adults full tank of gas 1/3 tank of water. It seems to struggle right before planing for about 2 to 3 sec but overall much better than before. I am going to try to add another 25 lbs to the bow weight as randy said about 150 lbs and I have 100. I appreciate all the help from everyone Mikes342
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Mike! It looks you persevered and solved your issue! Please let us know how the additional weight goes. If the weight solves everything but the momentary "lag" just before planing you might want to look at slightly bigger trim tab plates? Good luck with the final dial-in! MT
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheap fix, got to love it. Congrats.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    still not happ with the amount of time to plane.  I am tking my boat to me dealer 100 miles away and Rinker is sending a rep to  check it out.  More to come.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed Mike. I'm sure Rinker will come up with a fix! MT
  • Options

Well here is the latest on my problem.  Randy Rinker took my boat out on the water and now it is going back to the factory. I feel a little better about it now.  I have been a boater for a long time and know how a boat should perform.  I am pleased that I didn't need to force them to do it, it is being done because it is the right thing to do.  I am pleased that Rinker wants to do the right thing.

I will keep everyone advised

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Words can't express how impressive that kind of response truly is in a day where everyone wants to wash their hands of an issue. GIGANTIC KUDOS TO R. RINKER for stepping up.  =D>
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man, that's great that Rinker is backing it up!!!!

I know nothing of boat manufacturing.... notta.... is the transom made with a cut out for the leg(s), or is it cut afterward? Is some sort of stencil used, if it's cut, or are measurements used for each individual hull?  Are there any differences between like models and the height of the leg in relation to the bottom, as in, how wet a leg is or can be?

It would seem to be even an inch or two deeper that leg sits could cause planing issues, no? I don't know, I'm reaching... it would seem an engine issue would be recoverable at the marina and not cost the boat a return to the maker... it would seem any issues with set-up or configuration could be repaired locally, too... I'm really curious as to what they come up with.

thanks in advance!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    That's good to hear they are looking more into the issue!  (bad to hear the issue is still there)  Good luck & keep us informed!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    That is awesome....Go Rinker....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Be nice to know what the problems & solutions are if you can share them. =D>

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I will share.  I have sent an email to ask him exactly what he feels the problem is.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm way way out in even suggesting this, but...

I've seen vehicles delivered where the castor and camber was already vexxed out one way or the other, making adjustments impossible until the axle itself is moved, which is a pita... What I suggested above, it would be evident by the location of the mounts, no? Isn't there wiggle room in that to adjust alignment? If so, and if the hulls transom is cut out as opposed to part of the mold, wouldn't imperfections be evidenced by how close the motor mounts are to maxed one way or the other in adjustment?

Like I said... I truly have zero to very little understanding of boat construction, and this is more a question to keep this thread alive until Mr. Rinker provides response..
  • Options
    I am very pleased with the importance Rinker has placed on my problem. Randy Rinker went to my dealer in Port Clinton Ohio drove the boat and he is having my boat picked up and returned to the factory for repairs. Wow, how many boat companies would even think of doing that. Normally they say that is a characteristic of the boat and you are stuck . They are going to make the repairs then test it with four adults before it is returned to my dealer. More to come
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats good to hear, good customer service is so hard to find nowadays.

Hopefully the outcome is something to your satisfaction.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great customer service.

Keep us up to date. Would like to know what the problem and fix is.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Randy Rinker sent me an email today telling me they have my boat at the factory. He felt it was porpoising that seem to concern him and he felt they could correct it and reduce my planing time at the same time..
  • Options
    I hope you can share the 'cure' with us! Be very interesting if is just your boat or the model itself.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    My money would be on bigger trim tabs. Putting more weight in the bow has diminishing returns, I doubt you could change the hull (strakes) enough and  a  bigger more powerful engine (even if it would fit) would just put more weight at the stern. So I'm going with some kind of tab alteration to, in effect, lengthen the hull. Fingers crossed for Mike! MT
  • Options
    Randy Rinker tested my boat that has all options incl air and genny. Pre repair with 4on board 410 lbs sitting in the stern seats one on captains seat and one in the seat opposite the captains seat planing time with full tabs 14 sec and boat had bow bounce when trying to trim. 9 seconds after repairs with full tabs and same weight. Also you can now trim the boat without bow bounce. Total weight of theb4 people was 870 lbs. I also received a complete fuel use age at each rpm. The report was a scientific explanation of my boat. The also took care of a few minor problem. Since it is cold up here I a Haven't driven the boat but Randy communicated with me and answered every question I had. The fix was building a hook in the hull toward the stern. Again haven't seen it but the detail that was given me will let me sleep better this winter. I am so happy I purchased a boat from a company that cares about their customers. Also Happy Days boating at Port Clinton Ohio on Lake Erie
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Mike  - That's really good news! I have been visiting this site every day hoping to hear from you but didn't !ask as I didn't want to cause you stress. I always felt that Randy would "make it right".....as I agree 100 % with you that Rinker IS a company that cares about its customers. Can you imagine another boat builder doing that? I bet, like the admiral and I, you can hardly wait for next boating season! ;-) MT
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    You are right ready for April. April 1 is the first day of my retirement also.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Congratulations. I have been retired for 6 years now. Every year is better. But fair warning, you won't have any more time on your hands - retirement is a full time job! :-) MT.....wait a minute April 1st ?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Mike342, that is great news!  Going from 14 to 9 seconds is a huge difference!  Definitely will be a long wait till April, but resting easy is great! & congrats on the retirement!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome! Been following closely on the post too. Great to hear about Randy personally taking care of it. Warm and fuzzy to say the least. Can't wait to hear your first post after the first ride if the season.

• Options
    I wonder if yours was a one off problem or a basic hull design problem?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Ok got the boat back.  They added a little fiberglass at the stern.  About 1 foot at the V probably 6 inches wide.  Boat does not porpoise anymore, increased speed at WOT.  The trim tabs are very sensitive.  I could virtually run lke a sailboat at WOT, with one tab all the way down and the other all the way up. The boat will com on plane rather easily compared to before the mod.  I haven't had more than just the admiral and I on board yet so more to come.  Having had many cruisers I have never had trim tabs that actually scared me, these do but I am getting used to the boat and how the trim and not over trim.  this is just an update.  more to come as I have only had the boat out once this summer so far

• Options

got an email from Randy today.  He said the boat will not tip over but because of the modification to the hull the trim tabs operate with a lot less trim than needed before the modification  So instead of moving the tab 5 lights might only have to move 2 lights on the trim tab indicator.    He said it is not unusual to have a little slippage when coming up on plane.

I am so please with Rinker answering my questions

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Glad all is well. Great customer service. Awesome!!!!!!!!!! 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com