Options

Sigh. Oil Leak, BIG ONE.

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check the post on page 2. 
Post edited by J3ff on

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man...did you pi$$ off a voodoo priestess in another life or something?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    no idea. I did the seal between the out drive and bellhousing myself. The drive was in the up position when I got here this morning, I lowered it... then I brought it half way back up when I got to the island to clean it.. what could have snapped by doing that?

Assuming the drive is now toast, because I can't get it out of the water today/tomorrow/Monday - what is this boat worth? The Price of a 3 year old engine?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get it towed up to AL’s shop and let him fix it right
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Granted the salt water isn't good for it but a good flushing and fresh oil and you might be ok. And just because it's losing oil it may not have water. The oil might get pushed out while running. Trying to stay positive.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Posted it for sale on the good old facebook market place, 10k OBO and the buyer has to come get it from the dock. All problems disclosed in ad. Just don't want to support this boat anymore. 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Posted it for sale on the good old facebook market place, 10k OBO and the buyer has to come get it from the dock. All problems disclosed in ad. Just don't want to support this boat anymore. 
    Good for you Jeff. Cut your losses and run
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Good for you Jeff. Cut your losses and run
    I'm going to buy a jetski and be one of those idiots from now on!
  • Options
    Get a 21 center console with outboards
  • Options
    Get a 21 center console with outboards
    I've got access to one of those anytime... this was supposed to be a fun little spot to camp out on..in the keys. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Not that it's going to change my mind, but what could have happened to cause this when raising the drive? How does a hose carrying oil to the drive just pop off? or break? 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10k with trailer?  Im going to share this info with a couple that owns a 20 ft bayliner open bow.  They came out with us last month and fell in love with the cabin cruiser.  He told me to keep a look out for one.  I will pass this on immediately. Got a Facebook link? I don't do zukerburg lizard man social networking but they do and I will send it over to them.

Im sorry to hear you're having issues with it. Seems its left an awful taste in your mouth from the word go. As someone who does my own repairs i can relate to your pain. 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Not that it's going to change my mind, but what could have happened to cause this when raising the drive? How does a hose carrying oil to the drive just pop off? or break? 

Leaking inside the boat? If so a common issue
  • Options
    J3ff said:

Leaking inside the boat? If so a common issue
    Nothing is inside the boat, at first I thought it was, but it was just a tiny bit of water. It's all going outside. At this point I'm sure the drive has salt water in it. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    10k with trailer?  Im going to share this info with a couple that owns a 20 ft bayliner open bow.  They came out with us last month and fell in love with the cabin cruiser.  He told me to keep a look out for one.  I will pass this on immediately. Got a Facebook link? I don't do zukerburg lizard man social networking but they do and I will send it over to them.

Im sorry to hear you're having issues with it. Seems its left an awful taste in your mouth from the word go. As someone who does my own repairs i can relate to your pain. 
    sent you a message. I would think the honest work needed to be done will be motor out, possible hub replacement, fix whatever this leak is, try to save the drive (although a rebuilt one from all american drive isn't that much) and maybe a new transom assembly. I have a trailer but it's too small for anything long distance. 
  • Options
    That sucks. Unless it's flushed near immediately its possible its a total loss.  We had flooding here this spring( fresh water) and i found engines left sit for just a week were beyond repair.  

So its got full coverage insurance?  
  • Options
    Yes, full coverage insurance, agreed upon value of the boat is 15k. However I did not hit anything and there's no sign of that kind of damage. Something broke when lifting the engine. 
  • Options
    I could prob get it into dry storage, but over a holiday weekend here nobody wants to work.
  • Options
    Have as is offer of 7000. Going to let this one go for the weekend and if that's as high as it goes...that'll be it. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had that exact thought. Who knows maybe you did actually hit something. Might be a mark on there. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    An anchor dragging loose and hitting the mangroves can easily pull a line loose.  We've had anchors drag while fishing and snorkeling.  
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Odd you say that. The wind blew me right over the anchor as I was anchoring.. as in the anchor was behind the boat in some degree. I was raising the drive in part because I didn't want the line to get stuck on it.. I am not 100% sure if it did end up caught up or not. It would have been chain touching that stuff. 
  • Options
    Id look into it asap and get a claim started.  
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It'd have to be really crazy for that to happen though...even if the anchor was right under the out drive, it's got 50+ feet of chain on it.. would expect marks on the hull..not to slice up a line back there..  I'll take a look tomorrow, I've left the boat for the day
  • Options
    You're still new to the crazy currents wnd wind in the keys....**** happens
  • Options
    I think it's more likely something popped off while I was raising the drive.. there were no alarms on the way out - a friend said his "barb" came apart while he was scrubbing the drive one time...and somehow the oil stayed in the drive, even though the oil res. was draining. I gave up for the day and headed to the pool for a drink. Gotta stop having these kind of days. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Get rid of it
    First person who hands me 10k gets it. 
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Where's the boat Jeff? Zip code?
  • Options
    First major island you hit when 95 turns into hwy 1!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Ha ha, can't do that. Gotta be honest. Going to take a flashlight and camera down and try to survey the damage on Monday. A good mechanic friend of mine up north had the same exact thing happen to him a couple years ago, he showed me the parts and what to look for. Said that for some reason the oil stayed in the drive and the resi. was leaking out forever.. he took a week and a half to get the boat out of the water and is still running the same drive. I'm sure with my luck the drive is full of water - which at this point makes me wonder if I should just leave it in the spot and use it as a weekend apartment. Who knows. 

Could be a 12 dollar part. At this point I just want to get it out of the water.. it's cheaper to leave it in a storage yard than in the water. The 10k offer still stands, but if no one comes through with that, it'll be time to get it on the trailer and fix from there.