Options

Joining the trailer crew. Question for 270 owners with trailers..

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Boating Discussions
EDIT: Found the answers here https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/3088/fv270-tri-axle-trailer-set-up-and-dimensions#latest if anyone else ever needs measurments

As some of you recommend my next move is a trailer. Picking up a used one for 2500... It only really needs to move the boat 4 tenths of a mile to the storage yard (150 per month with boat on or off of trailer).  

Would any one be willing to measure the distance the bunks are apart and the distance from the ground to the top of the bunk? Going to try and set it up tomorrow.

Comments on price?

It's a 10,400 lb weight trailer, loaded down my boat was 8800 lbs on a lift... So hoping that with it unloaded we are good to go. Any other thoughts? Here's a picture... Brakes are in rough shape, but again, it will not be moving it more than half a mile each time. 

Post edited by J3ff on

Comments

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice trailer. Aluminum? Triple axle or double? It should do the job with such a short distance. Price seems decent.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks exactly like my trailer..twin axle. So, oh my, yes the price is great. Looks like aluminum. So for 2500 you can expect to rebuild it possibly for another two! Tires are probably old... how does the resivoir look inside? I fought my brakes for so long....replaced the brake lines (200) new bearings and races , was not much...caliper rebuild kits...new resivoir as the one when I bought it was full of rust. So, mine was for free and have replaced everything except the frame and the axles.... new trailers are what 6 Grand?
  • Options
    yes, brand new is 5900 with brakes installed, 5000 without. 

• Options
    edited December 2019
    rasbury- any chance you can measure yours? Mainly interested in how far apart your bunks are and inches from ground level to the top of your bunks. The boat yard is charging me a 250 dollar "trailer setup fee" so I'd like to make sure they get it right!!
  • Options
    My boat is also at a storage yard..if I can get by there today and the rain lets up I will see if I can get you some numbers...
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Thank you -up at 5am here and I did a little searching and found exactly what was needed!! No worries, should have done that first!

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/3088/fv270-tri-axle-trailer-set-up-and-dimensions#latest

How does 150 a month for storage sound? 
  • Options
    I'm a little less...mine just got raised so I think I'm 110 but I'm not in the keys- I'm average for my area so I'd think your price would be great. I would worry all the time sitting in water. Plus, we can trailer to different places. I'm sure you have a lifetime of places to explore right where your at.
    Good luck with your repairs and keep us updated!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a word of advice, get the brakes on both axles. Some states require it if you plan on trailering across state lines. The other thing that I suggest is keel rollers on the crossmembers. My Venture trailer didn't have them and one time I was placing my boat on the trailer and gouged the keel.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Here are some more pictures... At least one of the tires is complete junk, if not all of them... Let me know if you see anything else
  • Options
    Tires, brakes, bunks & winch. Replace all those and you'll have a nice trailer. Oh, and repack or replace wheel bearings & replace seals. Looks like you'll want some new Bearing Buddies too. Verify surge actuator functions. Replace brake fluid. You might want to consider electric/hydraulic brake system.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Cool - yeah, it'll probably clean up . pretty nice. At the moment the plan is to use it 4 times a year for the 1/2 mile from the ramp to the lot and back.. I don't personally own anything to tow it with, so it's def a local only trailer for now. Hoping the shop's F150 will handle it.. again, no hills, just flat, 40 mph max and in less than a minute it's at the lot. Will slowly fix it up throughout the year.. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tow my 280EC with my F150 locally. The engine can pull her, but the rear leaf springs are a little too soft for long hauls.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that trailer will do fine for the short haul. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I think my trailer learning curve was way harder than the boat itself. Mine was a real hunk of junk as I mentioned.

First major concern is brakes. Don't matter how far your going, if you don't have sold brakes your really asking for trouble. The calipers look rusted and even after a short trip the rust would be cleaned off. I'd start up front. If the is no fluid and/or the resivoir is crudded up the hydraulic system should be rrplaced- which is not as bad as it sounds. New resivoir , back up lock out and brakes lines is 3 to 400 bucks . The calipers are pretty simple and a rebuild kit is also pretty cheap- brake pads also pretty cheap if you need them. Then you can stop. I also pull with an f150 but the truck is not going to stop the boat- don't matter if it's a 350. These trucks weigh 5 to 6 and your boat 9 or 10.  This is easy straight forward work to do but messey.

Tires are no fun to change on the road. Can't go by how they look. There is an age stamp on the tires- 5 years and they go. Replace with e rated tires. Then you will be all set to go where ever you want, or your 1/2 mile trip safely.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I towed a 7000 lbs sailboat with a 1967 fj40.  Was about 3 miles all back roads maybe 35 mph. No trailer brakes. 4 wheel drum brakes fresh out of the ramp made the first hundred yards interesting.

Your f150 might do just fine for your short haul.  

• Options
    I'm sure it can pull it, will it stop it. If you get in a wreck with faulty equipment and or hurt or kill someone, was it really worth not taking the time to make it safe? That's why I worry when ever I get around anyone with a trailer...wheels look like they are about to fall off etc.....I could never live with myself if it happened to me...just sayin.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I wasn't recommending him not repair the brakes, i just think the f150 is fine for his short distance, some newer f150 trucks boast the same towing capacity as my 3/4 ton excursion. 

I just never put brakes on my sailboat trailer as it got used twice a year, they would rust in place between uses if i was anywhere near salt water, im not near salt water but i feel i have enough stopping power with the 8000 lbs suv that i didn't want to deal with the hassle, drums dont like sitting even in fresh water.   Not long after i got the sailboat i traded my fj40 for the excursion. 

It took me a month or two after purchase but brake system rebuid was a must for my rinker.  I tow 1.5 hrs round trip mostly freeway each weekend.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Well the trailer did fine... Heading north for a week... Some how the carpet is wet again 🤬🤬🤬...We got 6 inches of rain yesterday and it was dry this morning before loading on the trailer. I think the first thing to do when back with this is to remove all the carpets!
  • Options
    Looks good! Good luck on your trip, hopefully no issues...where are you heading with it?
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks a whole lot like an alum Venture trailer. Even the Titan coupler. Wonder if Real X Trailers buys a bunch in bulk & rebrands them?
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Looks good! Good luck on your trip, hopefully no issues...where are you heading with it?
    Not heading anywhere with the boat, that spot is where it's going to be when I'm not in town... Heading to the north East for Christmas, flight is delayed two hours already... Big mistake going north for "vacation"🤣
  • Options
    Your going the wrong direction for sure lol...have a good trip.
  • Options
    No $hit! We're leaving North Central Iowa where winters can be unbearable on Dec 27th for SW Florida until April. I just can't put up with the snow & cold any longer.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    \ This is the last time for a long time I go north for the holiday
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No $hit! We're leaving North Central Iowa where winters can be unbearable on Dec 27th for SW Florida until April. I just can't put up with the snow & cold any longer.
    Dont forget us!