Options

Waste tank sucked in

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenny said:
    Soooo not done yet…… here is a mystery with the sucked in tank. I have added a tank saver, had multiple pump outs and watched as they did it and tank did not suck in at all. Took a long ride this passed week simcoe to Georgian Bay and when I opened up the hatch for the bilge low and behold tank sucked it. Tried with blowers on, vacuflush system off etc…. Here is my theory … this tank was sucked in one too many times from past owners and now is compromised so heat of engine bay is too much. Fresh water tank has been fine. Suggestions? Tank at this point I know will need to be replaced , I want to make sure it does not reoccur. Thanks.

You willing to get your hands dirty?

You could put a plastic rod/bar inside that tank on the bottom ... to keep it open. It would have to be glued in ... maybe epoxy or even silicon. 

As long as it's not cracked already, or the pump out isn't too hectic ... I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MarkB I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be put in above the bottom of the tank so nothing can get stuck on it. Maybe 3 inches above the bottom. It still might work having it 3 inches above the bottom.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on how long he plans to keep the boat. If more than a season I would just replace now. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Just remove the tank and run the waste line to the bilge. Let the bilge pump take care of it 🤣💩
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @MarkB I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be put in above the bottom of the tank so nothing can get stuck on it. Maybe 3 inches above the bottom. It still might work having it 3 inches above the bottom.
    Yeah, I'd glue it right to the bottom, but imagine another two pieces. One on each end of that "stick" on the bottom. Those could be say 4" high x 24" long, pressed against the sides of the tank. Then put the stick in to wedge those in place ... may 3 sticks to distribute along the full 24" length.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the time you lift the tank and go through all that work you could just change the tank and never worry about again. Just sayin'.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    I agree willhound and my old tank cracked so easily when I moved it.
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭

I switched mine out in my 270 in less than an hour. very easy job

• Options
    Willhound said:
    By the time you lift the tank and go through all that work you could just change the tank and never worry about again. Just sayin'.
    I'm sure you're right ... but there's this level of satisfaction that you achieve when you can fix something like McGuiver. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @skuter99 - really?  No issues with space getting it in and out?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    my 270 with 350 mag was easy. all I had to do was move the 2 batteries out of the way.
  • Options
    Today I went to get a pump out since boat comes out tomorrow. Nobody around! So I did it myself. Since I had all the time in the world, I watched as my waste tank got sucked into a pretzel shape even with the big orange filter disconnected. Will add a tank saver over the winter. 
  • Options
    Hey you should get a tank made if its that thin-walled tank from the factory.  My new tank has been awesome also it's super strong.   Getting mine ready this week for next week coming out.  I am one of the last in my marina!  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    Tank isn’t cracked/leaking so I will waste the money on something else I don’t really need!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Today I went to get a pump out since boat comes out tomorrow. Nobody around! So I did it myself. Since I had all the time in the world, I watched as my waste tank got sucked into a pretzel shape even with the big orange filter disconnected. Will add a tank saver over the winter. 
    @YYZRC
    Have you double checked your waste tank vent line? Is it plugged at the waste tank .....before the Big Orange????
    That is weird.

Imagine once the tank collapses it will continue to do so.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    kordokordo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    I ask the pump out person to set the suction at half strength and watch the tank just in case.  Plus I have the tank saver so no problems with the replacement tank that I installed a couple years ago.  Agree that once the tank collapses, the walls will be weaker and continue to collapse unless monitored carefully.    
  • Options
    mattie said:
    @YYZRC
    Have you double checked your waste tank vent line? Is it plugged at the waste tank .....before the Big Orange????
    That is weird.

Imagine once the tank collapses it will continue to do so.

Yep the vent line is fine, I disconnected it before the Big Orange and it just can’t get air in fast enough. The tank is just old (original) and not strong enough. My 330 did the same thing. 

I may pull it out today and see if I can add a bar inside. I believe it is still holding poo tho, thankfully. 
  • Options
    Leaking at the fitting, evidently for a long time. Gonna replace. 

Pro tip - if you remove the waste tank right after you drain the antifreeze out of your engines, you don’t smell the $hit!

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Man i wish mine was as easy to get to.  I had to remove the entire aft berth.  This spring when i was changing the charcoal in the Big O filter it was full of water.  It started to make me a little nervous it wasnt going to do its job.  When you all are getting the pump out dont you have someone flushing the head every couple of minutes?  Other than helping to flush out the good stuff i have to think it will help keep a tank from collapsing.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    If it's a Vacuflush toilet hold or lock open the clamshell as discussed earlier in this thread.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Grahamu said:
    If it's a Vacuflush toilet hold or lock open the clamshell as discussed earlier in this thread.
    I did this for the first time a couple weeks ago, it made no difference.  Remember you have duck Bill's that don't allow blowback.  Well, they don't allow air either.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The manual says to hold the the flush valve open when pumping out. Not necessary if you have a tank saver valve. But like @Dream_Inn said, with the duckbills, it probably doesn’t make a difference if you hold it open and don’t have the tank saver valve.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    All the duckbills face one way. This allows waste and air, with the clamshell open, to flow from the toilet to the pump which in turn expels it to the waste tank. If the tank is under vacuum during pump out and you have a restricted vent and no tank saver valve holding open the clamshell will allow air to flow into the tank. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Yes @Grahamu !! I had them pictured the opposite way in my head for some reason. Nothing would work then!  LoL
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    For the price, I would get the company that made mine its been working great and is twice as strong as the factory and the inlets and outlets can go anywhere. I also added 10 gallons of extra space in the tank as the 400 only had a 45 gallon.  There are a few places around but I used Mas Precision Plastics in Whitby
    You still happy with your waste tank  @SimcoeRinker400 ? I am about to order one from MAS.

Thanks!
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Always prop open the toilet valve the vent line (1/2")will not supply enough air into tank to keep it from collapsing while being pumped out with an 1 1/2" pump hose.

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what all the fuss is over,   just stick your hand in the tank and pop the side back out after every pump.  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    I've also heard of people adding a second, larger diameter vent hose.   Not only does it aid in preventing a collapse but also helps with the smell.  If you use bacteria based treatments rather than the blue RV stuff, many times its the lack of oxygen that leads to it not working like it's supposed to.   The bacteria need oxygen to get the stink and without the oxygen they can't multiply so you're left with the previously mentioned stink.   The idea is more air you can supply the better.  

If any of you haven't read the head mistress book on....well ...heads ...it's a must for any new boat owner or those of us who can't quite get our cabins to smell right.

For those of you raw water flushing with brackish or salt water, there's no hope for you!!!!

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    For the price, I would get the company that made mine its been working great and is twice as strong as the factory and the inlets and outlets can go anywhere. I also added 10 gallons of extra space in the tank as the 400 only had a 45 gallon.  There are a few places around but I used Mas Precision Plastics in Whitby
    You still happy with your waste tank  @SimcoeRinker400 ? I am about to order one from MAS.

Thanks!
    Hey YYZRC,

The tank has been great.....  the extra 10 gallons is nice to have. 

Cheers, 
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer