Options

Jobs to consider if you remove your engine(s)

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod

If your express cruiser has more than 10 seasons of use, and you need to remove the engines for some reason, here's a list of jobs you might consider while the engines are out.

[EDIT:  This is not a must-do list.  Many of these suggestions might be a complete waste of time and money depending on the boat and owner.  Only an idiot would do everything on this list.  :) 

This post consolidates two long build threads by me and @grahamu, along with dozens of helpful comments from other forum members:

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/11948/transom-assemblies-and-engine-room-makeover
https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/12130/removing-drives-engines-and-transom-assemblies

Obviously, check the transom assemblies for leaks.  This forum has seen plenty of transoms that started leaking after 8-10 years, or even sooner.  Leaks can cause major damage, and can lead to critical safety hazards.  

Any job in the engine room is easier with the engines out.  That's why some people take the chance to make upgrades or do preventative maintenance.  Some boats only need a deep cleaning.  I chose to do a total renovation over the winter, complete with rearranging equipment and rewiring almost everything. 

One highly satisfying upgrade is painting the bilge.  It's not expensive, it looks great, and it makes the bilge easier to clean.  I used white BilgeKote. 

Another upgrade that several people liked is engine room lighting.  If you have gas engines, you'll need ignition-protected lights.  See the threads above for details. 

Tame your battery cables!  Trace each cable so you know exactly where it goes.  Label them, and make sure they are attached to the correct batteries.  Sort out that rats-nest of wires and cables clustered around your batteries.  If your battery cables are too long, cut them to the right length and attach new ring terminals.     

I decided to relocate my water tank, water heater and batteries.  Originally, the batteries were in the far back corner, so maintenance was difficult.  Now all batteries are forward where I can reach them easily. 

I ended up rewiring the entire engine room.  Almost every cable was removed and then rerouted and/or replaced.  For example, the original battery cables were lying in the bilge, which interfered with cleaning the bilge.  Now they are secured along the transom where they should be. 

Listed below are some other jobs you might consider.  Some are preventative maintenance, some are cosmetic, and some are meant to simplify future repair work.  It will never be easier than when the engines are out. 

Engine room: 
Replace water heater
Replace house and starter batteries
Replace insulation on bulkhead and hatch cover
Replace inline fuses with circuit breaker panel or fuse block
Replace and reroute freshwater pipes
Remove any obsolete wiring from past upgrades
Replace access step with two folding steps
Repaint fire extinguisher and hatch lift motor
Install a vessel documentation placard
Re-bed transom fittings to cure rainwater leaks
Replace bilge pump and float switch
Replace blower hoses

Engines:
Touch-up paint on block and accessory brackets (I used POR gloss black)
Replace starter motors and alternators
Replace exhaust lower elbows, risers and manifolds (if corroded)
Replace exhaust lower and upper hoses and hose clamps (to prevent leaks)
Replace exhaust shutters
Replace raw water drain hoses (chafing damage)
Replace thermostats
Replace heat exchanger end gaskets
Replace heat exchanger bottom gaskets
Replace coolant

Generator:
Paint enclosure panels
Replace anode
Replace spark plugs
Replace coolant

Useful supplies that I purchased for this job:

Disposable towels (box of 300)
High-quality wire stripper and terminal crimper
Hydraulic crimper for battery cables
Assortment packs of:
   - Heat-shrink crimp-on wire terminals
   - Stainless steel screws
   - Rubber-lined cable clamps
   - Battery cable ring terminals
Engine stands
Canvas "portable garage" to store engines during renovation

These jobs will never be easier than when the engines are out!

Post edited by LaRea on

Comments

• Options
    Squatch68Squatch68 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Excellent post, thank you for sharing.  Definitely a few things on there I hadn't thought of yet while repairing my transom with the engine out. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @LaRea nice list but IMO some are overkill. Why would you replace fuses with breakers? Breakers malfunction all the time where as fuses would protect your boat MUCH better from faults. Personally I would rather have fuses at my house instead of breakers. I have seen breakers burn and melt in a panel. Fuses (provided they are not tampered with) protect much better, fact. There are a couple other but that would come down to personal preference. But most are spot on, again just my 2 cents.. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @raybo3 Totally agree!  Some are overkill for sure!  

I mean, did I really NEED to rewire the entire ER?  No.  Did I really NEED to relocate the batteries?  No.  I enjoyed doing all of this stuff, and it made my boat more reliable.  The jury is still out on whether it was cost-effective.  All I'm saying is, these are jobs to consider.  

Fuses v. breakers -- I'm not saying breakers are better, and maybe you're right that fuses are safer.  I used breakers as a way to tame the wiring mess.  Maybe I could have achieved the same results with a fuse block instead of a breaker panel.  

The real point is to get rid of inline fuses.  I edited the list to say:  replace inline fuses with circuit breaker panel or fuse block.  Thanks @raybo3

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea great list of possible jobs while the drive train is removed. I dealt with issues that were apparent and showed up after removal. So far my season has been trouble free after 80 hours other than a very minor oil leak from the crankshaft front seal which I am dealing with now. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well written, and thought out. Maybe add. 
    Change oils in Genny and engine. Impeller in Genny. If blower is starting to squeal, replace. grease all fitting's ,  some have them on steering. Replace belt. Serpentine belts are built to last—much longer than before because of advancements in rubber technology. But I would replace at 10 years.
    It all boils down to if you take care of your boat your boat will take care of you. It is of high maintenance. Most think if you own a boat, ya just hop in and go. Hahaha 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    Inspect/ replace oil pan and I would add replace/ upgrade bilge pump.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inspect/ replace oil pan and I would add replace/ upgrade bilge pump.
    I'm curious about the oil pan? what's up with it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Somebody had an oilpan rust through and dump oil ... @aero3113?  Definitely inspect.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it happened to me on my old 242. I had it replaced and it happened again to the person who bought it from me. New pan was in maybe 5 years old. We felt so bad when the new owner told us, happened his first season. He lost all the oil and seized the engine. I never would’ve thought that would’ve happened so quickly. The 242 engine sits extremely low in the bilge. I inspect my pans regularly on my 330, they sit much higher. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Use por on your oil pan, not much of a issue in fresh water but in salt air it will keep it from rusting.   Nothing gets thru por. 

Any screw that gets installed into anything wood cored in your bilge, seal it with 4200 and epoxy or 5200 over any old unused holes.  Wood cores soak water like a sponge. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @LaRea I was playing devils advocate with you....lol I agree there is a lot of "stuff" to do with the engines out. Pumps, hoses, wiring ect..... I would not replace the water heater because the engines are out as on my 342 its real east to get to and I replaced mine a while ago and only took about an hour. I would say its a must to replace the DCV negative block on the back wall of the engine room. Mine is all corroded and I cant really get to it..... Great list bro!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com