Options

Dry Joint Manifolds and Risers

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t researched it yet but that does look like the correct part. The discerption is weird though so not 100%.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could not enlarge but the tube at the back of the motor with the box around it is it. And if you were losing power steering fluid with no trace I'd suppose so but I'd think very unlikely...you'll see when you get it apart...
  • Options
    If it’s highly unlikely I probably won’t remove it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Could not enlarge but the tube at the back of the motor with the box around it is it. And if you were losing power steering fluid with no trace I'd suppose so but I'd think very unlikely...you'll see when you get it apart...
    My marina commented that they think mine is leaking as there was some sort of oil on the surface of the water after starting the engine. I will replace mine out of an abundance of caution. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I haven’t researched it yet but that does look like the correct part. The discerption is weird though so not 100%.
    I assume there is one cooler on each engine? Or does one engine use a dummy PS pump with no cooler?
  • Options
    I’m not sure if it’s on both.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    What about the power steering pump? Replace for preventative maintenance or are they pretty reliable?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    They are a standard GM power steering pump. I found out when mine got toasted and Mark wanted $700 for one and I got one of the auto parts store for 59.95
    As far as oil I would think you would notice the level going down on the power steering or the level going down on your lower unit fluid to see where it was coming from. It could be engine oil for that matter if you have some blow by on the rings or a bad valve seal. Just thinking out loud here.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @rasbury do you have a part number for the GM pump? Did you use your original reservoir and pulley or did it come with it?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Keep in mind the gm pump is physically the same, the valving between the two is different. I believe a thread on iboats discussed this in detail.

If it's worked fine for you id leave it be.  Id swap the old valve into the new pump. Something to consider while you're swapping the new pump into your reservoir.

Power steering pumps are pretty reliable, id replace if they are leaking and or making a wine. As far as i can tell mine is oe 1980s vintage.

• Options
    Yes, just like a car- how many times have you replaced one of those? Mine did go bad and not sure why...I used the same can and I think I swapped the valve but I can't remember now for sure. So far has not had a problem.bif you do replace the cooler be very careful when you tighten up the clamps- that brass will crush real easy...someone really made a mess of mine...
  • Options
    From your posted diagram it appears raw water goes through that cooler, i would consider that a wear item, more so in salt water use. If i am looking at that wrong and it's in the closed loop system only, you'd only need to replace it if there was corrosion/clog caused by neglect/age, the same neglect that causes a vehicles heater core to clog. Ive had success cleaning a heater core with vinegar soaking in it over night.  The old school green antifreeze and tap water must be changed frequently, 1 to 3 years in a vehicle.  The Orange/pink/blue/red is much better and use distilled water instead of tap.  No chlorine or heavy metals that may cause rust/corrosion.  The coolant system of my cast iron block 05 vw is much cleaner than that of my 01 power stroke.  The difference is the green vs orange/pink fluid.  Zero rust in the VW, tons in my old Ford.  

A little bellows adhesive on the inlet and outlet lip, torque it down using a nut driver instead of a ratchet.  

I can see @aero3113 at the parts counter,

@aero3113:  "i need these parts"

Parts person: which ones???

@aero3113: "all of them" 😄

If i had bought your 242 instead of my 235 id have had a much more relaxing winter.  
  • Options
    I can see @aero3113 at the parts counter,

@aero3113:  "i need these parts"

Parts person: which ones???

@aero3113: "all of them" 😄

If i had bought your 242 instead of my 235 id have had a much more relaxing winter.  
    LOL!  I was thinking I should have waited a couple years for Aero's 330 to hit the market - all new from the arch down.
  • Options
    so yes, that cooler gets water through it but it is as big around as the hose- no way for anything to obstruct it. You have then the power steering fluid going around it but it's not like there are a bunch of coils inside the cooler where the ps fluid is circulating...when you do take it off you will wonder how it does anything and why it is there....it gets raw water only and again, can't imagine how it would wear out any faster than any other surface that water contacts in the whole cooling system.....and it's brass so don't know what the difference between corrosion resistance from that to steal but assume it would be much better?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Just heard back from the amazing parts person at the marina, the part number for the PS cooler on my boat is 8M0125856.

OEM for $160 or aftermarket is $120 @ https://www.mrcool.us/8m0125856-mercruiser-power-steering-cooler.html

I think the "brass tube" that the parts diagrams reference is a filler tube for an application without PS.
  • Options
    I also dont know how long heat exchangers last in salt water, i know they are pricey.   Ive never seen closed loop cooling in person on our lakes.  Plenty of 20 to 30 yr old boats on the lake, 

The motor in my 93 rinker is a motor taken out of another boat, the engine stamp dates it as a 1988
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    That’s funny @PickleRick
    Funny thing is, I still kinda own my 242.
    The buyer paid me half and we have a contract for him to pay me off the rest by April 1st. He’s been paying me little by little. I still have the title in my possession in my name and have insurance on it. I winterized it and covered it, showing him “how to” along the way. He has a 2014 17ft Tide water center console he’s trying to sell.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @YYZRC , I’m open to offers!! LoL!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    aero3113 said:
    That’s funny @PickleRick
    The buyer paid me half and we have a contract for him to pay me off the rest by April 1st. He’s been paying me little by little. I still have the title in my possession in my name and have insurance on it. I winterized it and covered it, showing him “how to” along the way. He has a 2014 17ft Tide water center console he’s trying to sell.
    So let me get this straight - you offer payment plans and maintenance lessons?!
  • Options
    I had an interested buyer back around August, if he had gone through with it id have jumped on your 242, it would fit on my trailer without much adjustment.  

I hate roller trailers with a passion but the ease if adjustment cant really be beat
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    YYZRC said:
    aero3113 said:
    aero3113 said:
    That’s funny @PickleRick
    So let me get this straight - you offer payment plans and maintenance lessons?!
    The buyer must not have been a family member 😆
  • Options
    @YYZRC , if your a nice and honest person and I can tell it’s not a lie , Yes! 

@PickleRick , funny you say it’s not a family member. My brother-in-law wanted the boat in the worst way. He was calling and texting me every other day with questions about it. My wife and I both agree it wouldn’t be a smart move if I sold it to him. I’d end up being his personal maintenance manual and tech! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I wont admit the admiral is right very often but i allowed my mom to move into my rental property, then when she got tired of paying rent i got guilted into letting my little sis move in.   The little lady told me no no no all along, it wont end well....she was right, it didn't. 

Family/friends and finances dont mix. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately that is correct...if you have to help a family member that's one thing...if you get screwed by one that's another...
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @YYZRC , there is a power steering cooler on both engines. I don’t know if there’re the same part number, I think only one has the sensor in it. The port side could possibly have a plug in where the sensor goes, I should’ve looked it over more.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @YYZRC , there is a power steering cooler on both engines. I don’t know if there’re the same part number, I think only one has the sensor in it. The port side could possibly have a plug in where the sensor goes, I should’ve looked it over more.
    Thanks Aero! I ordered a pair of Mr Cool PS coolers last week - marina confirmed part numbers and that both PS coolers are the same. I will replace both out of caution and will pressure test the old starboard cooler to see if it was leaking and causing an oil sheen on the water at startup. I hope so as that would be an easy and cheap (in boat terms) fix. 
  • Options
    So what fluid level was going down? Have yet to hear what had to be topped off. Alswsg has stated that the out drive would lose a few ounces over their typical season and I'm guessing that is going out the prop shaft. If your losing power steering then that is in the beilge, not going out of the boat and if it is engine oil, out the exhaust. I'm sure someone can chime in with more experience then me...might even be a leaking seal on your power trim manifold or trim cylinders...but not from your power steering!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @rasbury , Oil on the outside and raw water flows through the middle to cool it. If the raw water corrodes the cooler from the inside, oil is going to leak out into the water out the back.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I get that but would suggest highly unlikely...guess we'll see when he gets it apart! And the most tell take sign of what fluid is going out, which resivoir is going down?