Options

Chicago/IL Boating?

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Chigago guys, do you know the real story about Chicago or IL boating? You can see that state and city owned harbors are closed, but I am struggling to find anything online saying that private marina's can not launch a boat. The marina where my boat is seems to think that they will lose their business license if they were to launch me just for the day for a sea trial and then haul it back out to go on a truck to come to Cleveland. I just read that the city of Chicago will open bridges starting tomorrow 4/18 for sailboats that want to pass (they are just not doing the annual bridge opening events). Any local scuttlebutt out there? 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Since you have 10% in an escrow account you could always have them agree to shipping the boat and you can do the sea trial here. They could send one of their representatives to Marblehead to go out with you. That would save you the trip there and put the responsibility in their court. It would also allow you to have your mechanic on the boat for the trial. Doesn't seem like there are really any deal breakers with this boat but I am sure you just want to get on it and see what you bought.  I did this when I bought my boat in the Chicago area in 2015 and took possession of it on April 1. We did the sea trial here around April 20th. The dealer was fine with that.
    Doesn't really answer your question but gives you an option.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    @Liberty44140 - My understanding - and it's directly from the yacht yard I store at - is that marinas/yacht yards have not been deemed essential businesses within Illinois. Our yacht yard is in total shutdown mode, not even employees on site. The owner of our yard (which stores hundreds of boats) does not want his business license pulled so he's playing by the book.

As for the bridge lift, there are only two yards that would be putting boats in that would need lifts and both are closed, so I can't see why they would be doing the lift -- and the harbors are closed so they'd have no where to go even if they did get on the lake.
  • Options
    I thought about that Earl. Issue is that the yard wont put my boat in the water or on a trailer so its a moot point. If they would put it on a trailer, I would definitely propose that option. The broker does have a rep here in Huron. 
    Yea Tony that is what the yard told me again today. Said that one yard started launching and police cruisers showed up. Odd on the bridge lift, who knows if what the article said is not exactly reality. I'll have to dig that back up.
    Thanks!

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you wanting to boat in the snow?
  • Options
    Hey Floridian.... in these parts snow today (currently 1 inch) is 65 degrees tomorrow! So.... yes! 😂😂

• Options
    Well..we will have rain...and them 90....brrrrr
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    It has never failed to rain when I go to FL no matter what time of year. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lk Mich is 41F. Chilly boating. No marinas thus no fuel docks open in Michigan. My issue is I cannot even get access to my boat as it is inside stored. At least prob 200 other people with the same issue in the building. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond - Same situation for me.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I love it raining when out boating.....put the a/c on, watch tv....all the crazies head back to the ramp and when it stops, the whole river is mine....and if it's just a drizzle, motor on enjoying that it cooled off for a bit!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Lk Mich is 41F. Chilly boating. No marinas thus no fuel docks open in Michigan. My issue is I cannot even get access to my boat as it is inside stored. At least prob 200 other people with the same issue in the building. lol

Same issue here. I have paid for a summer storage spot (dry dock with launch onsite), so I could be working on the boat in my driveway and trailer it to my "marina" afterwards. Nope, stuck inside winter storage place. Seems pretty dumb that one guy cant move boats outside and let the owner trailer them away.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Lake county sheriff stopped by my marina on the chain (also a mechanic) and saw them working on boats and gave them a warning as they're not an essential business.  But, DNR has waterways open. It sounds like if you can get into a private dock / marina, you can boat.
  • Options
    @rinker270nb - The chain is open for fishing only I heard.  Some kind of agricultural loophole saying people feed their family's by fishing.  Imagine eating a fish from those lakes?  No thanks.

Waukegan launch is open for the same reason...lots of fishing boats out of Waukegan.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @Liberty44140 - Governor was just on TV with an update. Details are still sparse/pending, but what they did mention when talking about boating is it looks like they are going to allow general recreational boating with a two (2) person per vessel limit. Now the gray areas:

1) Chicago lakefront is still officially closed, so travel to and from harbors will get logistically tricky. Will need to see how this meshes with the state order.

2) No mention of if/how/when marinas/yacht yards would be allowed to work on boats and get them in the water.

I'll keep you posted as I get info.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Tony. I found this online. It says boating and state parks will open and with so much of the Chicago harbors state ran I’m hoping they can re open:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/these-places-businesses-can-reopen-under-illinois-modified-stay-at-home-order/2260626/

• Options
    I say we put on our pirate patches and secure our vessels!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @Liberty44140 - Unfortunately the Chicago harbors are not state run...they are under the jurisdiction of Chicago and currently the mayor has everything shut down.  The problem is if you open the harbors then you have to open the lakefront and people will flood to the lakefront bike paths, running paths ECT... right away.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    I say we put on our pirate patches and secure our vessels!
    I'd have to go full Ocean's 11 mode to get mine. Fences, barbed wire, cameras, and motion sensors. Not to mention there are about 40 boats blocking my way out of the building - and **** if I know how to operate a crane.  :p
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    skennelly said:
    @Liberty44140 - Unfortunately the Chicago harbors are not state run...they are under the jurisdiction of Chicago and currently the mayor has everything shut down.  The problem is if you open the harbors then you have to open the lakefront and people will flood to the lakefront bike paths, running paths ECT... right away.
    Gotcha, well I guess we will see. Yesterday the Chicago harbors posted a letter that they plan to open May 1 pending the city’s decision whether or not to extend and they are pushing the city for a decision. I’d assume they will post another update soon. Since I am at a private marina i am hoping that could help my situation. 

• Options
    Yes they have been saying May 1st for a month now.  I think it's a pipe dream honestly.  May 1st is the official harbor opening every year so I think they are just keeping with that same terminology.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Hoping to talk to the marina where I am this morning. In reading through things I will be surprised if they are not allowed to launch me for sea trial and put me on a truck since "boating" is back open. Last week they told me that the Chicago harbors take 2 weeks to re-start so even if Chicago harbors are open May 1, boats wont be allowed in for at least two weeks while they get power, water, clean up, etc... going as nothing has been done. Will be interesting.... 

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I disagree with the 2 week delay.  Normally you are allowed to bring your boat in April 15th but the harbor doesn't guarantee power, water ECT until May 1st.  If it opens May 1st I'm sure they will allow boats immediately.  If people have to wait another 2 weeks after boating is opened up their will be heII to pay.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    my sister says the stay @ home extended through may ? 
  • Options
    Illinois is now May 30. They are calculating that we will hit peak by end of April, early May. Then you have the two week down slope before a stepped reopening.

@skennelly is correct. They have not stopped working to prep the harbors for a May 1 opening. Plumbers, electricians, etc. are considered essential in Illinois, so they have been working on the docks. If anything they have been doing more maintenance work due to the mild winter and no one around to bother them. 
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I was in Diversey Harbor on 4/24 last year, there were 30+ other boats.  It snowed 4" on 4/28(?)  The harbor was busy getting caught up but we knew everything was still being prepped, eg bath house, new key codes, etc.  They don't need everything operating to let boats take their slips.  But, you put boats in the harbor, suddenly there's 30 people at a G dock party til 2 AM.  I think that's what is holding them up.
  • Options
    Not much new info today. Talked to the marinas and they would like to reopen but the latest order is not at all clear so they are trying to get more clarity on if they can launch people that can go in to their docks. Chicago’s mayor spoke late today and she provided absolutely nothing. Maybe more Monday...

• Options
    edited April 2020
    @TonyG13 you seem to lack the pirate spirit! Necessity is the mother of all invention! 
  • Options

You're right. I'm on a mission from God!
  • Options
    @Liberty44140 - In case you missed the governor's press conference, he was specifically asked about Lake Michigan boating from Chicago harbors and he said that would be up to the mayor. As for the rest of Illinois, if they can get on the water, it will be two person maximum per boat.
  • Options
    Thanks Tony, was that today?