Options

Bowriders

Comments

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Have any of you guys with bowriders kept on trailers and used during the summer, had your outdrives removed and engine aligned, etc. or do you just change the gear oil and store for the winter??
    Change the oil and store. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Have any of you guys with bowriders kept on trailers and used during the summer, had your outdrives removed and engine aligned, etc. or do you just change the gear oil and store for the winter??
    I have the outdrives removed & realigned & new seal kit annually. Prob overkill.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    The year I bought mine, I pulled the drive, did the Gimbal, and bellows, but didn't need to align engine. 
    Every Spring since, gear & engine oil, all new filters, impeller, and use it. Only ongoing issue is a tiny leak in the drive oil reservoir.  I've replaced it twice, and still get a tiny drip! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Change the fluids, condition the gas and fog the motor for storage. Had alignment checked 5 years ago during a bellows/gimbal replacement. After what I have read on this forum over the last 10 years, the smaller trailer boats are way less problematic keeping them on a trailer when not in use.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I agree Brian. Look at all the money @rasbury, @LaRea, @Dream_Inn, @Black_Diamond, @reneechris14 and even me have spent. I could be a millionaire by now with all that money. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    You'll never hear me complain about the money or work I put into boating.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, my family loves the boat way too much to complain about what it costs.  & quite honestly, I'm a cheap ba$**** anyhow and need to splurge on something once in a while anyhow.  I'm glad I can actually afford the expensive hobby.  Not sure what I'd be doing with all my time on the weekends if I couldn't.
    Post edited by raybo3 on

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its only money, cant take will you. Booze,women,boats,houses,oh and kids.
    Live,love,laugh 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've spent most of my money on wine, women and boats. The rest I just wasted......
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    So it looks like the Rinker 232 is the best model for layout in the Rinker lineup. Searching the same size bowrider in Cobalt, Searay, Hurricane and others they all look the same basically. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to push you, but the 276 models have an awesome layout. Been around since 2008. Maybe look at those? Still trailerable. 
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    I have to stay at 27 nominal length with platform per lake rules. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant wait for Handy to post a question about spark plugs so that I can respond that my diesels dont have spark plugs....... 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I cant wait for Handy to post a question about spark plugs so that I can respond that my diesels dont have spark plugs....... 
    won’t ever happen. I did see a boat manufacturer who offered a new diesel in a bowrider. 
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    The 246 is a nice boat with almost identical layout as the 232, but with a little more room and swim platform is built into the hull. The overall length with platform is 26’ 2”. I also believe they have been around since 2006 and can get as a bow rider or cuddy. 
    Thanks Shawn. I will research those as well. I am not married to Rinker though. 
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    shawnmjr said:
    The 246 is a nice boat with almost identical layout as the 232, but with a little more room and swim platform is built into the hull. The overall length with platform is 26’ 2”. I also believe they have been around since 2006 and can get as a bow rider or cuddy. 
    Thanks Shawn. I will research those as well. I am not married to Rinker though. 
    Depending on the lake a jet boat may be nice too and no outdrive maintenance. They have some pretty cool ones out there now. 
    Searching 246s for sale, there are only 3 in the whole country. If I go Rinker, it has to have a 350Mag and B3. I’m not sure on the Volvo motor and drive yet. Rinker used those too as well as many other Brands. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I bought my 280 I had preferred Mercury however now having owned it for 3 years and getting more familiar with it I would much prefer the Volvo. All of the things I assumed between the two brands were incorrect and the Volvo certainly has its benefits. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    When I bought my 280 I had preferred Mercury however now having owned it for 3 years and getting more familiar with it I would much prefer the Volvo. All of the things I assumed between the two brands were incorrect and the Volvo certainly has its benefits. 
    Do tell 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volvo doesn't have steering pin failures!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Yamaha has no outdrives!!!!
  • Options
    I think the shifting is smoother, parts are not a problem like I thought both cost and availability, sea water pump is really easy to replace and cheap, garden hose connection in engine bay and some have a winterization handle you pull to let out all water. There is probably other things I'm missing. Both great manufacturers so I'm sure someone will give their opinion for Mercury. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Those new Yamaha jet boat center consoles are pretty sweet! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    If you're not married to Rinker on boat choice, Chaparral has many great boats in the size range you're looking for.  I've owned a Chap, and they are great boats!  Features throughout the boat, and usually a good power/weight combination.  Definiely a bit more spendy than the Rinker line......
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @Lake_Bum I had a 20foot Chap with a 305 and that boat was awesome. It would hit 55 mph all day long. Great boat!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    This is a 232 with a 350. Good overview video just to see the boat. 
    https://youtu.be/xqPI6Vm3-FA
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I’d buy that for 17G
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    One thing I wish my boat had is the walk through transom. Some people don't like stepping over the side or crawling over the sun pad. Also, the automatic extinguisher mounted on the underside of the hatch is something I am going to look into.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    The walkthrough transom is nice but you have to be careful going through.  It’s easy to fall in. Lol
  • Options
    I like the 246 Captiva. Admiral wants a pontoon for the kids, dogs, grill area, bathroom etc
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    I like the 246 Captiva. Admiral wants a pontoon for the kids, dogs, grill area, bathroom etc
    Tri toon with a 350 merc. All the room plus the speed!