Options

Bowriders

13»

Comments

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    If range & economy are a factor, a Tritoon will get awful mpg's. A Pontoon even worse. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    Buy a 232 with a big block Bravo 3 drive.  If you want I will swap in a 496 H/O for you. 
    How about a 242? I like the 232 as well. Has to have a porta potty. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    The 342 has a walk-through transom, a nice head and space for a grill.  They even made a few with Yanmar diesels.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    The 342 has a walk-through transom, a nice head and space for a grill.  They even made a few with Yanmar diesels.  
    Really? I need to get one. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    LaRea said:
    Really? I need to get one. 
    Too bad, one just sold! :wink:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    Do you mean a 246? Ya that will work but not as much room as the 232.  Yep true 
    212 Captiva? 226???
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    my 232 has a porta potty, but it is a cuddy.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Mine is a BR and has a porta potty. 
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @matti
    I saw your post about outdrive maintenance:  Outdrives removed & realigned & new seal kit annually.  Do you do this yourself or take it to a boat mechanic?  Could you share the cost of this maintenance?  What about the impeller?  I did not realize outdrives had impellers just like an outboard.  Do you change your impeller every few years? 
  • Options
    rkinross said:
    @matti
    I saw your post about outdrive maintenance:  Outdrives removed & realigned & new seal kit annually.  Do you do this yourself or take it to a boat mechanic?  Could you share the cost of this maintenance?  What about the impeller?  I did not realize outdrives had impellers just like an outboard.  Do you change your impeller every few years? 
    I believe only the Alpha drives have impellers in the lower units
  • Options
    Is remove the drive for winter a climate related thing?  I’ve literally never seen anyone do that here. Some people down here don’t even winterize them at all, but since we do see a few days in the winter with single digit temps, I do winterize mine. 
  • Options
    Is remove the drive for winter a climate related thing?  I’ve literally never seen anyone do that here. Some people down here don’t even winterize them at all, but since we do see a few days in the winter with single digit temps, I do winterize mine. 
    Any water that got in the drive can freeze and do damage. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually leave the the drives on but this was my first season with the boat and will be removing them to inspect and check alignment, plus I think I might have to replace the starboard side U joints. If I drained the drives and saw some moisture they would be pulled for maintenance.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told that the marina where my boat was kept (originally from NY state not too far from @aero3113) removed the drives from every boat and hung them in a storage container for the winter. It was part of their winterizing process, perhaps due to salt water?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    They did that to my boat but I think they just want more money
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    My marina on Long Island pulls the drives as part of winterizing. Over winter they change fluid and pressure test them. Keeps the techs busy during the slow season
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always pulled my drives, its the only ture tell of whats going on. Leaky bellows, upper seal,u joint, shift cable,  test speedo clean the little hole. Nice to know problems in the fall so spring comes your ready to go. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I’ve seen people remove the hoses from the pump to the drives and dump antifreeze down them, but I’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve never once seen anyone here remove a drive for winterization. Weird. 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Alswagg said:
    The 246 has a built in swim platform the 232 has a bolt on platform.   The 246 must be measured bow to the aft including the platform. The 232 is measured from bow to stern Not including the platform.  Interior space of the 232 is larger than the 246.  The engine compartment is smaller on the 232.  

Yeah, but even with that being true, the 246 is 26' overall. What is the 232 with platform?

I've been on both boats quite a bit, and the 246 definitely is not smaller looking or feeling. The built-in platform is a very nice feature, especially if the 232 doesnt have the extended platform. The only thing I dont like about the 246 is lack of a pump out head, but thats in the cuddy version. Maybe the open bow has that option?

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    @shawnmjr. Did you order your boat new with matching trailer?
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    JoeStang said:
    Alswagg said:
    The 246 has a built in swim platform the 232 has a bolt on platform.   The 246 must be measured bow to the aft including the platform. The 232 is measured from bow to stern Not including the platform.  Interior space of the 232 is larger than the 246.  The engine compartment is smaller on the 232.  

Yeah, but even with that being true, the 246 is 26' overall. What is the 232 with platform?

I've been on both boats quite a bit, and the 246 definitely is not smaller looking or feeling. The built-in platform is a very nice feature, especially if the 232 doesnt have the extended platform. The only thing I dont like about the 246 is lack of a pump out head, but thats in the cuddy version. Maybe the open bow has that option?

@JoeStang I have the pump out head on my 246 cuddy. I built my boat so I’m not sure if maybe that is why I was able to get it?  

I havent seen one with that option, so I didnt know it was available. Thats good to know they could be ordered with the pump out option.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I’ve seen people remove the hoses from the pump to the drives and dump antifreeze down them, but I’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve never once seen anyone here remove a drive for winterization. Weird. 
    Mine get removed and stored indoors. I think they do it for 2 reasons. #1 for winterization and #2 security reasons. They are worth a lot of money and pretty easy to steal................... Just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    The interior layout of the 232 has a much more open feel then that of the 246 to me.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Al we don't have inside storage available here but all drives stored inside. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com