Tell me how you big single screw guys get on plane using your trim tabs

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
You guys with a 270 and the like, especially the early 2000s where the platfrom drug into the water when getting over the hump.  Im more looking for tips from you small block guys.  

I have a boat that weights in dry at sub 8000 lbs per factory but i have an 1100 lbs diesel.  Im sure my boat comes closer to 10k.  

I can get to about 22 knots (around 24mph) when the wind and lake is calm.  Im cutting about 3000 rpms, maybe a little more. My rpm gauge is about as accurate as our rinker gauges as it likes to stick from time to time. Usually a tap tap gets her moving again.

When i launch the boat i trim the tabs to push the bow down fully. This also improves no wake and hull speed (6/7 knots) tracking as she wonders badly without the tabs trimmed down.

Without the tabs my bow goes sky high when accelerating.  With them she seems to hit 18 knots(where she gets over the hump) pretty easily.  It still takes a min or two but she is a diesel, mpgs>speed.  Once up even at 20 knots any easing of the tabs will bring the bow higher and i lose speed.

My question is do you guys play with outdrive trim when crusing, set tabs?  Whats your method?   

Thanks ahead of time guys.  Rinkers rule.

Boat is a 2001 bayliner 2859 for reference.

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to get A 4 blade big cow hill marine prop ASAP
    And a boost gauge
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I need to figure out my gear ratio first unless you think that hill marine will have that info on file
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drive and tabs full down until on plane then tabs full up. Trim drive up just slightly to get a good plane. Adjust left or right tab to correct any list from wind or load. That's it.
    I easily get in plane in about 8 seconds with full fuel and water and 2 to 3 on board. I figure fully loaded I'm about 9500 lbs.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    tabs dwn 2 red lights - no trim  power up n thru smoothly till i hear the lake pipes roar - cut back a bit - look left then right = hammer down = passing sea rays n mastercrafts = love the smile on my admirals face  B)
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Rick, any chance you could move weight forward?  To me it sounds like you may have a little too much of your load aft.  You should be able to lift the tabs up once on plane.  If you just compare hp to weight ratio, I have 850hp but 25k lbs weight.  If I have a lot of weight on board, I notice a huge difference just by moving some of it up to the bow, especially at a cruising speed.  I will also agree with Handy, my Hill Marine Big Cow props literally made my boat get on plane twice as quick.  What drive do you have on her?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I need to figure out my gear ratio first unless you think that hill marine will have that info on file
    They don’t need that but you need to know your current prop numbers. Pitch and diameter
    Bravo 2. The bravo 3 doesn't so much hold together long on the diesels from what i hear.  Especially not on heavy boats.
    Rinkers were built to pass searays
    Dream_Inn said:
    Rick, any chance you could move weight forward?  To me it sounds like you may have a little too much of your load aft.  You should be able to lift the tabs up once on plane.  If you just compare hp to weight ratio, I have 850hp but 25k lbs weight.  If I have a lot of weight on board, I notice a huge difference just by moving some of it up to the bow, especially at a cruising speed.  I will also agree with Handy, my Hill Marine Big Cow props literally made my boat get on plane twice as quick.  What drive do you have on her?

Im looking into this now.  I may be able to move my secondary bank under my table or under the v berth. 

Being that im hitting 3000 rpms plus i doubt I'm having perfomance issues other than a heavy boat.  I cannot remember my prop specs off hand other than 17 pitch.  Im pretty sure its 22 3/4 but 24 comes to mind too
    TORQUE 
    boat test did a report few years back = i cant find
  • MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Not sure what you have but I have a 2013 290ec with the Volvo Penta D4 diesel. It's a dual prop single screw and heavy.

In order to help cure constant overheating issues, Rinker/Volvo switched my original prop to something smaller and placed 200 lbs of chain in my anchor locker to provide more bow weight. This has mostly cured the issues. Crazy that they wouldn't have properly designed things for an engine they offer for the boat.

I trim down and full tab at the start then bring the tabs up when on plane. I trim the drive back to where I normally run when on plane. Lastly, adjust left or right tab to balance the boat.
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
    You guys need to trim the drive too!
    edited July 2020
    I have concrete to remove from my stern as well.  Port side.  Under batteries and hot water tank. Approx 175 lbs.

Used to help factory list.  

I have 200 ft of chain already.  Since i have bow thruster i already have huge cables running aft. Wont be hard to run a double bank forward. That's obviously winter work.

Adding a marine a.c. is first.  Might happen before winter. Was previously under the v berth and will probably go back there. Might help solve the issue.

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have concrete to remove from my stern as well.  
    Why do you have concrete at your stern?
    2008 330EC
    edited July 2020
    Early models had a list and the engineers added weight port side to fix it.  Typical bayliner cheap easy fix design work.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is hilarious! But practical and cheap I guess.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hill marine prop(s) first!! They lift the stern, at least the 4 x 4 did on mine!!
    Ill get specs and call tomorrow
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before the props I would have to mess with drive trim and trim tabs all the time. After putting them on the drive trim did NOTHING... literally never touch it and trim tabs were only used to balance the boat because of weight or wind... never use them to get out of the hole. 
    Low RPM diesels can’t spin the prop fast enough so that’s why you need a 4 blade
    its for trolling
    maybe this will help 
    i found a pic @ wot

edited July 2020
    Diesels don't last long if you dont stretch their legs every now and then. Tends to coke the rings and damage the cylinders.

But you're right, this is 100% a crusing boat and could be very comforable with a.c. at the helm and a 100 hp inboard plus huge genset to run at hull speeds with all the creature comforts at your disposal.
    To complete my venture into mid life crisis i may be trading the rinker for either a road glide or a porche convertible.

Soon ill be rambling about the great loop
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Rinker for RoadGlide, yes. For a souped up VW - you're outta here :)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

I already have a souped up turbo VW...and she's diesel lol.
    edited July 2020
    mine lasted to 325k miles when the o1m drive went out = chipped-dipped-injected
    gave it to my daughter who put another 15/20k miles on it
    sold it to a father n son in Michigan = 1800 they did a 5speed conversion 
    we turned our 15 sportwagon back in during dzlegate

its a great boat
    i would have to do the 454 unless i had the dough to make it a tdi/370
    outboards would be killer with all that engine room for gen/storage
    not into the bulkhead doors
    i looked at several 
    short comings for us = out door space / kitty pad = we are loungers not fishing
    most have no generator
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Tabs down, trim down, until planed out.  Then level the trim, and most of the time tabs up, but it all depends on lake condition.  Tabs are the majority of my adjustments on the fly....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm about the same as @Lake_Bum tabs down trim down and raise gradually once on plane to the sweet spot
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3