Options

Not my idea of a good time on the water.

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you're right the 2000 to 3000 hp diesels are not impressive, those same combinations that do 8 and even 7 second 1/4 mile track times wouldn't be competitive at all on any racing bracket anywhere in the world. There has never been any racing circuits where guys switched to a tdi engine over the honda k series due to reliability issues.  The Audi r10 that entered the lemans in 2006 didnt just win the race each year until its redesign in 2009, it dominated each race, but it doesn't count i guess i dont blame you, 12 and 24 hour races are no way to determine a cars perfomance vs other cars. Your gasser engine is just better engineered.  I admit it. Never has a diesel ever dominated any race or racing series at any level ever.  

Seems you're still stuck with old technology in 1992 where 1000 hp from a big diesel was breaking news.

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    In addition to big diesel engines, how about a pair of Lycoming gas turbines. Enough to propel a 140 foot super yacht to 70 plus MPH.
    https://www.superyachts.com/fleet/world-is-not-enough-photos-4077
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Yeah you're right the 2000 to 3000 hp diesels are not impressive, those same combinations that do 8 and even 7 second 1/4 mile track times wouldn't be competitive at all on any racing bracket anywhere in the world. 

How can I be right about something I never said?  Why do you insist on making stuff up, and pretending I said it, and then arguing about it?  It’s like you’re arguing with yourself, because it’s obvious you’re not debating me, as I never said any of that. Go ahead and quote where I did if you feel that way. 

And what does performance have to do with bracket racing?  Bracket racing is about consistency, and not performance. I bracket raced for years in a 17 second car. 

The Audi r10 that entered the lemans in 2006 didnt just win the race each year until its redesign in 2009, it dominated each race, but it doesn't count i guess i dont blame you, 12 and 24 hour races are no way to determine a cars perfomance vs other cars. 

I also never said that either. You can’t continue to make up things that I didn’t say and argue with them. I was unaware of that car, which is why you should make an informative post, rather than a condescending, petty comment that’s just untrue. I could have been that way with you about the tractor pulls, since you were so far from the truth, but didn’t know it, yet I wasn’t. I do find it funny though that you bring up one single car from 10+ years ago after your comment about me being stuck in the past. Props to Audi for having the only dominant diesel, in one category of racing in recent times. That definitely shows diesels dominance vs all the no diesel winning engines from every other type of racing. 

Your gasser engine is just better engineered.  I admit it. Never has a diesel ever dominated any race or racing series at any level ever.  

Umm okay????? So far we have a few years, in one class out how many thousands of different classes of racing?  We will call that a moral victory. 

Seems you're still stuck with old technology in 1992 where 1000 hp from a big diesel was breaking news.

How is that?  And I want to base this answer on factual things I said, rather than things you make up for me. You don’t get to put words in my mouth and act like I said something I didn’t. I’m guessing you didn’t check out Tony’s truck. Yeah.....I have no clue. Don’t make assumptions and petty comments about thing's you don’t know. I don’t understand why you can’t just keep it on the basic statement I had. Well, I guess I should say I don’t understand why you keep demanding that I’m wrong about saying....

from a performance aspect alone, diesels aren’t the best choice. 

And diesels don’t dominate any racing series. 

That’s literally all I said, and okay, now we have one diesel that won races in one series over 10 years ago. You were grasping for something with the tractor pull comment, and I’m sorry you didn’t research it first, but Diesel engines aren’t the king there. You’re acting like I’m insulting your kid because I’m saying this, and coming up with crap out of left field. I don’t get it. Right now there isn’t a diesel in the top of any class in the world, that I’m aware of, unless it’s a class where rules only allow them. That’s not really debatable unless there are facts to prove otherwise. Anything you keeping harping on about, other than me saying diesels aren’t the best option for max performance, and there are no top diesels in any racing categories, is just more irrelevant, made up stuff. I don’t get why it’s such a big deal that gas motors outrun diesels????? That’s what they were meant to do. 
    Post edited by 69fastback on
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once got a ride in an 18 foot with an Allison turbine... Awesome! The guy would come around to the airport looking for waste jet fuel.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am loving this thread!!!! Keep it going guys!!
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I once got a ride in an 18 foot with an Allison turbine... Awesome! The guy would come around to the airport looking for waste jet fuel.
    I rode in a turbine boat probably 15 years ago. 3 weeks later it, and a big cat were coming out of a marina in a poker run and something broke on the cat, and it ran over the turbine boat killing everyone. Bad deal. It was Flash Gordon and Nashville Cats on lake Texoma. 
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    This thread makes the diesel smack talk with @Handymans342 seem elementary. 
    I know thats why I am enjoying it. 
  • Options

Again, the tdi diesel Audi dominated the lemans from its conception until it was redesigned...so from 06 to 09.  The engine was even detuned for the lemans for reliabilty, they nerfed her by about 100 hp.  

She didn't just win each race, she dominated.

Not sure what you consider dominating a racing series but the lemans is the biggest test of speed, durability, handling and driving skills any vehicle could be put through. If you don't believe me ask a few well known ford guys. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Again, the tdi diesel Audi dominated the lemans from its conception until it was redesigned...so from 06 to 09.  The engine was even detuned for the lemans for reliabilty, they nerfed her by about 100 hp.  

She didn't just win each race, she dominated.

Not sure what you consider dominating a racing series but the lemans is the biggest test of speed, durability, handling and driving skills any vehicle could be put through. If you don't believe me ask a few well known ford guys. 
    Like I said, good win there. You got ONE. Good work for the diesel. 

Diesels are not the best choice for a performance build. 

Diesels dominated one series of racing for 3 years in all the history of racing. If you consider that a win, congratulations. 

I remember 10 years ago too......

any 180MPH diesel boats????
  • Options
    The only reason there is no 180 mph diesel boats is because they can't spin as fast as a gasser but I'm not sure why
  • Options
    The only reason there is no 180 mph diesel boats is because they can't spin as fast as a gasser but I'm not sure why
    There are many reasons why, but the fact remains that they are great at what they do, but they aren’t as good in reference to performance only. PERFORMANCE ONLY. That is in no way claiming that they can’t be a good performer, in any way shape or form, just not as good. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Horse power sells cars, torque wins races, diesels own gassers in torque

NEWSMarch 2018

New diesel-powered speedboat record of 277.5km/h

Fabio Buzzi uses 1700hp agricultural engine to reach new fastest diesel powerboat record

Powerboat racing world-champion Fabio Buzzi has set the fastest speed on water using a diesel engine — 277.5km/h, some 25.5km/h more than the previous record, and using an unconventional engine at that.

The aptly named Buzzi employed a hull engineered by FB Design, the company for which he is CEO, with custom engine developed by FPT Industrial.

Working together on the new engine, FPT Industrial and FB Design converted a Cursor 16L, generally used in agriculture applications, into a marine engine capable of generating more than 1700hp.

The record, certified by Guinness World Records this week, was set on Wednesday March 7, 2018. on Lake Como, Italy.

• Options
    edited January 2020

NEWSMarch 2018

Fabio Buzzi uses 1700hp agricultural engine to reach new fastest diesel powerboat record

Powerboat racing world-champion Fabio Buzzi has set the fastest speed on water using a diesel engine — 277.5km/h, some 25.5km/h more than the previous record, and using an unconventional engine at that.

The aptly named Buzzi employed a hull engineered by FB Design, the company for which he is CEO, with custom engine developed by FPT Industrial.

Working together on the new engine, FPT Industrial and FB Design converted a Cursor 16L, generally used in agriculture applications, into a marine engine capable of generating more than 1700hp.

The record, certified by Guinness World Records this week, was set on Wednesday March 7, 2018. on Lake Como, Italy.

That's approx 172 mph ....so how do you like your crow cooked?

There are not too many types of racing out there that you cant find a diesel that is either faster or a competitive equal against a gasser. Diesels are just not as popular in the US compared to the rest of the world.  

If you're ever feeling too high and mighty in your inefficient spark driven vehicles call up Malone tuning in Canada, tell them whatever vehicle you think you have or your buddy or some guy you once knew had and see if they can one up you with a vehicle they have tuned.  They do some 2.0 common rail tunes that will probably destroy your "slow" drag car...they are pushing 4 ton sleds.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Horse power sells cars, torque wins races, diesels own gassers in torque
    That’s the oldest crap myth ever spoken, and spoken buy a guy selling cars. Average column horsepower wins races. 

I mean really. You’re own statement contradicts itself.  If torque wins races, and diesels own in torque, then why are the fastest vehicles on the planet not diesels??? Why??? Why is that????  Why are they not even in the ballpark! Like not even close????
  • Options
    edited January 2020

NEWSMarch 2018

That's approx 172 mph ....so how do you like your crow cooked?

Oh wow, you found one that doesn’t do 180, and is still not anywhere on par with gas engines, ESPECIALLY in that style of boat. And it’s in the guiness book of world records?? Haha....again proving it isn’t as fast as a gas boat. And considering I said at 50 footer, you still continue to prove exactly what I’m saying. They don’t perform as well as a gas engine, in a performance application. I don’t know why this is so hard. Are you really saying that a Diesel engine will perform as well as a gas engine, even with you posting examples proving that they don’t? because my original statement that you continue to argue with is....

Diesel engines aren’t the best option from a purely performance standpoint, no???? Have you proven that wrong????  Nope, and you’re not going to, because I will always show you something faster with a gas engine. Want to see?  There no crow, and there won’t be.  Keep grasping for straws, but it’s not going to happen. 
  • Options
    Much larger boat, much more gas engine. Diesels won’t do this. It’s not even debatable. Why????? Because diesels aren’t the best option from a performance aspect. 
  • Options
    Weird. No diesels here. Why not even in a pulling contest?????  Because diesels aren’t the best option for performance applications. 

• Options
    Fastest diesel in the plant, mounted in a full blown pipe rack car is barely, and I mean just barely faster than my door slammer with a small block, that runs on a 275 radial tire. LOL

https://youtu.be/ygbVUEn_mHc
  • Options
    No diesels here, and it’s because they aren’t the best option for performance. 

• Options
    edited January 2020

I can google a diesel vehicle or vessel built that is better if not equal to just about any vehicles or vessels you post.  

In less than 30 seconds i found you a 172mph boat when you stated a 180 mph diesel boat didnt exist.  

Im not going to do the research for you.   Just because they are not more popular doesn't take away from the achievements the few have made.

The wide variety of fuels that can be burned as well as the efficiency alone make the diesel engine superior to a gasser.

Don't get salty over eating crow...its ok....just google before saying something doesn't exist.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I can google a diesel vehicle or vessel built that is better if not equal to just about any vehicles or vessels you post.  

In less than 30 seconds i found you a 172mph boat when you stated a 180 mph diesel boat didnt exist.  

Im not going to do the research for you.   Just because they are not more popular doesn't take away from the achievements the few have made.

The wide variety of fuels that can be burned as well as the efficiency alone make the diesel engine superior to a gasser.

Don't get salty over eating crow...its ok....just google before saying something doesn't exist.
    No you can’t, but great cop out on it with the whole “do your own research” bit. This thread already has the fastest diesel boat, and the fastest diesel on the track posted on it, and they’re not even in the same category as the fastest gas motors in the exact same kind of vehicles. Not even close. So how are you going to back up being able to find diesels equal????I’ll be waiting to see that diesel that does 330 MPH in 3 seconds. Lol

or that boat that owns the water speed record, because it’s a diesel, right?  Oh wait....EDIT: excluding turbines

or the diesel that owns the land speed record, excluding turbines?  Oh......nope 

or the diesel that’s the world record tractor puller, excluding turbines, right?  Nope

Or any diesel on the planet that makes 10,000 hp, right????

This could go on forever, and it’s so funny that you dig in about it, and then give me the cop out, because you know that diesels aren’t the best option for performance. 

And I said the 180 MPH diesel boat doesn’t exist (and actually I never said it didn’t exist, ), but you proved that right with your guiness world record diesel boat. THANKS!

You said it yourself when you said they aren’t as common. Do you know why they aren’t as common??? Do I really need to say it again???

The fact you’re even on this “eating crow” kick is hilarious considering every example you’ve posted has proven me exactly right, except maybe the lemans car, which it’s funny if you claim winning 3 years out of almost 100 is “dominating.” But hey, if that helps you sleep, you can have it. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the end?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Old saying: Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you go through the wall.....

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    You're a very salty individual and you're mind is already made up, to point out facts to you is useless as you'll make another invalid argument.  I know of a diesel powered car that reaches speeds over 300mph but you'd find some excuse to it being invalid just as you did the Audi at the lemans(toughest race in the world that's done on a paved surface) and a boat that hits your 180mph requirement to be "fast".

Do you're own research and stop arguing about it.  The only down fall to a diesel is the EPA, period.  

The usa masses have never bought into them, big oil companies hate them, they were designed for farmers to have machines that ran on home made fuel so big oil hated them from the start. 

The diesel water speed record holder used a motor out of farm equipment.....just ponder how impressive that was.  

So you keep you gas guzzling cars and sleep well at night.  I'll keep my fuel efficient slow cars ( ill call them stupid fast tractors) and ill sleep equally as well.  

• Options

Or any diesel on the planet that makes 10,000 hp, right????

Built in Finland, the diesel RT-flex96C’s fourteen cylinders can generate 107,389HP with more than 7,000,000Nm of torque — that’s enough to power an entire suburban town.

This is just fun...so you want that crow fried? Baked? 

• Options
    Oh dear. What have I started?
  • Options
    Im sorry @RiverRat232

We kinda strayed. Im done.  This is worse than hockey at Christmas!

Personally I think anyting over 45 mph on the water is too fast and a gingerly 20 to 25 mph is perfect.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    No need to apologize. And I agree with you. My boat is capable of 50+ MPH but I doubt that I will ever take her there. Much more pleasurable at 25-30 MPH. Makes me think of this video. Pay attention to the people on the boat. No one looks like they are having a good time. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvEE3_mBzi8
    Post edited by RiverRat232 on
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Overnight shipping @RiverRat232? LoL!!
    I don’t know what video you meant to send, but this one comes to mind by your description. Is this the correct one?

https://youtu.be/ZvEE3_mBzi8

2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    You're a very salty individual and you're mind is already made up, to point out facts to you is useless as you'll make another invalid argument.  I know of a diesel powered car that reaches speeds over 300mph but you'd find some excuse to it being invalid just as you did the Audi at the lemans(toughest race in the world that's done on a paved surface) and a boat that hits your 180mph requirement to be "fast".

Do you're own research and stop arguing about it.  The only down fall to a diesel is the EPA, period.  

The usa masses have never bought into them, big oil companies hate them, they were designed for farmers to have machines that ran on home made fuel so big oil hated them from the start. 

The diesel water speed record holder used a motor out of farm equipment.....just ponder how impressive that was.  

So you keep you gas guzzling cars and sleep well at night.  I'll keep my fuel efficient slow cars ( ill call them stupid fast tractors) and ill sleep equally as well.  

There’s a lot of hypocrisy in your statement there. 

And I didn’t say over 300. I said over 300 in 3 seconds. If we are just talking all out top speed, the numbers get larger. See how a diesel isn’t the best option solely based on performance? 

And you think those diesels that perform like we are talking are fuel efficient?  LOL 

And I didn’t make up anything about the car you posted. Lemans has been racing for almost 100 years and a diesel has won it 3. Did I make that up?  

More cop outs