Options

My new toy 2001 2859 diesel

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 800 hrs.  Doing a shake down run this weekend.  Fingers crossed we will have a trouble free weekened on the lake.  

So far the only thing i cannot get working is the spot light.  Ill be filling the water tank and testing out the head and pressurized water tank tomorrow evening.  

Will post more pics as i can.

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok that's crossing a line. We said the forum was  open to help non Rinker owners but now you go and make a whole post about a Bayliner 😋

Looks clean which diesel? I think I saw one with a 4.7 Cummins, I do love diesels. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as he has a diesel he stays. Just sayin
  • Options
    This is badged as a cummins but is an Italian engine built in Belgium.  Its a VM QSD. 

Their reliability was questionable on boats over propped or neglected.  

You guys are better than anyone on the BL forums!  Ill take more pics as i clean.  This boat has been sitting for a while so she has the typical sitting grime. I dont have time to wash and wax before a shake down launch.  The admiral is happy i did fit the ac unit in the aft bedroom and we have room for a box fan to circulate it to the main cabin.

The po removed the rear mattress for storage. New gel memory mattress on order.  This weekend my kid will get that room as he already has a small fold out mattress he uses in the aft berth of the 235

I've also ordered a macerator to tie into my waste pump out so i can drain the holding tank into the camp ground waste station

• Options
    Motor pics next
  • Options
    inline 6 and 9.5 beam.  I could tap dance around this engine compartment. 

Anyone care to tell me what thay filter contraption is with the red hose? Im guessing filter for raw water pick up?   The thru hull for the inlet hose us on the other side of the motor by the hot water heater.
  • Options
    The rope across the motor in the pic was for holding the hatch open.  Didnt want to that thing falling on me.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like your raw water strainer. Screw the top off and there should be a basket to remove and clean.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thank you. I thought so.  

When changing bravo oil. I drain with both plugs out and reservoir hose crimped.  Then fill from bottom hole.  Then install bottom plug then top plug.  Then release reservoir crimp.  Then remove top plug to burp the system, reinstall.  Then fill reservoir to top.

Does that sound about right? No reservoir on my alpha.  

Im also going to want to do the impeller on the raw water pump if that's a replaceable part like on an alpha or old volvo pents.    I need to find a service manual for this engine.  Finding and bravo service manual shouldnt be difficult.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    The PO did some scrapping together on the plumbing and wiring. lol. They disconnected the hotwater heater from the engine too. Some good tlc is needed. I would think the red hose (is that even marine hose?) and filter are for engine cooling?  Is the engine raw water and exhaust cooling water separate systems on that diesel?

here is your goal 😆😆
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The hot water heater is not functional other than an extra 6 gallons of water storage.  I have never used the hot water on my 235 so it may end up being removed and bypassed for now.  The head uses raw water for flushing so our water consumption will be low.  I need to figure out the operation of the head but need it in the water to try it out.

Ill never get this engine bay that clean lol.  Where is the trim tab reservoir,  batteries, the trim pump??? 

Im not sure if that hose is marine rated or not. Looks industrial to me.  

In the pic the raw water pick up has a fitting/hose attachment on it to connect a garden hose.  Before purchase i had him run it for a while.   It has since been reconnected to the seacock.

For some reason i thought the bravo sucked water up through the foot like that of an alpha or old volvo penta.   

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I thought so.  

When changing bravo oil. I drain with both plugs out and reservoir hose crimped.  Then fill from bottom hole.  Then install bottom plug then top plug.  Then release reservoir crimp.  Then remove top plug to burp the system, reinstall.  Then fill reservoir to top.

Does that sound about right? No reservoir on my alpha.  

Im also going to want to do the impeller on the raw water pump if that's a replaceable part like on an alpha or old volvo pents.    I need to find a service manual for this engine.  Finding and bravo service manual shouldnt be difficult.
    I know some people crimp the reservoir line, but I don’t. I just let it all drain and refill. It’s not much oil that you’re saving, and the screen in the bottom of the reservoir is prone to sludging up. This gives you a chance to clean it. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Makes sense. I will be doing the change after our first weekend. Make sure there are no leaks the first weekend on the water. Thank you. Our local walmart sells the quick sliver foot oil. 

• Options
    You sure have an endless project now
  • Options
    Use mineral spirits to clean out the reservoir. If it’s never been done, it will definitely have sludge in it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It does.  The biggest question now is...what kind of diesel engine to drop in when this goes....will a 7.3(weights 100lbs less) turn 3300 rpms all day?  

Or a lighter more powerful om606 Mercedes i marinise.

Or the yanmar from a land crusier or bmw that i can use VP parts on.

Im also thinking about the genset.  What does a 4 to 7k diesel genset weigh? 

• Options
    I think my 5ECD is only around 200 lbs. I don’t know if diesels are heavier or not.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would use yanmar in my monkey brain opinion. As far as the gender wouldn't 3-4k be more than enough. I have a 4k on my 280 and it runs everything just fine. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    It does.  The biggest question now is...what kind of diesel engine to drop in when this goes....will a 7.3(weights 100lbs less) turn 3300 rpms all day?  

Or a lighter more powerful om606 Mercedes i marinise.

Or the yanmar from a land crusier or bmw that i can use VP parts on.

Im also thinking about the genset.  What does a 4 to 7k diesel genset weigh? 

1st Gen 5.9 Cummins
  • Options
    I think a 12bt might rattle the bravo 2(x i think) apart.  But that is a great motor.  I dont think they like to rev over about 2700 rpms do they? 
  • Options
    Bravo 2 is plenty beefy to handle the 5.9. Just need the right adapters
  • Options
    What is the gear ratio on the B2?
  • Options
    Im not sure.  Im assuming it's the diesel gear at it tops out @ 4200 to 4400 if im not mistaken.  Hope to find out in the morning.  The bow thruster should help make trailer loading much easier
  • Options
    The ratio should be stamped in the drive housing
  • Options
    My Yanmars topped out at 3400
  • Options
    Most diesels are either 1800, 3600 or the new merc diesel is 4200
  • Options
    Any idea where?   The outdrive paint is rough and will need to be cleaned to read anything.  3850 is the high idle iirc so 3600 may be my top rpm with correct prop.   Will be getting a paint job

• Options
    Got some scrubbing done today.  Pressurized water pump is leaking.  Luckily the po tossed in a new one
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A diesel genny at 5.5kw nears 400#. 

I’m not sure a 7.3l would run the rpm you want. There is a reason most diesels have a transmission between it and the propshaft. Getting the correct coupling to deal with the torsionals from the engine will set you back a pretty penny too...plus pay for the TVA needed. Be better off with a Volvo or Yanmar made for a boat. 

The Bravo drives do bring in water to the engine. Even some gas engines use a second raw water intake thru the hull. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The gear ratio is stamped in the case near the top
  • Options
    Ok i may have a second heat exchanger. I've got to look closely before launch.   Is there a 2nd water pump on some models?