Options

Wifi Hot Spots

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @Handymans342 , I was also thinking if it works well I can get a USB cable the length I need. I don’t think I’ll need 25’. This will cut down on the drop, if there is one.
    Can the cable be removed from the antenna??
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They give you some waterproof tape to seal off the areas that water might get in if you mount it horizontally. It will be mounted vertical so didn’t have to use it but I sealed it anyway. I didn’t like using the tape so I sealed the areas off with 3M 4000UV. There’s an o-ring at the base of the antenna so you don’t have to seal that off.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @Handymans342 , yes. It unplugs from the tube. It has a piece with a spacer that screws on the bottom so the cable can’t be unplugged when installed. 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    It’s just for an overnight during a trip but people have taken advantage of it and a lot of Walmart’s or townships have prohibited it. 
    Now there’s a stunning view I can’t wait to miss - a parking lot. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    aero3113 said:
    @Handymans342 , yes. It unplugs from the tube. It has a piece with a spacer that screws on the bottom so the cable can’t be unplugged when installed. 

Ok awesome. I will buy one. 
  • Options
    @Handymans342 ,if you want to get a shorter USB cable you will need one with male/female ends.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @Handymans342 ,if you want to get a shorter USB cable you will need one with male/female ends.
    Will do. Do you know anything about sound bars?
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Also do an internet speed test before and after. Post results
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy, going to a walmart to set up your RV was not your best come back line....
  • Options
    I don’t know anything about sound bars.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Handy, going to a walmart to set up your RV was not your best come back line....
    Rick, I have seen you in a few of those Walmart pictures lol
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Yeah....except the annoying neighbour on the next lot. .....we can always pull anchor and move. 🙄
    Here is something you won’t see “out on the lake”
    LOL
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC even as a Canadian I knew that. Not as prevalent in Canada but big in the US. Some big Wally's particularly in the South even  have electrical hook ups. Not as encouraged as it used to be. The thought was that the lot is empty all night anyway and they might buy something while there.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Canada has a lot of free parking places for RVs especially in the Yukon on the way to Alaska. Can’t wait 
  • Options
    Canada has a lot of free parking places for RVs especially in the Yukon on the way to Alaska. Can’t wait 
    Yeah. Because it's 400 miles of sweet F.A. except for bears and blueberries. 
  • Options
    I think this antenna is going to work really well! These are the signals that I’m picking up at the dock. Only one or two were showing up on my phone before I set it up. For some reason my hot spots aren’t asking for a password so I can’t connect. I wish I was tech savvy because it seems really easy to set up, I just don’t know what settings to choose. I have to do some more research. I forgot my tie wrap tool to pull them tight so I left them long for now.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Do a speed test!
  • Options
    I will once I get connected. Hopefully tomorrow, had to run into work today 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Most of those are cable company wifi, they don't ask for passwords to connect but you'll need to put in your cable account user and password to get anywhere. That'll work just fine I suppose... try it out and let us know. 

We watched the space launch from the boat today just using my cell phone hot spot... which is free for one device at any time (visible wireless)... worked like a charm! 

• Options
    @J3ff , what carrier do you have?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.visible.com/ - runs on Verizon, if you can get 4 people to join your "visible party" it's 25 a month. Converted to them when I went south, got my family on board and it's been awesome ever since. Unlimited verizon with "free" hotspot for that little is unbeatable. 
  • Options
    Nice
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    This is how I temporarily ran the wire without drilling into the arch yet. When the Bimini is zipped the Velcro keeps the wire secure. I also temporarily mounted the router at the helm. Once I figure it out, I’ll run the wire through the arch and into the cabin, I’ll also have the router in the cabin but I’ll hard wire it.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 are you also going to figure out a more permanent mount that doesn't block your all round light?
  • Options
    @Willhound , it doesn’t block the light. This all around light has a forward and aft bulb, the middle where the antenna passes is a dead spot.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @Willhound , it doesn’t block the light. This all around light has a forward and aft bulb, the middle where the antenna passes is a dead spot.
    I figured you wouldn't do that, but a fore and aft bulb and it is visible 360 degrees? That's pretty neat. I kind of like the idea so that if one bulb goes out you still have some light visible.
  • Options
    This post got me thinking about my own situation with using a Roku box on marina Wifi for my TV. My home TV/Internet/Phone is all Internet based and the company I deal with announced that the TV service would be available on Roku. The old Roku box I had didn't seem to want to work well, so I shelled out $60 for a new model, but same result. A call to the company informed me that I could have as many Roku boxes as I like, BUT I can only access the service on their Internet service/carrier as per their content licensing agreement. So no go at the marina.
    But at least the new box has casting ability so I can download content to my phone at home and cast it to the TV. Not as elegant, but hey, it's TV on a boat.
  • Options
    I tried some more today and I can’t log in to my WiFi providers hot spot. I’m thinking I might have a setting wrong or I’m using an incorrect username and password. This is what the page looks like to connect to my hotspot. If anyone sees anything that I should change let me know. All I should have to do is put in my users name and password. There are multiple signals I can use out on the water, just need to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Still waiting on that speed test
  • Options
    You’re not going to get a speed test until I can get connected.
    2008 330EC