Options

Simple questions

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is atleast the second time I made a comment and @aero3113 had pictures 🤔. So lets try this again.... Anyone ever see a leprechaun riding a unicorn to the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow....... I'll stand by for aero photos. ⏳
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I actually forgot to post this pic to my sunset thread when I took it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    2_foot_i_tis2_foot_i_tis Member Posts: 39
    On the 342, do you have to remove the engine hatch completely? Or is there enough room to just disconnected the hydraulics ram, and prop the hatch to get the engines out.
    That gantry is awesome. If I had a bigger yard....

• Options
    aero3113 said:

Of course 😆
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    On the 342, do you have to remove the engine hatch completely? Or is there enough room to just disconnected the hydraulics ram, and prop the hatch to get the engines out.
    That gantry is awesome. If I had a bigger yard....

Also, for those of you that replaced your transom assemblies, did you go with the "seacore" version with stainless steel pin, or the regular version?
    Stainless makes sense for its rust resistance... but any concerns for the aluminum corroding from the dissimilar metals?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sea core for sure 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    SeaCore also uses a different alloy of aluminum.  It's an extra $350 each, and worth it if you plan to keep the boat a while.  

No need to remove the engine hatch.  Get a couple of strong helpers, open it all the way and support it with a stack of 4x4 lumber.  Safety first ... tie it open so wind can't blow it closed.  
  • Options

Should this cord or tube be like this? Any idea what it is?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That tube should not be like that.  It is probably jus the speedo tube and came disconnected.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes motors on a 342 can come out with hatch lifted all the way up. I have crane coming Saturday for 300 to pull my motors on a 330se Doral. Took me 4 hours to get ready with v drive.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That tube is the speedo tube. This boat has to much evolved to move forward, he wont give you the tome of day, streering disconnect is wrong. I'm sure this just the beginning of the list of problems. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I thought all the steering pins are stainless now?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I thought all the steering pins are stainless now?
    Same.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=18scs7emF0Q

Mechanic I stop to said it was about a $500 upgrade. (Per unit)
    He was just ball parking me numbers.. maybe on the heavy side..  I guess better to estimate high and come in lower than to say it's more after everything is opened up.
  • Options
    For the transom assembly portion (maybe the cathode system as well..but he was talking about the cathode system  mounted on the transom not on the outdrives.
  • Options
    I was curious how this would turn out, so I cautiously went along, just so I didnt have doubts later,  but it ended up being a craigslist scam.
    Luckily there has been some price dropping on a few other boats in the area. 
    (2) Rinker 342, which I really like the layout of.
    Wellcraft 3300, which is a few feet smaller, but has v-drives... something to think about.
    And a Silverton 351- completely different style of boat, but I also like the layout, also has v-drives... just alot slower and gas guzzler!
    If I end up with the rinker, I'm sure I'll be posting more, if not, thank you all for your posts, knowledge, and opinions.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Sorry to hear that. So did you end up climbing around a boat that was not for sale at all, or just not for sale by that buyer?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    This is why I stopped using Craigslist a long time ago, there is way too many scammers post and no control or accountability. I tried buying a mini refrigerator for $30 once and even that was a scam. Said the refrigerator was sold but he sells stuff like this all the time and he can show me how.... No thanks brosky I'm all set with a real job. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    shawnmjr said:
    Sorry to hear that. So did you end up climbing around a boat that was not for sale at all, or just not for sale by that buyer?
    Could you imagine going to your marina and seeing someone climbing around your boat taking pictures thinking it was for sale. 
    Yea I’d be pretty pi$$ed, especially if I was working on the steering and someone was playing with my wheel 

when it comes to Craig’s I don’t do much without a phone conversation. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If an add on CL does not include a phone number it's a scam. or any other for sale media. Another clue if the phone number is long distance from your location. I just sold my old 2013 Pick-up last week using CL.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Nowadays phone number area codes don't mean much, I have an Arizona phone number but I live in Washington and I'm not a scammer. Just PM me and I can show you my 3 step process to make money legitimately even while you sleep 😂😉

I just think we apps like OfferUp, Craigslist leaves a lot to be desired. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Geez, you guys have me nervous.  I just sold my wife's pickup truck yesterday on craigslist.  I've bought several cars on it too.  Never a problem, but hearing all this stuff gets me a bit nervous about it at times.  He was trying to pay me thru Zelle, which I know is legit but I just have a hard time that it only goes by a phone number.  (I guess I'm getting old!)  I wanted cash, but took a check and have the truck till it goes thru.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I certainly would not say "do not use craigs", you just need to be careful. I've sold cars and bought boat parts on craigs. I've also been doing the "free" section of craigs to give away things as I remodel my basement and bathroom so that things go to people who can use them rather than a landfill. Just be careful. When people come to my house, if they need to come inside the wife and dog stand in the driveway before they even enter the house. I use a separate email than my personal Gmail that is not my name. I try to have some kind of phone conversation to make sure its legit. With the cars I had the buyer meet me at my bank and we deposited the money, then I signed over the title with the bank notary. Just play it safe is all....

• Options
    I’ll look for him on the cruisers site lol!!!

• Options
    I have done well with craigslist for other things. I have a secondary email that I use. You have to be careful about phone numbers now too. Some listings have a phone number listed that they want you to text. 
    Or they send an email reply saying they have been trying to email thru craigslist but cant? so text them back.
    I always just connect thru craigslist email first, a few times, then when I think it's legit then I'll want to exchange phone numbers.
    You also need to search several craigslist areas, to make sure the exact pictures, but different contact phone number, or that the item is shown to be located in a different area.

In regards to this boat, I still dont know if it was his, or just really in denial about the condition his boat is in.
    I told him my concerns about it, then he stated that everything I had mentioned as a concern was serviced and fixed this year. (Really?) (Previously he couldn't name a thing that was done to it.) And that I must have been looking at someone else's boat. I said I doubt there is more than 1 boat at "x" named marina with a rinker 342 named "x". He called me a fool and threatened a civil suit for all the damage that I must have did to it.
    I responded, that yes, I caused 4 years of lack of maintenance in about 45 mins. But he continued to ridicule me, and that I was a fool. (A good selling technique I must say)

So I still dont know if he is just looking for some sucker to buy it blindly, in denial about the condition, or if it wasnt his boat. 
    When I got to the marina, I did check in with the office, and told them what I was doing. The person working didnt know anything about the boat.
    I am respectful of others property in general, (even took my shoes off to go in the cabin). because the "seller" wasnt there, I took video and alot of pictures, so if "the real owner"? showed up (which did cross my mind that a friend of this seller(or the real owner? might) I had video of my actions. But the marina was busy, and it wasnt like I was sneaking around.

• Options
    I’ll look for him on the cruisers site lol!!!
    Lol
  • Options
    @2_foot_i_tis - why not post the name of the boat?
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @2_foot_i_tis - why not post the name of the boat?
    If the seller, or perhaps real owner? is a member of this forum. I dont want to create more drama.
  • Options
    I think it would potentially help another future "buyer".  Also, someone here might know the boat and the owner.