Options

What to do with a boat that won't sell

13»

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't salvage rights come into pay with abandoned vessels?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Stingray looks like it was a fresh water boat. If you zoom in on the drive it looks like it’s in great shape also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just looking closer, looks like someone attached a tie from the back of the Stingray to the other as if towing it.....
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I noticed that @icoultha
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Probably how they yanked it off the trailer. LOL
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Javhav's new toys?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pat310 said:
    Probably how they yanked it off the trailer. LOL
    You’re probably right! looking at how tight it is!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea not going take the hole boat just some parts that way its a little when they pick it up
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    Well, the stingray is now gone this morning, but the bigger one is still there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Another example.  She's a Chris Craft, possibly a Constellation 57 from the 1960s.  The owner abandoned her a couple years ago.  Luckily, the battery charger and bilge pumps still work, or she'd be on the bottom. 

In 1994, she won "Best Classic Power" at DC's Blessing of the Fleet.  Now she's a hideous, disgusting mold-fest with rotting decks.  Want to make a small fortune?  Get a large fortune, and then buy this boat.  

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a shame. Those old Chris's are beautiful when maintained. But that's also a full time occupation.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a cool video I found of one of those boats being restored. Wish they had a cost breakdown for it. 

https://youtu.be/IRJ6ycrvppI
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Very cool, if I didn’t have to worry about money and had all the time in the world, I would be all over that! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it" purchases
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I was offered something like that, for very cheap... to live on.. owner wanted 20k... engines ran, AC worked, no leaks, etc... but even with all that going for it, there was NO WAY I could afford to maintain it, forget about actually using it.. owner put it up for sale, for 100k, after months and months of negotiations some miami guy got it for 35k.. guess I could have made $ on it, but it looked like a nightmare, sitting at a miami dock with no AC actually turned on for a long time.

As beautiful as it looks, just remember what Miami is like. I'd never have been able to afford dockage in the keys. As it is, the basic cost for a 270 down here is 600 Monthly + tax. 

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Yeah plenty of cheap good looking boats but the cost to maintain/restore is high. I'm mostly curious on the cost just cause. I did watch another video that broke down all the cost of their upgrades for their 50 or 55 foot trawler. 

They spent $111,000 on the trawler and that wasn't any engines. Just went back and looked. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/CruisingSeaVenture
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think marathon bay mooring field is sub 500 a month.  Weekly pump out included.  I also think they bring you water.  

There is a dock for dingys.

Limit is I think 60 ft.   Nice protected bay.

Only catch is you have to be a live aboard or a transient staying aboard.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I pay almost $400/mo for only 6 months of boating. Add the cost of winterizing, winter cover, etc and Miami sounds like a deal. 

Edit. Converted to US $$
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Insane what some moorage cost. I pay $247 and if I went to the city docks not private it would be sub $200 for covered and more services however I hate their boat launch and it's further away from home 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    If anybody wants that Chris Craft, they would probably give it away (as is, where is).  Contact Coles Point Marina in Hague Virginia.  
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Chicago's Diversey harbor for my 270 was $600 a month, included a parking pass.  Great facility and perfect location.  The price to be on the water in a large city.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I remember when I visited the Knob Creek, KY Machine Gun shoot there were boats downrange for people to blast to pieces. This is a win-win for everybody. A fiberglass hull doesn't last to long when somebody opens up with a .50 cal Ma Deuce!
    Andy
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @rinker270nb - Did you leave Diversey?  We moved to Northpoint this year and there's lots of Chicago refuges who can't believe the amenities and how nice the harbor system is.  I see lots of people not returning to Chicago.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    @skennelly We planned on being (back) on the Fox River this year as our kids have travel sports.  It works, don't really love it.  My boat is 8 mins from my house, weekends are a smokeshow.  So many accidents this year.  It is the best weather I can remember.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @rinker270nb - Yeah I can imagine the chain is really busy.  I have a friend who does a lot of fishing and he's having a hard time getting out there before it gets busy.  Man I'd kill to have our boat 8 minutes away..lol
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    @rinker270nb - Yeah I can imagine the chain is really busy.  I have a friend who does a lot of fishing and he's having a hard time getting out there before it gets busy.  Man I'd kill to have our boat 8 minutes away..lol
    pluses and minuses to both. Having the boat in the back yard is neat, but I'm moving to a marina about 40 mins from "home" 20 from work... location is better and I miss the marina life. Back yard is very isolating.. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There. Problem solved!

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭