Options

Tell me how you big single screw guys get on plane using your trim tabs

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    I'm about the same as @Lake_Bum tabs down trim down and raise gradually once on plane to the sweet spot
    Same here
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go tabs full down trim full down and once on plane tabs all the way up and trim up until it porpoises a bit, then trim down until porpoising stops. 

I only use one tab (the starboard tab as the boat runs port high) to level the boat while it is on plane. Am I using my tabs wrong?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 235 i use the tabs down to track straight at idle speeds.

I also use them to level a port side list at running speeds.

I don't use them at all to get on plane. She pops up in just a second or two.

I also have a large fin on my alpha
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much the same...down at slow speed helps tracking...everything down to start. I end up with tabs in the water however...probably could raise them and less od trim would do the same but use to level as well. If I have say large passengers sitting in the back, full of water and fuel I have them move forward but I think I'm ready for a tune up also....takes about 8 seconds to get on plane...not to bad all things considered and lumbers along nice at 25 which is max speed on the river.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I go tabs full down trim full down and once on plane tabs all the way up and trim up until it porpoises a bit, then trim down until porpoising stops. 

I only use one tab (the starboard tab as the boat runs port high) to level the boat while it is on plane. Am I using my tabs wrong?!
    Nope. Sounds about perfect.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 235 i use the tabs down to track straight at idle speeds.

I also use them to level a port side list at running speeds.

I don't use them at all to get on plane. She pops up in just a second or two.

I also have a large fin on my alpha
    I didn't need tabs to plane on my previous boat.  I don't think the 330 would plane without them!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    With the 4x4 props I don’t think I need tabs but I use them. I’m up and out in under 5 seconds.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The bravo 3 does have a ton of lift. 

I think they make a bravo 3x now for diesels.  That would be a nice upgrade if i had near 10 boat dollars to spend
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yanmar makes a superior drive
  • Options
    @PickleRick. Have you changed fuel filters yet??? Have you verified boost yet?? You should get the fuel polished very soon. Also add a bottle of cetane boost additive 
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the 330 would plane without them!
    YYZRC said.
    I agree.  I can’t imagine trying to get the 330 up without full tabs.  And that’s just with my wife and I.
  • Options
    @PickleRick. Have you changed fuel filters yet??? Have you verified boost yet?? You should get the fuel polished very soon. Also add a bottle of cetane boost additive 

Fuel filters look new but will be changed out soon. Any fuel delivery issue with a diesel results in black smoke.  I have zero smoke. I habe 3/4 tank of fuel. I am putting in a bottle of cleaner, booster and stabilizer for my next launch and will do a another when i run this tank down to about a 1/4 tank.  

I have a boost gauge ordered.  Im not sure what part of the intake manifold is able to be drilled and and tapped for pressue so im going to the waste gate feed tube.  Instead of a rubber hose like on a street vehicle it uses a metal tube with banjo bolts from the intake(intake is also the air to water intercooler aka after cooler).  I dont want to risk tapping the intake to find a water jacket.  

I've ordered a new tube that goes from the intake to the waste gate. I will be having that tube modified to make a T for my boost gauge.

Ive inspected the intake fins and they look perfect. The turbo spins freely.  There are no signs of a boost leak(oil residue)  

There is the possibility of a sticking wastegate, once i know what the factory boost setting is for this motor i will be able to compare that to the results on my gauge.  

• Options
    I got a parts break down. No gasket between the waste gate and housing, ill pull the waste gate and pressure test the diaphram as well as check for sticking actuator.

The admirals mom has a b day party Saturday so no lake time sadly
  • Options
    What lake are you on?
  • Options
    I go to Hartwell.  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to need the trim tabs down to have a decent experience planing, and yeah 175 lbs of concrete at the back of the boat isn't helping at all.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited July 2020
    @MarkB i expected that in kgs from you 😝

Ill be calling hill props but only after i verify my engine is in top order.  

Im no prop expert.  18 knots is where this jumps up on plane.  I dont want to go too aggressive and slip so much i cant get over the hump and i cant stay over propped or ill kill the engine running wot

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's about where the line is for me too, which makes sense, maybe a little less with the better props. 
  • Options
    Ive been seeing used bravo 3x on ebay for sub 3k
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does a bravo 3 really have a good rep? MINE sure doesn't!!!  I'd say try a prop upgrade and go w/ it. 
  • Options
    The x model is at least diesel compatible.   I trailer on fresh water so corrosion won't be an issue.   

I will be trying a prop first
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Spyderweb said:
    YYZRC said.
    I agree.  I can’t imagine trying to get the 330 up without full tabs.  And that’s just with my wife and I.
    I never use them to get on plane in my 310. Then again I don’t want to shoot out in 5 seconds either, I take her up easy and at around 16mph the bow starts to drop as she gets on plane. I’m not pushing water for that long to get there.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
  • Options
    @icoultha , just make sure your not putting unnecessary strain on the engines. You don’t want to use them to push through and eventually get up. Try using the tabs, they will get you up and out quickly and save on fuel.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    i still cant find a stamped serial and the tag is gone with drive ratio
  • Options
    The serial number on a bravo is up near the top close to the hull starboard side. @Dream_Inn should be able to get a pic of his
  • Options
    What is the max rpm of that motor??
  • Options
  • Options
    I think id either have a 1.8, 2.0 or 2.2, 2.0 is the only one i remember 100%. 

Doing 2.0 which is common on diesels.  3000 rpms at 22 knots(25 mph) it says i have a prop slip of 1.  I dont think that's right lol
  • Options
    My drive was 1.67