Options

What to do with a boat that won't sell

rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
I am seeing a lot of inventory on used boats that just don't sell. Lowering the price doesn't seem to help them. The economy isn't here to help.  Do they become donations then stripped and shredded?

Comments

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually felt sorry for the boat. It seemed near the end it was saying, "Help me!"
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to typically pay to shred a fiberglass boat. It is useless / not recyclable. Hence why you see them in yards. Abandonded. Etc. 

Few people want a project. So a problem boat is a big challenge to sell. Type of boat matters too. Go-fasts at least by me are a big loser. Super small set of people who want / can afford them. Can’t speak for now, but last fall finding a used boat in good condition was about impossible.  Probably some deals to be had I bet now. 

Let’s hope things get back to some normal soon!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I do know one guy that bought a boat that didn't work well ... it was a big 45 ft boat, and he never took it out.  He didn't buy it to go boating. He bought it because it was a floating house, and it was way cheaper to live on that boat than having a house on land having to pay taxes all the time.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've wondered the same. My in laws have a 1974 Flybridge and they love it, but they have shown it limited love. We call it their floating condo but its really more of their dorm room. It shockingly runs awesome so I take it to the pump out monthly for them, but other than the air conditioning and fridge not much works. It has plenty of wood rot, broken stanchions, etc. I know one day we will have to get rid of it and I just hope that we will be able to get someone to take it.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Had a couple that were in their early 90’s with a mid-60’s all wood Chris Craft cabin type cruiser. Lived on it all summer. Somehow it ran too...pumpout and haulout trips only. Finally had so much hull rot the marina refused to lauch it. lol. Even all wood they basically chainsawed it apart to dispose of it in a 40yd dumpster. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    There's always a break-even point, until which you can still give it away for free.  I read that boat disposal typically costs 2-3 kilobucks.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a dock neighbour a few years back. Same thing. Old Chris Craft fly bridge. Both in their 80's and it had the step over entry. I used to have to help them in and out. One day when I wasn't around the old guy tried to help her in. She was a little stout and when she fell she landed on him and broke 3 of his ribs. The kids showed up a few weeks later and hauled it I don't know where. Was a beautiful boat at one time and the old guy used to tell me how he did the loop on it years ago and spend winters south and had the faded old Florida permits on it to prove it. It was junk when hauled away though, he just couldn't keep up anymore and the kids and grandkids had no interest.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    RV’s have the same problem lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought my boat 3 years ago almost to the day and the broker still has a couple boats that were there when I was.  There is also a Rinker 280 that I think belongs to a member on here that has been for sale for 3 years north of me. 

There is also an all wood boat behind mine that was an old fishing boat and they added in a bunch of living space. Total piece of scrap wood I can't imagine anyone will buy it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find me one of these junk boats on a trailer...28 to 30 ft range.  I keep keep coming across 2859s i like but i have no trailer.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, they do bud...
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Yep, they do bud...
    Had mine for 1.5 years and not one issue but now that we live in it full time we are adding a lot of up grades 
  • Options
    Anything worth taking off it?  Engine, lower unit, trailer, etc.?  Then pay somebody to take it away?
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Nope
    Option for RV's after their useful life has ended, take notice of the random boat in the mix, maybe a Rinker ?

Watch "RV demolition Derby" on YouTube
  • Options
    Handy, you were smart.  You got out just in time.  Another few months and you couldn't have given her away.  Most people don't have timing like that!   ;)
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Handy, you were smart.  You got out just in time.  Another few months and you couldn't have given her away.  Most people don't have timing like that!   ;)
    Thank you. Just need to sell house now
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My dad had a 1968 42 foot pacemaker wood boat he kept it in great shape when he passed my evil stepmom gave it to my stepbrother he kept it up for a few years and then couldn’t afford the upkeep so it sat on land at a marina on the Hudson rotting away every once and a while I would go by and take a look when hurricane sandy hit that was the end of it 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Insurance claim? Forget the drain plug?
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    It's become a topic in Ontario as there was legislation introduced a couple of years ago making the registered owner responsible for the proper disposal of old boats. Most dump sites will no longer take them so as a result people are stripping the registration numbers and manufacturer's plates off and abandoning them. Pi$$e$ me off every time I see one dumped on the side of the road somewhere. But on the other hand there's not a lot of places to take them. There was an outfit for a few years that was salvaging all the hardware and grinding up the hulls for recycling but they couldn't make a buck at it and closed. I our community alone there are probably several hundred old boats just sitting in back yards rotting away.
  • Options
    bry1429 said:

Watch "RV demolition Derby" on YouTube
    BTW that was a sick move at 1:55 to roll that one RV on its side.  
  • Options
    mattie said:
    Jeeze makes the fiberglass look like cardboard...

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Some charities will take cars and boats, karsforkids.com.  I wonder when it isn't feasible for them.
  • Options
    It isn't feasible when it costs more for the disposal than the value. The junkiest car always has some residual value as scrap metal. A junked boat costs money to get rid of.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Rent a dumpster and go to work with a chainsaw while wearing a mask and suit.    About 250 here and you have a month to toss her in.

Dont do it in the front yard if you have an hoa
  • Options
    Or you could be rich like @javhav and restore and sell older boats. It could be a great business like restoring old cars. I would love to have an older 12 meter Trojan or a Center Console. 
  • Options
    Rent a dumpster and go to work with a chainsaw while wearing a mask and suit.    About 250 here and you have a month to toss her in.

Dont do it in the front yard if you have an hoa
    If there wasn't such a big risk to injury, could you imagine giving a few sledge hammers to a bunch of kids and say "go wild tearing it apart."  Heck, I'd make that a theme for my kid's birthday party ... call it Wreck it Ralph or something.

"Boat + Water = Fun"