Options

Kohler Genny

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
I hate my genny........ Freaking thing never wants to run. Why are they so sensitive??????? Why does it take so little for them not to run. I guess I am just venting.................Sorry.....
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must have a 5e? lol. Vexing little buggers that should be straight forward.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I have a 5E and its a pain in the a$$. Works great when its running.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    From all my readings it seems like all of these smaller gasoline marine gens are very finicky. It almost seems like they put together a package to fill a need but never put much thought into reliability and function. With names like kholer and Onan you would think you would be receiving nothing but the best
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    Seems like mine is haunted lol. Always chasing something yet never 'the fix'. Kawasaki makes these engines, normally a top of the line engine, but a lemon in this application.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    If mine does not start on the third attempt I know it is never going to run until it gets some TLC from my marine service shop. :(( Tony Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these things under load at start-up?
  • Options

In my case it is always by the book.  No load at start up etc.  Also I run it periodically for about 5 minutes.  Progressively turning on the stove and air conditioner to load it in the process.  This maintenance activity is more sporadic than it should be.  Today would be a good day, wouldn't it.   ;))

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I have the kohler 7.x. The best luck I've had starting from cold is three very short cranks, then a 6-7 second one, then it will usually start on another long one. If it is still somewhat warm from a previous run, it is very hard to start. Anyone else have a start sequence the works well for them?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    I bet a dollar you guys have choke issues... Prove it with some starter fluid, and/or manually set the choke..
  • Options

Today was the day.  After a nice hour and a half ride out to the Skyway Bridge and back, got the engines flushed so the next chore was to exercise the generator.  Started up on try number 3.  Awesome!  This was the first time I ran it in its new environment.  It is now mounted on several squares of dry deck.  It would have been my luck that this could have created a resonance induced vibration.  But not so.  It ran just fine and was very happy.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Well, I have to say my 5E on my 310 never really gave me issues.  Only once I had an issue with an air lock because I suck in a jelly fish and the overflow hose for the coolant wasn't too the bottom of the tank.  So it sucked air back in.  I had always changed oil, plugs, and impeller each year which seems to cause most problems.  Now, with my 7.3, I had some issues last year due to a valve being too tight causing one cylinder to not have any compression - something I need to keep an eye on.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited August 2013

I guess I had a generator issue a few months back.  Lesson learned--do not tie the kayak to the side to the side of the boat with the generator exhaust.  And if you do that, do not run the generator.  I violated both rules and I found a kayak full of water we had to pump out.  Laugh, yes.  It sure was funny.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

Post edited by TonyWalker on
  • Options
    trich11trich11 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    In my experience most generator issues stem from two things. Poor maintenance and NOT using them very often. We run ours on most every trip out whether we need it or not. Most have a one barrel carb and they will varnish if not used. Also, even a quarter ounce low on oil will stop it from running.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Mine always starts. Just a matter of how long it runs. :(( I've never had it last longer than maybe 2 hours, then it shuts down and no go after that.  Been that way since day one. Sometimes runs even less time. I do the plugs/impeller every year.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, that is not a good thing.  Do you get an alarm code when it shuts down?  actually, asking that you probably don't unless yo have the digital display (remembering my 5E on the 310, not a 5ECD).  I'd be very curious and have to dig into it if it wouldn't go longer than 2 hours.  Does it vary depending on load?  Will it start right back up and run, or do you have to wait a while?

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    There are some good articles on the 'net about generators and the proper sizing (load), etc. I generally run mine about 30 minutes each month - lack of use is a killer for marine gas generators and when they are run, underloading them them is the second most common issue. I start mine with no load, run for at least 5 minutes to ensure it's at normal operating temperature, then sequence on the A/C, stove (place 2 pots of water and max the burner temps to boil the water, then boil water in the microwave, turn on the 110v TV's, let the generator run about 15 minutes fully loaded then shut down loads and let it run for a few minutes with no load then shutdown. Sounds like a hassle but I'm going on 6 seasons with no generator issues at all - except a water pump impeller. Knock on wood!
  • Options

@Dream_Inn: I do not have a display with error codes, so it is like hunting blind, it has been this way since day one when it was new.  I bet Kohler had a few thousand dollars into warranty repairs, of which none worked.  It does not matter the load, usually once it shuts off it will crank and start for a second or two then shut off again.  I keep wondering if it is overheating, but I get plenty of water coming through the exhaust (no steam).  Strainer is clean.  Plugs are new.  It's almost like it runs out of fuel..I thought I had that problem licked when I hard wired the fuel pump (bad connector).

I'm going to order a rebuild kit for the electric choke, replace the fuel solonoid as another attempt.  Might try to rig a temperature sensor.  Maybe even just replace the over temp sensor for the heck of it.

I did run across a thread where if the ground is not attached to the ground lug on the engine, you can get voltage issues to the electric choke.  I guess some have the ground to other locations.  I'm pretty good with engines but this one has me scratching my head.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I have the 5ECD and it runs pretty good. The fuel injected ones work a lot better than the carb ones. The only issue I had with mine was low fuel pressure... I bought a new fuel pump from Parts Express and now it starts fine. The new ones use a momentary switch...press it once and the generator goes through it's own start up. No need to hold the switch down to activate the starter. Great for the wife since she can work it without me there..
  • Options
    That's funny you mention that Ron because when we went from the 5E to the 7.3ECD, I held the button and wondered what was going on, and I let off and it started.  It has a delay before it starts.  I also had to get used to not hitting the bottom of the button, but the top again momentarily for shut off.  It does work well, just a change to get used to.  (took a while after 7 years with the other)

• Options
    I found this tidbit for clearing out impeller pieces:

1. Remove the zinc anode that's located in the heat exchanger.
    2. Remove outbound coolant hose going to vented loop at vented loop.
    3. Attach water hose using homemade adapter to coolant hose removed in step 2. Be certain to connect to correct coolant hose segment as using the wrong one can result in water ingestion into the cylinders.
    4. Turn on water while you try to "catch" everything coming out of the hole in the exchanger created by performing step 1.
    5. Change clothes as step 4 provides free shower.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    So on my mission here. New plugs, impeller, oil/filter, carb solenoid. Waiting on the electric choke kit still. Changing the coolant - what a PITA / mess! Prob going to replace the thermostat and the over temp switch too. Anyone know if the 5e uses the 195 or 160f thermostat (parts list shows both)?  Turns out it is a 180F rating after looking up for a cross-reference.

Does anyone really change the coolant avery 6 months as recommended?  Seems like way over kill.
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    As it turns out I think I screwed up my genny. Last year I had the remaining fuel in my boat pumped out. I was real low and did not treat it. However I think what happened is the old fuel in the carb caused my carb to varnish and thus had to have a carb rebuild. I should have drained all the old gas out of the genny for winter storage. My bad I had my service center fix it and now it runs like a top.....
  • Options
    have any of you guys considered converting to natural gas or propane? I just looked at kits for either carb'd or FI, and they aren't that expensive.. in the < $400 range..

propane or NG burns mucho safer than gasoline, with very little CM.. it would be safer to use.. it also burns cleaner for the engine, doesn't stale, and doesn't gum- the engine would last a lot longer... it would be an effort to pull out and convert, but it would work better and last longer, and be a ton safer..
  • Options
    Drew, I would think the effort to have another tank, and keeping it full, would just be too much.  A 15lb tank would last about 6 hrs at half load on a 5E.  A lot of people would go thru that in a day.  I would think you'd need a 50lb tank or so, which is too large to be portable to fill & there is no fill up along the water.

• Options
    I figured as much, but I also figure that could be sidestepped to a degree.. I've no real world experience with either fuel (lp or ng), but what I've read indicates it is similar in usage to gasoline- a 15# bottle would last near the same as 5ga of gasoline.. how long do your gens run on average?

yeah, running lines to the engine compartment where a bottle bracket could be fashioned would be a pain, and filling them would, too.. I would guess most your marina's have that blue rhino exchange cage, no?

it's just a thought, for what it's worth.. the reason I bring it up is after reading BD's five hours in the hold with his over labor day weekend- one thing indisputable about LP or NG: engines that run them last a LOT longer and are easier to maintain..
  • Options
    Propane does burn a lot cleaner for sure and eliminate the carb issues, but propane on a boat is a whole different animal, ask the blow-boaters.  Special fittings, gas detectors, closed compartments with venting etc.  I'll pound through this problem, not much more to replace on the engine once I'm done with this project. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Worth the thought drew, but real -life application just not feasible.  I've never seen rhino exchange at any marinas, not sure why they would have them?  The only propane I use at the boat is the small bottles with the grill.  I will say I've seen a few of the LP outboards on my dock and they work nicely (not to get off topic).

• Options
    i don't know whether to like or lol your post, BD... but if it turns out a lol, I'm laughing with you, not at you... :-D

LP is safe- it's actually a non-greenhouse, and the additive smells enough that you'd discover it pretty quick..

but, I dunno if it's worth the effort or having to built strategy and logistics for..
  • Options
    @Drew, if you have LP on board in a tank (more than a grill bottle) it is suppose to have a vent at the bottom of the 'sealed' area where the LP tank sits, so if you get a leak it goes overboard.  They also have failsafe type electric valves for the on-off, or at least the sailboats I know do.  You are right about the smell additive, but LP sinks to the low areas and builds so unless you have a sniffer on board, by the time you smell it, you are in trouble...much like gasoline.  I'm sure it could be done, but where to store a large LP tank is another story as being bounced around and getting hot is bad for them.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Wow... Didn't even pause for a second to think about the regulations of such, but yeah, that kinda impacts the best made plans of mice and men, huh? :-)