Options

Not my idea of a good time on the water.

RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
Maybe I've just gotten old but this does not seem like a good time. But, to each his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyUX9fmaZJ4

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is sucking some fuel
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sure it’s fun in the boat, but being in an airplane chasing the boat is a rush! (Hopefully the link works)

2008 330EC
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    We try to follow the poker run every year around here. 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Wasn’t me in the plane but I can say I successfully fixed the airplane before the flight. This was a practice run in Atlantic City before an airshow. I have plenty of videos of me in the airplane in close formation with 5 other planes. Best job I ever had but had to leave, wanted to start a family. The travel and danger of the job wouldn’t mix too well. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    This was one of my scariest flights (sorry no sound). We left out of Latrobe PA. to head back to Long Island. Heavy fog rolled in and only the #1 aircraft was IFR rated at the time. The 5 other aircraft had to follow closely. We all made it back safely but had us on our toes the whole flight. I did get to meet Arnold Palmer that trip, so I guess it was worth it!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0I9HRsv_SJJxi99OxmmaB4U6w
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those people in those go fast boats heading to lunch, must be really hungry.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    With the fuel cost, that was one expensive lunch.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I'm with you River, not my thrill of a good time.  Maybe cool for a couple minutes.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Maybe I've just gotten old but this does not seem like a good time. But, to each his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyUX9fmaZJ4
    I’m guessing at least $1000 in fuel there and back. Really is kinda lame. Amazing pieces of equipment........but.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve always proposed the need for three boats to my wife. Go fast, day boat & cruiser.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Count me in!  Unfortunately pilots don’t get payed in metric tons of money so I’ll never be able to do it, but I’d love to have one of those boats. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3LNILr7YPBE&t=147s

Not as fast but impressive in my opinion.  This is a Mercedes 300D engine.  The captain, jet skier and skier are all idiots but the acceleration of this diesel boat is still impressive. I'd estimate north of 250 horse power.
  • Options
    And in case people thought diesels were heavy, slow and dont like to rev

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iogSfjgfaSQ

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    That second diesel drag boat, looks like it's on the edge of disaster the whole time haha
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    The video I posted of Miss GEICO, she had turbines spinning the props.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Now you guys know why i want one in my rinker although i want one much less tuned.  There is one on YouTube that produced so much torque it ripped the prop shaft out of the boat.  Im going to guess it was pushing over 700ft lbs of torque.  When the guys really get on it these engines fly, a stock motor simply tuned makes a reliable 250 hp.
  • Options
    From a performance standpoint alone, diesels can be made to perform well with a lot of work, but they will never perform as well as a gas motor......
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The 606 doesn't need a lot of work.  250 hp is achieved by a simple reflash.  Keep in mind this is a 3.0 making sbc hp and bbc torque. At near double the mpg of the v8.  
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    Well I don’t consider 250 HP and performance in the same sentence. And there’s a lot more to getting something to accelerate, and go fast, than a peak horsepower number. I’m talking about real performance. Sure, there are fast diesels out there, and it’s a neat niche group if someone wants to do it just to do it, but it isn’t the best way to gain performance. 
  • Options
    You're thinking in gas terms if you dont find 250 hp impressive.  While rehashing a stock om606 you only add 40 hp, you add 70 ft lbs of torque.  You're putting out 7.3 and 12v 6bt stock hp numbers out of engines half its size and twice its efficiency.

This one here is 525 hp having fun on the track in a wagon that is probably @ 4000 lbs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7v6Pgn7_I
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don’t care about what’s impressive, and I don’t care about the displacement. And I never said it wasn’t impressive. Whether or not it’s impressive doesn’t pertain to what I said. 

My exact words were “From a performance standpoint alone, diesels can be made to perform well with a lot of work, but they will never perform as well as a gas motor......”

People make 4 cylinder imports impressive for what they are too, but that has nothing to do with what i said, nor does it make them the best option for performance. Like diesels, it’s a neat niche if that’s what you’re into, but it doesn’t disprove what I said. From a  performance standpoint alone, diesels can be made to perform well with a lot of work (again, I’m talking about performance.... not 250 hp), but they will never perform as good as a gas motor. I don’t care if a smaller diesel is putting out numbers like a 7.3. That has literally nothing to do with what I said. Have you seen what a 1.6L Honda engine is capable of? And you compared a forced induction motor to a NA SBC, and the replacement for displacement is forced induction. Let’s even that SBC up with a turbo..... and in the spirit of this thread and the video the OP posted, I’ve yet to see a diesel powered cat cruising at 100 MPH. 

one of my friends has one of the faster diesels on the planet. Neat truck and it’s no doubt fast, but he can’t keep up with the gas motors in the same class. 
    Post edited by 69fastback on
  • Options
    You guys talking about Diesels again, geeeezzzzzz
  • Options
    I built an LS/VTEC with forged internals, balanced.  B16 head.  S4C transmission.  Custom turbo kit. Tuned on crome tune.  300 whp.  Stuck it in a 2600 lbs del sol.  Im very aware of what it could do.  Was fast enough on a 2nd and 3rd gear VTEC pull to scare the tuner, the legendary Joseph Davis, on a street tune.  

Car was my baby until i had a kid, traded it for a gutted JDM swapped B18C5 Type R 1995 civic hatch DX with LSD. 

You're not really going to find fast usdm diesel, the engines are 1000lbs plus, you need to look for the German coal rolling tuner cars.  You'll find your match.  These days my play money is tied up in things that float or id gladly build a vehicle to show you what a fast oil burner looks like.  

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Well I’ve got a car sitting here that I built that’s been 4.18@184, so whenever you’re ready it’ll be here. I’m not really worried about any diesel finding my match.......  because if you want real performance, you don’t build a diesel. 

If you’d like something else, my little street car only runs 9.60s.  

And to clarify, the fast car was 1/8 mile, and the slow car was 1/4 mile. I’ll play either one of those games. I don’t know exactly how much power either one makes, because dynos don’t race and a peak horsepower number isn’t real indicative of how something accelerates (performs). I like numbers that prove performance. 

And like I said, for the relevance of thread being things that float, I’ve still never seen a 50 footer cruising around at 100 with a diesel, much less 180. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oh...drag racing? That's kind of like the special ed of racing....i meant road racing.    Where i live the big thing is heading down to road Atlanta but for kicks the Blue Ridge Parkway is about 45 min from my shop, that road its self sucks for spirited driving but the twisties there and back are what puts real drivers(and suspensions) to the test.  I've never had any desire to build a drag car, im too much of a car driving enthusiast to stop at a 1/4 of a mile, much less an 8th, that's like buying a lobster and only eating the claws, you've not even reached the best part.

Now an offshore racing boats with a couple hx60 powred om606 motors, id like to see that.  The little go fast boat in the one video had way too much power for that little thing.

Sadly these builds are mostly all in Europe.  

Check out Hustler Dream 39

50 gph being used at 86 mph/3370 rpm

Twin cummins racing boat.  Not too shabby on the speed nor fuel consumption.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So because you don’t like it, it’s “special ed?” Interesting, as that’s typically not the view point of a true enthusiast. I get that people enjoy different things, but until you’ve done 0-184 in 4 seconds, I wouldn’t make many assumptions about it. I save my twisties for being in the trees, handle bar width, in gnarly terrain, on two wheels. 

I clearly stated performance, acceleration, and speed many times. That doesn’t have a lot to do with which direction you’re pointed. It seemed pretty straight forward to me, and again, in the spirit of boats, well I think we get the point there. Diesels are cool, and you should check out my buddies, Tony Rizzi’s, truck. Plenty of videos online. The fact is, diesels don’t lead the pack in any type of racing, and that says a lot. I like my diesels to pull my toys where I’m going, like it was intended, but I can still appreciate people who push them to do things that they weren’t intended to do. My brothers duramax is pretty healthy in its own right. 

The boats you mentioned are cool, but prove what I’m saying. Not even in the same universe in performance as gas motors. Fuel consumption isn’t performance, and I was very clear that I’m talking solely about the performance aspect. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are way off, @PickleRick how did you get that nick name? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Pickle Rick is a mad scientist who turned himself into a pickle.  

The engineers of the new Camaro and vetts share my enthusiasm as they are finally built for a twisty track and not a 1/4 mile, the vette is no longer a car the Europeans say "well, its the best the Americans can do"

I appreciate fast cars.  I appreciate fast drivers. 

You like drag racing but claim that diesels don't own the pack in any racing.  The  tractor pulls are right up your alley, dominated by the coal.  It's drag racing....in a souped up tractor. 

Do any of you guys remember the little sneak boats, like pre jet skis? Has a little one or 2 seater with a 9.9 up to about a 15 hp on it? A couple on the lake near me has one and ill see them out with her grandkids on it scooting along at an impressive speed for a 9 ft boat.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    You may want to take another look into that. While there are diesels that do well at the tractor pulls, the blown hemi is still the king. The unlimited class is pretty well dominated by hemis and turbines, not diesels. I’m actually not even sure there are any diesels left in the unlimited class at all. There may be, but not many. 

And tractor pulls isn’t drag racing. They’re looking for a distance, rather than racing. Regardless, it’s still not dominated by diesels.