Options

Well, Now I've gone and done it!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in General Boating Discussions
Have been considering selling for awhile now. Absolutely love the boat, but for a variety of reasons it makes sense to fish for offers right now. The market is hot, we're not happy with our marina and there's not a lot of other options in the area, we are considering a move in spring to an area not conducive to a owning big cruiser. Have very mixed emotions. My heart says no way, but my brain says give it a shot. Current price is negotiable based on if it sells now I don't have to kick in for next years slip fees. Winter storage already paid. We'll see what happens. If no bites, we'll put her in the slip in spring and re-visit the idea.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1525308024
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with it Willhound.
    The marina situation must be bad. I get it. 
    Get a smaller trailer boat & stay on the forum. Brand doesn't matter.

One of my boating buddies is doing the same. Funny, he said "once your are on the water - it doesn't really matter what type of boat you are on." It's all good. 

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very fair price for a great boat. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Thanks folks. To tell the truth I thought I had it priced a tad high but I've gotten a few messages now telling me it's very fair. I guess we'll see if any offers come. Not sure yet how I'll feel if it does sell.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be doing the same in the spring. It's crazy how the right marina really makes a difference. Up north I paid 500 a season to keep on a mooring and 1500 a winter to have it hauled, winterized and stored. Didn't have to do anything but shrink it and have fun working on little projects over the winter. 

Down here the cheapest I can find is 250 a month and that's at an a super crappy place behind someones house. Cheapest marina is 618/month + 4 dollars a day if you use your AC (seriously?) - that's where it's going for the winter, but in the spring I'm done. Might just end up with a **** jetski on a floating dock at this point. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it does sell you'll be happy and sad all at the same time. That's ok you moving on to the next chapter. You can feel good that somebody is getting a great boat. In better shape than when you bought it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Come to Bay Port!  It's worth the drive from Barrie to be on Georgian Bay.  They have some signing bonus right now for referrals, I think its $500 - I would happily sign it over to you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the offer @YYZRC but the marina is just part of the equation. We had originally planned to keep her someplace up there but the drive especially on weekends is a killer. As much as we don't like some aspects of our marina it's only 10 minutes away. Ad posted at midnight last night and already have someone wanting to come see her.  
  • Options
    The drive north of the 400/11 split is cake. It’s getting through Barrie that kills. Good luck with the sale!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, you and I both know this is no longer testing the waters ... the decision is as good as done! Good luck with the sale!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    I get what you say about the marina.  We drive 100 miles (1 hour 45 minutes) to get to our boat.  We have a great slip as far as wind protection and being on the end (so no dock neighbor to avoid hitting) and park the car right in front of our boat.  There are a lot of marinas up here that I if I had to go to them, I would end up selling.  But your “10 minutes away” sure does sound good for dropping in and doing all those little boat projects that pop up.
  • Options
    Up to 6 hits so far. 2 with follow up questions, 4 that want to look at it. I work all week until 6 or 7 and dark now at 7:45 So looks like I'll be setting up a schedule for the weekend. I honestly did not expect that kind of responses quick. Makes me wish I'd priced her higher. But talk is cheap of course and I know the number I'd be happy with, I'm not greedy.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    When I sold my FW 268 Vista on Kijiji last fall, I had 7 people inquire and 7 people showed up to view it.  I stacked them back to back in 1/2 hour time slots on a Sunday afternoon.  I had a bidding war happening between buyers!  Sold it on the spot to the first couple to view it, no conditions, no sea trial.  It was epic.
  • Options
    Your price is spot on, those buyer's will do there research. It only take's one. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Up to 6 hits so far. 2 with follow up questions, 4 that want to look at it. I work all week until 6 or 7 and dark now at 7:45 So looks like I'll be setting up a schedule for the weekend. I honestly did not expect that kind of responses quick. Makes me wish I'd priced her higher. But talk is cheap of course and I know the number I'd be happy with, I'm not greedy.
    Negotiate a better down payment, and cut yourself slack on the survey ... that reduced stress is worth a lot of money.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I just sold mine 3 weeks ago the 3rd person to look at it bought it sold for 27 with a trailer 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    going to look at a two Rinker 242 this weekend 
  • Options
    Honestly @GMSLITHO that was a great deal I think. Have our first visit/trial tonight. Sounds serious. Will keep you posted. A few tire kickers I've already blocked. Guy wanted it surveyed and delivered to him for $29,000 CDN. Told him to lose my number.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Wow. What a day. Had someone lined up for 10 but a no show. Right after somebody called and came by at noon. Nice guy, seems genuinely interested. Even took him out for a run. Was a bit choppy and although he was impressed by how the boat handled it I think he was a little out of his element. His previous boating experience is a pontoon on a small lake. Just after I told him how I had no problem backing a single engine into the slip a big gust came up and put us totally sideways. Karma I guess. But said he's still interested. No sooner he left another couple visiting the marina came by and then it was like an open house the rest of the afternoon. 5 other couples, all from our marina came by for a peak. Most were just curious but one was really interested. Another walked up and looked at the outside, asked how much and when I told them they commented that the book says 6 grand less and walked without even looking at the inside. No loss there. And just as I was getting in my truck to leave a guy pulls up all excited and says he's interested and can he come tomorrow morning. Yep. In addition I have a booking at 12 tomorrow and another at 5. So no lack of interest. The guy that looked at it the other night and said he's gonna make an offer? Messaged me today and his wife won't let him have the money. Apparently she controls the purse strings and has his balls in there too.
    My only regret is it's a beautiful evening and I should be spending it on the boat. But I have it spotless and know that if I stay I'll drink a pail full of beer and I don't want to wake up tomorrow having to clean up and have a bad attitude from a hangover when there's people coming to look.  >:)
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll get what your asking don't let anyone come in and low ball you with BS reasons like oh there's a scratch and does that look loose 🤨. Sellers market!! 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Yeah. This isn't a have to sell situation. I'd be just as happy to keep it. On the other hand I'm the kind of guy that if a nice couple came by, maybe a couple of kids and they're really keen I'd probably cut them a deal. I'd be happy knowing it was going to someone that will appreciate it and enjoy it.
  • Options
    Funny stories, When I sold my pontoon a month ago, only one guy called in two weeks. Of advertising.  But we cut the deal over the phone, with out him looking at it. He lived a couple hours away. brought the cash, took him for ride, he took it home. I did drop my price $900.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Sounds a bit frustrating, as Kijiji often is.
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @Willhound  that's a fine looking boat and the price seems fine in todays market. That would sell here fast. The problem here is if you leave the province you have to quarantine for 2 weeks when you return. This has kept the local market price higher than normal.  Good luck with the sale.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Thanks guys. Have another 4 bookings today at 11, 12, 2 and 5 plus the guy that stopped as I was leaving last night. Told him I'd be back around 10 and I'm willing to bet he's waiting when I get there. Have had 3 people ask by phone or email " What's your bottom price? Haven't even seen the boat. Really? This isn't my first rodeo. If you haven't seen the boat my bottom is the asking price. Otherwise they're just going to throw out an offer below my "bottom" and pi$$ me off. The funny thing is, I've told every single person so far that I'm asking 34, the slip is $5g's for the year and if I don't have to commit to the slip for next year I'm negotiable. So I'm basically telling them what my flex is and they're not picking it up......excitement of the moment I guess. Had also included winterization and haul out in the price so give me a cash offer and I just walk away and the price is even better. We'll see what today brings.

• Options
    $5k for your slip?! Wow! 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Online sells suck. Sadly so many online shoppers have a yard sale mentality.  

I usually try to come up with Dr Seuss rhymes to respond to low ball offers.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    YYZRC said:
    $5k for your slip?! Wow! 
     Is that  "Wow good" or "Wow bad"?  That's summer and winter as well as haul out and launch. And it's the least expensive spot on the west side of Simcoe.
    Edit: I should add that we are very lucky that our marina goes by designated size, not measured size. Saves me about $500 a year. Marina right next door I'd be $6500. Your 330 would be minimum $10 G's a year anywhere down here. Proximity to Toronto and limited slip availability. 
    Post edited by Willhound on
  • Options
    I didn’t realize Simcoe is so expensive. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I didn’t realize Simcoe is so expensive. 
    Yeah. Georgian Bay is cheaper. And also better boatng. But we're only an hour from downtown Toronto. Lots of boats here never move. Just floating cottages/party palaces.
    Our next boat if slip kept will be on Georgian Bay. Should be retired in a couple of years and then the drive won't matter. This place is 10 minutes from my house. Gotta pay for convenience.
  • Options
    Yah I know. I chuckle when @J3ff complains about slip fees in the Keys. It's the freaking Keys man!
    Most owners here pay well over the value of the boat after a few years of slip fees.