Options

Simple questions

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    When I said “replaced steering rod”, I replaced the tie rod. That’s the long rod that connects both steering arms in the engine bay.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    I would Forest Gump it and just keep running. 
    If you saw my ‘08 330 you would’ve said the same thing. With one winter of myself working on it we had our best boating season ever. COVID made us use it nonstop. But I was dedicated last winter!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    2_foot_i_tis2_foot_i_tis Member Posts: 39
    aero3113 said:

If the gimbal ring is worn, that’s when it becomes an issue. There’s a square hole in the ring that a square part of the pin goes into, once that wears, then the ring and pin need to be replaced. 
    Port side pin

Starboard side pin

Luckily I took alot of video and can take stil shots. The images are not perfect, but help me see/review things.
  • Options
    To see if it’s the tie rod and clevis pins you’ll need to be in the engine compartment while someone moves the drives. You can also try to re-torque the two nuts you see for the U bolts. I forget what the torque is but that can remove some of the play also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I can’t make out what I see here on the starboard side? Is it a shim or just a strange shadow??

2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would run to the hills on this one. You have no idea how much salt water damages the metal down there.. I do. It's not fun. Unless the dude gives you a deal for 20k and you plan on having everything taken out, and all rusty things replaced (3k per transom assembly) I wouldn't touch it. Water in the bilge, especially salt water just ruins everything. 
  • Options
    If your talking about where the gimbal housing meets the fiberglass.. the shiny black area... the port side is like that too.(not shown in above pic) but it looks like it's just shiny like new black paint. I dont know how those areas still look shiny new without out any signs of wear/discoloration like the rest of the bottom paint. And no signs of marine growth! Whatever paint that is or maybe tape was previously covering it at one time? I might want to wrap my next boats entire hull with it!
  • Options
    Now I can see it, looks like fresh bottom paint maybe?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    The outdrive locks are interesting.  Where does he store this thing that he's worried about the drives being stolen?
  • Options
    Dont care what the outside looks like. The inside is what would have me running. Leaking steering pin? Get outta here with that. Move up to straight inboards. These I/O's are terrible. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that for me to move forward id need a phone conversation. At this point you are obviously serious. If he won’t talk to you on the phone, you should pass. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @J3ff , I know you had some issues but you’re starting to sound like @Handymans342 ! LoL!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, wonder why it was on the hard all summer? You’d think with CV19 it would’ve been in the water.
    Something is wrong, seller is in over his head. Boat has got a necessary repair he can’t afford?

Step away without a proper marine survey & be sure there are no loans secured with the boat.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Northern VA?

Live southwest of Richmond, but the boat is currently in Md.
    Would boat out towards Norfolk
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    It would be hard to find a mid 2000’s boat in this size with twin inboards in this price range. @2_foot_i_tis would probably have to spend close to double even triple unless he found a good project.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattie said:
    Also, wonder why it was on the hard all summer? You’d think with CV19 it would’ve been in the water.
    Something is wrong, seller is in over his head. Boat has got a necessary repair he can’t afford?

Step away without a proper marine survey & be sure there are no loans secured with the boat.

I was thinking (if legit) , he was in the process of moving, or maybe covid lockdowns hit him hard financially.
    And I wouldnt be surprised if he did get an offer earlier, and it went to survey, and the other potential buyer walked, or offered a low price... t(to which he said no) and has now dropped to 45k... realizing the boat does need work.
    That would explain why the steering might be disconnected.. if the surveyor or mechanic pointed out the corrosion on the transom and they(or he) were testing things to see how bad things were?

I dont know... I'm doing alot of guessing at excuses. Guess my next step is to decide if I  want to persue with an offer.
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @J3ff , I know you had some issues but you’re starting to sound like @Handymans342 ! LoL!!
    I guess that's what the I/O's do to people? lol Handy even had his on a lift!! 
  • Options
    Do you think if I went in with a low ball offer of 25k, that it should still be contingent of a survey? 
    With steering as it currently is, there's be no sea trial.
    What else could be wrong with it.... that the 20-25k wouldnt fix? 
    Except maybe having compression checks done on the engines.
    Any other big ticket items that I'm not thinking of, that may have failed due to lack of maintenance?
    1 thing I didnt visually inspect was the a/c compressor.
    I did start looking for it, but got distracted before I could find it.

All the similiar aged 342s I see are listed 55k and up, but further away.

• Options
    J3ff said:
     Move up to straight inboards. These I/O's are terrible. 
    I am completely ignorant when it comes to straight inboards. Never having owned one, or around them much, they kinda scare me with my lack of knowledge about them, what to maintain, what to look for, etc.
    Same goes with diesels. I'm not against either of them, they are just outside my comfort zone of basic knowledge. However, if the right boat came along, I would learn.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    edited November 2020
    What you get with sterndrives is speed, fuel efficiency, speed, shallow draft, and speed.  Did I mention speed?  A 342 with 350s and Bravos will cruise comfortably at 30 mph getting 1.2 mpg.  Inboards can't touch those numbers.  

The downside is much higher maintenance costs, due mostly to corrosion prevention and replacing the transom assemblies every ten years or so.  With inboards, the running gear requires almost no maintenance.  
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    My genny  had 8 hours on it when I bought it in 2015 it ran for a year than needed a new impeller and a tune up now it has 185 hours it runs like a champ 
    Post edited by bella-vita on
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    I’m not familiar at all with marine transmissions. Are they expensive? Do they have a good life expectancy with no issues along the way?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I’m not familiar at all with marine transmissions. Are they expensive? Do they have a good life expectancy with no issues along the way?
    Fairly reliable. Need regular oil changes. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the most part Aero they last a long time and have little to no issues as long as you are changing the fluid & filter (which most people here do every 3 seasons) and of course treating it right. If they go replacement is usually much less $ than a drive and they are pretty easily re built by a reputable shop. Sometimes an engine must be moved to get the tranny out, sometimes not. I've heard rebuild can be less than $2k but I dont know for sure, hoping to never have to deal with that. Of course there are no corrosion issues as they are not submerged all summer. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Regarding inboards, I will say with the newer? single lever that operates the throttle and transmission, is much less intimidating, than having the 2 sets of levers.

I am a bit weary of the shaft, I dont know, just seems like it could be easily bent by hitting a jellyfish (obviously an exageration)
    And the arm that holds the shaft...just seems like they are as beefy as an outdrive.

And the shaft seals can sometimes require the engines to come out. (Which I guess is the same for the transom assembly)
    I dont like the thought of pulling engines. (Even on the boat I'm considering)
    Maybe it's a typical day for a mechanic, but not having been thru an engine removal/install I just imagine things can get put back wrong kinda easily....or could look sloppy since it's not from the factory.
    Guess it would depend on finding a trustworthy mechanic with the experience to do the work.

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulling engine's are much easier than a car, a good mechanic can have one out in less than 30 min - 45 min top. There is not that much to un hook. or put back together. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I need to pull my engine but due to my inability to not research anything and everything that is not relevant to me I did look at tool rental companies and you can actually rent a gantry lift for about $140 a day to remove an engine. Seems like 1 day to remove and 1 day to install so less than $300. That's a 12' wide lift though so it may be tight for some. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    My cousin rented a gantry to pull his engine to replace the oil pan. I forget what he paid to rent it but it was very reasonable.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool! 
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current