Options

Chicago/IL Boating?

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Disregard I just watched it from earlier today. As you said it sounds like it’s all up to the mayor of Chicago. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dumb thing we have going on in FL is you can go to the beach but you can't sit. So, everyone is walking up and down the beach breathing in each other but if they were just sitting somewhere there "bad" air would be just around them! Makes no sense!
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's also what they're doing in California. You have to keep moving.
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Disregard I just watched it from earlier today. As you said it sounds like it’s all up to the mayor of Chicago. 
    The Mayor just stated at her news conference update:
    She does not anticipate opening up the lakefront to boating anytime soon
  • Options
    @bry1429 - Are you in the Chicago harbor system? I ask, because it looks like they are given us two choices:

1. A full refund for 2019, but then you lose your current slip and need to reapply for a new slip with no promises of getting your old one again.

2. Issuing a pro-rata credit for each day the harbors are closed beyond May 15, but as a credit towards 2021 fees.

I'll probably go with #2, but I will call and complain that it should be pro-rated from the traditional official start of the season, May 1.
  • Options
    @TonyG13
    I have yet to decide where I am Mooring her this summer. I have slipped my boats in Hammond Marina just over the Chicago boarder in Indiana even though I live 1/2 mile from Solider Field (Burnham Harbor).
    It will all depend on when Chicago Yacht Works is allowed to open to its customers, I need to get to my 360 asap for spring commissioning. I would like To slip at  Dusable Harbor for a few months if it ever opens.
    I am still looking forward to a good honest forum member like yourself to make me an offer to purchase my baby, I am flexible 💰👍😁
  • Options
    I am still trying to figure out what this means for my situation. I mean that with all due respect, I certainly feel for you guys with docks on the Chicago lakefront. At least you have an answer. Currently I am 10 miles up the Calumet river, not on the lakefront, and I am in Riverdale, not Chicago proper. The marina told me they will not launch boats with docks on the Chicago lakefront since they will have nowhere to go, but they are struggling to confirm that they can launch folks like me who are not going to Chicago. They have plenty of customers who will go to places like Michigan City, IN who have docks that they can go to. 

• Options
    edited April 2020
    @bry1429 - When this mess is all over we'll have to do a forum meet up like @randy342 & @Willhound. We're in the South Loop also and on H dock in Burnham. Maybe you could sell the Admiral on the 360!  ;) Looks like on the Chi harbors website if the 360 LOA can fit on a 35' dock (I think they allow 2' past dock end), you might get something at DuSable, otherwise you'd probably need to be at 31st Street on a 40' dock.

@Liberty44140 - I feel for you. It's got to suck waiting all this time. I would think the marina could care less about where a boat is going once it leaves their place. But you're just looking for the sea trial and then loading it up and shipping it overland to your place. I would think with the "two-person" per boat relaxation order beginning Friday, you should at least be able to get that done.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @Liberty44140
    What boat yard are you at ?

@TonyG13
    Sounds good, I'm in university village, where you at ?
  • Options
    I am at Rentners Marine, great guys, all family. Didn’t connect with them today but I talked to a marina less than a mile down the river from them where my Volvo mechanic is based. They are launching Indiana boats starting May 1. They won’t launch Chicago lakefront boats since they have no home yet, but they have a lot of Hammond Indiana customers and they have docks so they will be launched next week. Hoping this means I can go in too, we will see. Unfortunately the Volvo tech won’t be available for two weeks so I am now trying to find another tech for the sea trial I hope to do :) 

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    My boat yard is scheduling appts for people to work on their boats.  I'm 8am Friday morning and plan to launch Saturday.  I'm not slipped in Chicago harbors.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Plan B might be getting a slip in IN.  If Chicago harbors don't open, it's an easy traffic free ride and your on the water.
  • Options
    bry1429 said:

@TonyG13
    Sounds good, I'm in university village, where you at ?
    18th & Indiana. We have some friends in University Village at 14th & Emerald.
  • Options
    sea trial is scheduled for Thursday May 7 in Chicago, then truck to Ohio on May 18. I am bringing my local Volvo diesel tech with me for the day. He gave me a pretty fair rate for an entire day and it will give me great peace of mind to have my local guy who I’ll be using ongoing there for the sea trial. Plus he will help me remove the radar and gps antenna. Fingers crossed we don’t hit any snags and this happens next week! 

• Options
    Yeah!! Good luck with the trial.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks guys 

• Options
    @Liberty44140 - If you're into good fried shrimp and/or smoked fish -- and the Blues Brothers, you'll be pretty close to the bridge they jumped at the beginning of the movie (95th Street) -- and there's a great shrimp shack called Calumet Fisheries right next to the bridge. Treat your mechanic to lunch!  :)
  • Options
    Lol I was thinking I’ll have to take him to lunch so that’s great advice, thanks!!! 

• Options
    Wikipedia has a good write up of the place...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calumet_Fisheries

99.9% of the time I get fried shrimp, but their smoked fish is usually more local and that's what they're famous for. Been going for 40+ years without issue, but just as anywhere, be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Solid advice @TonyG13
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Will have to try that! Thanks

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Where will you be docking in Marblehead? I will keep an eye out for the arrival.
  • Options
    We dock at Bay Point.... E dock. Boat will be delivered there 

• Options
    Bay point is nice. Spent many years at the sandbar back when the place was more trailers than anything else.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Yea it’s changed a lot. I grew up sailing out of Rocky River but my wife has been boating out of bay point since the 80s. Over the last 15 years it is amazing what they have done with the homes and entertainment. I like it better now, she misses the old days of simplicity :)

where do you dock?

• Options
    We are at Foxhaven on Catawba. Been there for 12 years. Its simple, clean and  no BS.
    We had docked at Historic Harbor in Marblehead way back when. Made a short trip to the sandbar.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michigan opened up for motorized boating this week. The weather has been pretty poor for being outside let alone boating the last month. So other than behind on projects, zero loss on being in the water. I would not normally launch until 3rd week of May regardless. 

South Haven, MI has their public marina closed for the season. High water compromised the electric system. Going to be lots of deck and stair parts floating around this spring. 

Some pics from today in Holland, MI. Full lake!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now the lake is full. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Bad news: Chicago harbors officially staying closed.
    Semi-good news: Getting a per diem credit for days harbor is not open.
    Good news: Yacht yard is opening by appointment with assigned time slots to work on boat.

At least I'll get to be on the boat for a few hours each week until the harbor opens.