Options

My new toy 2001 2859 diesel

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Yes, I went from 3 blade 22p to 4 blade big cow 20p, I think 20p, maybe 21.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. Im going from 17p 3 blade stainless to this 16p. 

I tried a 15p 3 blade but couldnt do more than about 16 knots
  • Options
    I should state that I went from AL to SS.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick you are in for the surprise of your life i will tell you. 
  • Options
    Fingers crossed this storm stays north of us when it hits.  Calling for severe winds and storms right now.  I wish i had time this week to launch
  • Options
    Fingers crossed this storm stays north of us when it hits.  Calling for severe winds and storms right now.  I wish i had time this week to launch
    Yeah, thanks.  It is ending our 10 day trip a day or two early.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    @Dream_Inn stay safe bro. Hopefully everyone stays safe......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Yeah, thanks.  It is ending our 10 day trip a day or two early.
    I'm not wishing it on you...im only wishing it away from me😂.

I hope everyone stays safe as it passes
  • Options
    We are home, boat on lift, but staying on boat thru Sunday.  Doesn't look too bad for us.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    Booming thunder over here @Dream_Inn and tomorrow looks like a great day for a fast cruise!  (As in, lines made fast to the pier.)  
  • Options
    Ordered a diesel tiny tach to calibrate my tach as it looks to have been adjusted previously and i remember the seller mentioning it may need tweeking.

My tiny tach attaches to an injector line to read rpm.  They had 1/4 inch and 6 mm.  My line is slightly longer than 6mm.  I waited 6 weeks or so to get it in off back order. No fault of tiny tach, their communication was too notch.

I had to drill my tach line camp out slightly to fit my line properly.  This was a careful and stressful process as its thin epoxy and pot metal.

One fit I launched boat for the weekend.

I hit 3750 rpms on the tiny tach.  I was some 1k rpms off on my dash tach.  Took 3 tries but I got it dialed in within 100 rpms. 

My fuel was half tank approx 50 gallons.  My water tank I have no idea on capacity was some 20% full or less and my waste tank was mostly empty.  Had maybe a weekend of potty going in her for 2.  

I was solo.  My rpm range wot is 3600 to 3800. Fully loaded with fuel and crew im sure I'll drop to 3600 and with a 1/4 Fuel i may max 3800.

I cruise comfortably on plane around 3200 rpms @ 18 mph.

I start to plane fully  around 16.5 to 17mph. 

This heavy single screw diesel does still plow.  Jet skis find me from miles away.

The hill marine big cow 16p 18.25 prop is perfect for my engine and outdrive.  

Also 9000 btu is too small for the 2859 if you want 70 to 71 degree temps as the southern morning sun rises in 88 degree water.    Works great all night until about 8 or 9 Am.  Then she freezes as she runs too long and can't cycle because she can't keep up.  

If i had a marine genset id go to a 16k.   
  • Options
    What is time to plane?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I have not tried to time it yet but surprisingly quick for such a big single screw boat.  Ill try to time it this weekend.  Will probably be my last launch of the season.

They had a bravoIII 350 option for these hulls.   
  • Options
    It’s the Big Cow prop
  • Options
    It’s the Big Cow prop
    Definitely!!  They are amazing!

• Options
    I was slightly faster with the 3 blade, but by maybe .5 mph.  

Im more impressed with the idle speed manners
  • Options
    I was slightly faster with the 3 blade, but by maybe .5 mph.  

Im more impressed with the idle speed manners
    And time to plane
  • Options
    Yes, time to plane is the craziest part.  I'm pushing 25k lbs and can get on plane in 6 seconds.  Just crazy!!

• Options
    Im gonna guess 20 seconds or less. I never gun it out of the hole.  I accelerate a little then add more throttle in stages as i level out the boat with the tabs.  
  • Options
    Im gonna guess 20 seconds or less. I never gun it out of the hole.  I accelerate a little then add more throttle in stages as i level out the boat with the tabs.  
    No. You have to feel the turbo kick in
  • Options
    Like most big diesels you can hear the whistle well before 2000 rpms.  
    My uncle's first fishing trip in 15 plus years

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Big boats are big work to winterize.  

I drained my fresh water tank and used a 3 ft flex 1/2 hose to go between my fresh water hose and inside a gallon of -50 antifreeze.  Ended up using maybe 3 gallons to flush out the hot water heater and all lines

Then to the toilet.  Unhooked the pick up hose from thru hull and same method to suck up half a gallon of antifreeze.

Then onto my shower drain and AC prime/condensation line that goes into a bilge catch basin.  I pulled lines to get most of any remaining water out. I then flushed with more antifreeze.

Then to the AC water line.  That pump isn't self priming so I had to pour antifreeze in the line until the thru hull pumped out pink.  

Still need to do the holding tank ( macerator lines mostly) my wash down hose and engine.  

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    @PickleRick why winterize where you live?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Because we regularly see sub 32 degree temp between mid Oct and mid April.  The worst comes between Jan and March usually. There is nothing tropical about South Carolina. 

We have hot summers and cold winters.  Not really much in between.  Can have both in the same week.  

If i knew it wouldn't get down past the low 30s id just toss a few heat lamps in the engine and cabin bilge. Maybe a small space heater in the cabin and call it a day.    Our winters suck.  I can't even leave my sagos out all winter.  Not a fun plant to move when they approach 5 gallon size