Options

Decal removal

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where I removed the name, besides the difference in color, the gel coat seemed slightly raised. I wanted to compound the area and see if this goes away.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Spyderweb said:
    ... Guys at my marina were wondering how mine got this way.  They suggested possible power washing or cleaning chemicals used by PO.  Don't know what that's all about.  

A more likely explanation is a detailer who got carried away with polishing compound on a buffer.  When the stripes get a few years on them, anything more than a light touch with compound will take them off.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    aero3113 said:
    YYZRC said:
    I had some minor fading and the 3M compound did the trick.
    @YYZRC , which 3M compound did you use?
    3M Rubbing Compound, liquid.  Followed up with 3M Cleaner & Wax and then some polish.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Thanks @YYZRC !
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I removed what I could of the stripe with the shrink wrap still on. This wheel is amazing, 20 minutes and I have from the windshield forward finished on both sides. Makes a mess but will rinse right off.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Are you replacing the decal or...?

I ordered a replacement pinstripe from Rinker.  Mine is generally in good shape except the bow area.
  • Options
    Im not sure yet, curious to see how I will like it once I remove the shrink wrap.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took mine off a couple years ago. I like it better with out
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I tried to compound the ghosting from the old name. The ghosting was slightly raised, the compound did nothing. I decided to wet sand, I started with 400 and it got the lip down but I was surprised to see that the lettering was still visible. I guess the sun fade goes pretty deep into the gel coat. I had to order se finer sand paper to finish the job. Once the new name is on it will hardly be noticeable and will eventually fade even with the sun. If I didn’t wet sand, the old name would’ve been noticeable under the new because of the raised lip on each letter. Now it’s all nice and smooth.

Before wet sanding

After wet sanding

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow now that boat really loves its name :) I've never understood the lip, I had that too on another boat and never understood how the gelcoat gets raised. Must be a heat reaction? Definitely a nice improvement Aero! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Same issue on my boat; it faded to match quickly.  I don't think the old name is noticeable at all on my boat now and it was only in the sun for a week before going into the shed.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sun will do the work for you, maybe wait on new name. The 1st year I could see my old letting now it just white.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    When I first removed the lettering and saw how the shadow was raised I was very confused. Like you said @Liberty44140 it must be a heat reaction. I’m much happier that it’s all level now, just have a bunch more sanding to do. I also have to order the new decal.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I’ve been holding off on ordering the new name decal. Been trying to decide what size letters I should use for the hailing port 3” or 4” the boats not documented so I could do either size (would like to use 4” but will go with whatever works best). The name will be 8” letters. The transom door lock gets in the way, the original hailing port was 3” and just fit under the lock and slightly curved under. Should I keep it 3” and under the lock or go 4” move it slightly up, cut around the lock and use as much of the K as possible. I could also go lowercase with the hailing port and then I can shift it up to the bottom of the lock, top of the middle of the k (the K is the middle). There’s a chance that there’s enough room to move the name up an inch or so (there’s a body line limiting how far I can go up) and put the hailing port above the lock, I will have to measure to see if that’s possible. I know this seems petty, but it’s something that will bother me every time I step on the boat, LoL.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @aero3113, what happened to the 330 badge on the transom door?.  That's what limited me some.

• Options
    @Spyderweb, it must’ve been removed by the previous owner.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    aero great name 
  • Options
    Thank you @GMSLITHO , ironically it has nothing to do with my profession but is aviation related. I posted the meaning on another thread and will post it here also.

My wife’s family recently sold their summer house that her grandfather basically built himself (heart breaking). We have many memories staying there, we even had our wedding reception on the property. Her grandfather was in the navy (fighter pilot, flew **** Cats). He named the house “Folded Wings”. My father-in-law says he named the house that because of the aircraft on his fathers ship would have their wings folded to store them tight and keep them safe. 
    So, “Folded Wings” is going to be her new name.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the second lettering. I think the city name looks better lowercase. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura I’m kinda leaning towards that also but not set in stone. I emailed the decal company and they said that I can have the letters any size I want. So if I go 4” lettering I can have the lowercase letters any size I want. If I do it this way, I would have the red line at 3”.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree lower case on the Seatuket looks better 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, my opinion also.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Im thinking of going with the lower case and have the red line at 2 3/4 with the rest at 3 3/4. I wet sanded some more today with 600,800,1000 and 1200. Then polished with compound, nice and smooth now!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I received the new decal today, looks great other than then they got the size of the name wrong. They went 6.5” inches to get a total of 8” to the bottom of the “g” It will be 8” with a total of 10” to the bottom of the “g”. I spoke to the company and they apologized and the correct one is being shipped out today. Now I have an extra decal for the garage!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I had issues with my first decal.  I put it on my dock box. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I received the corrected decal today (top), measurements are correct and will fill the space better. Now I need to get the shrink wrap off to install it! Going to wait and see what happens the next couple of weeks with the virus before removing it.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    It’s official! Will have to do a ceremony when she’s in the water.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Looks great! Awesome job........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Thank you, I thought for sure I was going to F it up, LoL. I’m glad I had them custom size the hailing port so I can fit Setauket under the latch.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)