Decal removal

aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,897Member ✭✭✭✭✭
I ordered two Whizzy Wheels to remove My faded top decal stripes, I don’t know if I’m going to reinstall the stripes or not. I was going to use a heat gun to help remove the old name on the transom but I think the wheel might work better. Any tips? Should be able to remove the stripe from the windshield forward with the shrink wrap on and the transom is fully accessible under the shrink wrap to remove the name.

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 2,237Member ✭✭✭✭
    That wheel will work but wife did with a heat gun in about 15 min. Comes off pretty eazy
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 1,312Member ✭✭✭
    I think the deciding factor as to stripes on again or off may depend on color underneath. If I could find our stripes I’d do them again mainly because I know the color underneath is more of an off white from factory versus the whiter white it’s sun bleached out to.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Rear Commodore, Crescent Boat Club

• PickleRickPickleRick Posts: 532Member ✭✭
    edited November 26
    I vote heat gun.  The wheel can generate too much heat and damage finish.  Sun bleach is possible but is it as noticeable after a good wax/polish?
  • mattiemattie Sarnia, OntarioPosts: 300Member ✭✭✭
    If you get any leftover decal glue, WD40 & a microfibre cloth will take it off. Works better than GooGone. 
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Posts: 569Member ✭✭✭
    Do the heat guns have settings for varying the output? I just used a hair dryer on low setting and all my vinyl graphics came off easily. Just had to take it slow so as to not tear vinyl as I was pulling it away from the hull. I left graphics off and thought the boat looked 100% better without. It originally had the goofy liberty graphics and "Captiva 246" 
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,897Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26
    @Glassguy54 , looks great!
    Ill try my heat gun on the transom name, but I think the wheel will need to be used on part of the stripes that are faded and cracked.

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 2,237Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wife said came off eazy. Started with heat gun and just pealed. Had to pick at it with finger nail. Followed by acetone on a rag. I buffed and waxed after. Color match is not noticeable.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Looks great @reneechris14 , did your stripes look like mine?
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Catawba IslandPosts: 81Member ✭✭
    Glassguy, that liberty stripe was a package that someone actually paid extra for!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 4,017Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a hair dryer to remove the old name on my boat. Didn’t take very long at all. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 2,490Member ✭✭✭✭
    We had good success with a heat gun, but our decals were only 6 years old at most. My neighbor in storage had 15+ year old decals that would chip little piece by piece and ended up with that 3M decal remover wheel and it was a lifesaver for him. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Syracuse, NYPosts: 289Member ✭✭
    Never really noticed stripes deteriorating like this until I started seeing a lot of Rinkers on this site.  Guys at my marina were wondering how mine got this way.  They suggested possible power washing or cleaning chemicals used by PO.  Don't know what that's all about.  

Anyway, I took mine off with hair drier and WD-40 for glue.  The more black that's missing like yours @aero3113, the more solvent needed and less of the heat.  A little more time consuming.   

• rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 5,621Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I re did the bottom with just hold but my top stripe and the 270 look awful...I was thinking of just putting old over the new...like a re roof!
    @Spyderweb , the areas that are bad is where I think the wheel will come in handy. From the windshield back, the decal looks like new and will hopefully peel off easily with some heat.
    The vinyl lettering came off extremely easy with a heat gun but left some adhesive behind. I tried Goo Gone and WD-40, they are working but very slowly. I want to see if I can find something stronger to help remove the adhesive.
    I just watched a couple of videos, I didn’t let the WD-40 sit long enough on the adhesive. I just sprayed it on and started to wipe. Will see....
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,127Member ✭✭✭✭
    Acetone will do it but be careful, can be nasty stuff. Watch yiyr skin and eyes but shoukd be safe for gel coat in decent shape.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Syracuse, NYPosts: 289Member ✭✭
    @aero3113, yes the WD40 needs to stay on a bit before wiping off.  I would spray it on and wipe it with my finger occasionally to keep it moist.  Then I would scrape it off with plastic razor blade.  Might then do same spot several times to get it all.  

Never used one of those wheels.  I can imagine a pass with it might take the worst of the adhesive off.  Then the solvent can clean up the rest.  That wouldn’t be bad.

Also mine was the same.  Window back was in pretty good shape.  Don’t know why that was.
    I ended up using toluene, it took the adhesive off with minimal effort. Now, hopefully I can compound/polish the faded parts of the transom door to match where the lettering was.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayPosts: 117Member
    aero3113 said:
    I ended up using toluene, it took the adhesive off with minimal effort. Now, hopefully I can compound/polish the faded parts of the transom door to match where the lettering was.
    I had some minor fading and the 3M compound did the trick.
    @YYZRC , we’re you able to do it by hand or did you have to use a wheel?
    edited November 28

I have a deWalt polisher that I used.  In my case, it wouldn’t have been possible by hand.  I removed the old lettering with a heat gun and razor blade plus Goo Gone.
    Ok, I have a wheel. Looks great!!
    Are those 7” or 8” letters?
    Just shy of 8"!  Charlie is 4"