Dry Joint Manifolds and Risers

aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,897Member ✭✭✭✭✭
My 330 has dry joint manifolds and risers, my 242 had wet joint. I’m curious if dry joint have a longer life span than wet joint or the same?

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,897Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve read that with wet joint, you want to replace them before the water passages corrode and can potentially let water into the cylinders. With dry joint, you can wait until you see a slight rise in temperature because there is a highly unlikely chance water can get into the cylinders.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayPosts: 117Member
    edited November 29
    Are your risers/manifolds original?  How about your transom assemblies?  I'm fairly certain mine are original.

From what I can tell, my boat spent its entire life in the Mamaroneck area.  I have the Seacore parts so I'm hoping the transoms are ok.  I'm debating having the marina pull one of the risers to inspect.
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,897Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, port manifolds and risers were replaced 2014 and Starboard were replace 2018. My starboard transom assembly has a newer style decal than the port side, not sure if that means one was replaced or not. I don’t have any records on them.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayPosts: 117Member
    edited November 30
    My transom assemblies have what seems like 1/4" of anti fouling paint on them.  The original manuals came with the boat and I have the serial numbers of the original transom assemblies so I will compare next time I'm at the boat.  Not sure how to tell if/when the risers were replaced other than to say that they are OEM Merc parts and I suspect the PO would have gone with aftermarket if they were replaced.  10 years in salt water seems like a long lifespan, though.