Options

Waste tank sucked in

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at the manual. I have to see if I have that lock. Never noticed it if I do!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    OK, now I understand why I never knew about the lock ... it is missing.  Probably broke off years ago.  Now the question is, am I willing to spend $60 to replace the pedal.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has a button that is flush with the pedal and higher up, not sure if it’s the same function or not. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    I don’t see anything that looks like that on my 2008.
  • Options
    I’m going to look at mine today, it’s a 2008 also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I’m going to look at mine today, it’s a 2008 also.
    Check for a flush button on the cylindrical part of the pedal assembly. It is spring loaded. I briefly pressed it but it didn’t seem to do anything.  
  • Options
    This is all I have

2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    @aero3113.
    Looks like the locking lever must've popped out.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Here’s a pic of the button I was referencing. 

• Options
    I’ll have to check again @YYZRC
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    Just looked at mine again.  Same as @aero3113.
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    It is not really a button but a lever. My 2006 342 FV does not have it. I will continue to hold it open as previous post.

• Options
    GlennyGlenny Member Posts: 22
    Soooo not done yet…… here is a mystery with the sucked in tank. I have added a tank saver, had multiple pump outs and watched as they did it and tank did not suck in at all. Took a long ride this passed week simcoe to Georgian Bay and when I opened up the hatch for the bilge low and behold tank sucked it. Tried with blowers on, vacuflush system off etc…. Here is my theory … this tank was sucked in one too many times from past owners and now is compromised so heat of engine bay is too much. Fresh water tank has been fine. Suggestions? Tank at this point I know will need to be replaced , I want to make sure it does not reoccur. Thanks.

• Options
    kordokordo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that.  I replaced mine a couple years ago.  Nasty job.  I had to cut the elbows to free up the hoses, prying the elbows off the hoses was impossible.  Once the tank is out, getting the remaining pieces of the elbows off the hoses was easy.  Be prepared for lots of pain and suffering, not to mention the stink and possible one week of feeling sick.  Good luck.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you epoxy something along the bottom of the tank to keep it from being pulled in again?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    If you stiffen the new tank too much in some areas it could rupture in another spot - that would be worse than sucked in.  I would think you would be fine with a new tank with the tank saver valve. 

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change it. Had something similar happen on my 270, not quite as bad as yours, but started to notice an odour in the bilge and noticing a blue stain from the deodorizer I was using. Tank had a small split at the outlet, there is a seam on the tank there that would leak when the tank was over 1/3 full. That tank is bound to fail, just a matter of when, like when you're on a weekend trip or something.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Will that come out with the engine still in the boat?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Will that come out with the engine still in the boat?
    Yeah that's the big question. If it can come out easily than just replace it. In my case I would stiffen it as I think I need to remove my engine to do it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    That is bizarre. Not even at pumpout.

Pretty much everything on a boat is a wear item - except the hull. Replace it.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    kordokordo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Mine came out with a lot of struggling and shifting, no need to remove the engine.  I did it by myself.  A good friend would make the job easier.  Your neighbors will hate you due to the smell.  Try to do it when no one is around.
  • Options
    Your friend is a saint!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    On a 342 it has to come out by completely removing the mid berth section. I would rather have that than the tank next to my head while in the engine compartment.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    GlennyGlenny Member Posts: 22
    Going to do the replacement,  searching for a size close to mine otherwise I need to get custom and price goes up. One question if anyone can help is what size is the average tank? Mine is 34Lx16Wx20H comes out to 48 gallons or 183L. If anyone has a good place to get one in the Toronto area please feel free to advise. Thanks again everyone.

• Options
    I think @SimcoeRinker400 replaced a tank, he's in Ontario and hopefully will chime in.
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    For the price, I would get the company that made mine its been working great and is twice as strong as the factory and the inlets and outlets can go anywhere. I also added 10 gallons of extra space in the tank as the 400 only had a 45 gallon.  There are a few places around but I used Mas Precision Plastics in Whitby
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    I had a weird kink in my tank but what happened to my tank (thank god with the engines out) when I was repainting the engine room I moved it and it cracked on the bottom.  What I figured happened was from years of rubbing on the rough fiberglass it actually rubbed thin and me moving it just a little bit caused it to crack.  So when installing the new one I used rubber garage matting under the tank.
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    I'll see if I can find the info on the Dometic I put in. Was a tad shorter but higher and came with the vent and a top discharge that made hooking up easier.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I beleive it was this one: https://www.environmentalmarine.com/hd-tank-30-hrz-basic-840301/
    I just used that website for info, but they are also available in Canada. I got mine through Sandy Cove Marine in Innisfil. Marine Oufitters is also a dealer: https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10036|10688&product=43912463&code=0713814045135

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page on the second link there are measurements and drawings of all the tanks.
    Oddly enough you will have a hard time finding them on the Dometic site (took over Sealand in 2017) but they are still available and actually made in Barrie Ontario.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    kordo said:
    Mine came out with a lot of struggling and shifting, no need to remove the engine.  I did it by myself.  A good friend would make the job easier.  Your neighbors will hate you due to the smell.  Try to do it when no one is around.
    Keep an eye on it and do in the dead of winter. Empty, winterized, less smell.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/