Options

Doral 330se

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Nutera(spelling?)  salt system for engine rinse down after running in the ocean. Not connected but does have a hose hook up by the heat exchanger for rinse down. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Did the manifolds on the starboard motor and still have steam when running hard. Compression came back low on a couple of cylinders so I will do the heads or I may take out both motors and freashing up. Have sit and comptinplate.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    That's a nice setup.  The black/yellow is a relay isolator.  At the far right next to the fresh water pump is an accumulator tank (same one I have).  

What's the big gray box with breakers and fuses on top?  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Did the manifolds on the starboard motor and still have steam when running hard. Compression came back low on a couple of cylinders so I will do the heads or I may take out both motors and freashing up. Have sit and comptinplate.
    @reneechris14 , curious if the engine is still making WOT with the low compression?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    That's a nice setup.  The black/yellow is a relay isolator.  At the far right next to the fresh water pump is an accumulator tank (same one I have).  

What's the big gray box with breakers and fuses on top?  
    Kind of a junction box for windlees and other things
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @reneechris14 , curious if the engine is still making WOT with the low compression?
    Made it to about 3500rpm but was a dog to get there. Hard to tell if one motor was keeping the other motor down. 26 mph top speed gets on plane but trys to hard, ain't dad's Rinker.
  • Options
    A little comparison
    2005 Rinker 342.   new in 05 was $169000
    2003 Doral 330se  new in 03 was $205000
    Nada base for 05 342 now $72000
    Nada base for 03 330 now $56000
    I know these have many variables but though it was neat info. Now that have been in the doral for a couple of weeks can see many differences and I think the Rinker was well though out.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a big difference. I'm all about looking at residual value for things I buy. We bought our car 1 year old with 4000 miles and it was 18k as opposed to 30k new. The only thing that seems to hold value from new lately is trucks and SUV. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little comparison
    I know these have many variables but though it was neat info. Now that have been in the doral for a couple of weeks can see many differences and I think the Rinker was well though out.
    So why did you sell the 342??
  • Options
    A little comparison
    that is a very good question,  though the doral was worth more, it will be give me time.
  • Options
    A little comparison
    that is a very good question,  though the doral was worth more, it will be give me time.
    What????
  • Options
    Steve you and I both know I was suppose to buy a winter home in Cape Coral with the money 💰 
  • Options
    Steve you and I both know I was suppose to buy a winter home in Cape Coral with the money 💰 
    That’s no reason to sell the 342
  • Options
    When I bought this boat I had hopes of an easy fix, deep down I knew it the motor would come out so took both out. Fuel module was bad as the boat would run up to plane and fall off due to fuel pressure. Low pressure pump should stay up between 8-18 psi the old pump would drop to 2psi once a load was applied. Also had steam on the Starboard motor when revving was over 2000 so knew manifolds and risers were in order. We all know bad manifolds and risers will make bad exhaust valves especially if the are salt water cooled. The bock is fresh water cooled but manifolds are not. Should always due compression check before you buy any thing, remember that because I told you so. Hours were said to be 700 when I plugged in the computer the were 1146 starboard, 1140 port. If I took more time I could have purchased the the boat for even cheaper than I did. So starboard long block is at the machine shop, he thinks 5 to 6 weeks then I will bring port to him. Hoping to in at about 3500 a motor will stay close to stock but full refresh main bearing rod bearing rings hone cylinders alot of time and money will be spent on the heads as this is were the trouble is. Plan is to due engine bay in the spring as the boat is an hour away, should of had it brought home like the last 5 years. Hauling dude retired he should thought about me first. did score a used oil pan on Facebook market place $200. Volvo price $1050 crazy and set of manifolds for the port motor $200 better the $800. Did not get a pick of the motor when it was stripped down. 
  • Options
    when these motors are in the garage you really get the impression of how big they are. Been told by a couple of people not to go for much more HP because that's when trouble starts. Remember these are inboard motors with the exhaust open to the outside elements due to the way to exhaust is not like a bravo drive.
  • Options
    All good info. $3500 doesn't seem to bad for a full refresh does that include all the other cost with pulling the motors etc? 

Are you saying the exhaust is exposed since it is thru hull rather then out the drive?

I think I mentioned it before but you can get the fuel pump from mancavemechanic.com half of retail and he cleans the paint out of the inside of the pump module. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was your hauling guy thinking? he sould have known. so maybe 10 k for two installed. not bad. Lot of work on your part. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    All good info. $3500 doesn't seem to bad for a full refresh does that include all the other cost with pulling the motors etc? 

$3500 (I hope) is just machine work on block as long as everything thing is workable. Took me 4 hour to disconnect the 2 motors and $300 for a crane and a couple more hours to get them out on a trailer to get them home.
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:

Are you saying the exhaust is exposed since it is thru hull rather then out the drive?

Yes thru hull right out the side
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:

I think I mentioned it before but you can get the fuel pump from mancavemechanic.com half of retail and he cleans the paint out of the inside of the pump module. 

Mancavemechanic is great 
    But a new unit on Amazon for $179
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    What was your hauling guy thinking? he sould have known. so maybe 10 k for two installed. not bad. Lot of work on your part. 
    Yes lot of work for me couple hundred in tolls so far (prop puller, coupler puller and 3/4 drive ratchet and a couple big sockets).
    Hauling guy stayed on the crane?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Aqua_Aura said:

Mancavemechanic is great 
    But a new unit on Amazon for $179
    New unit for $179 which unit is that or did you just by the single part you needed and not the whole fuel module?

Oh I see you have the less expensive one. Mine was only a small number of serial numbers and it's slightly different and much more expensive 😲
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options

• Options
    Yep that's the less expensive one. Mine has a different pressure regulator on top and is $1600 from Volvo but luckily man cave had a rebuild for $600. Other than that not available anywhere else. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Chris, do you have a pic of the engine room with the motors out? Will you be giving the engine room a “LaRea” spa treatment?? 
  • Options
    Did not get pics of the engine room as the crane had to put the hatch back on. Do have access with a small hatch. Will do bilgekote in the spring but not the extent of @LaRea he always takes things to the next level. 
  • Options
    Well why not????
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    ... not the extent of @LaRea he always takes things to the next level. 
    You are so right, for better or for worse.  Drives the Admiral crazy.  I worked on the dirt home today ... the first day in a while that I didn't work on the boat.  

BTW it's a scientific fact that red paint adds 10 HP per engine.  Scientific fact.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was sad news to learn almost double the hours. What was the confusion.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    It was sad news to learn almost double the hours. What was the confusion.
    The hour meters on the dash adversely those are not correct.