Star Brite or 303 Waterproofing

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone used both? Is one better than the other? I’ve only used Star Brite and feel it doesn’t bead like it should and doesn’t last as long as it should.
2008 330EC

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Only ever used 303.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    I have used both. Starbrite is cheaper and covers more area , as I remember their bottle was bigger. I had some shrinkage after using it but then I should have immediately installed my top. I made the mistake of installing the top after it was dry. Since then I have always used 303 and never had any issues. 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With apologies since your question was have we tried both, and I have not. But 303 always worked well for me. Despite the higher cost it seems to last well so worth it. Be aware there are different versions, one for tops/"canvas" and one for vinyl/upholstery and the printing on the label is small. Ask me how I know 😒
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I've always used 303 and have been very impressed with it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    I have not used starbrite but have used West Marine brand (which I think is just a rebrand of starbrite) and the 303 blows it away in beading and durability
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only ever used 303 ... works like a charm.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used both. 303 seems to work better and last longer. I purchased the gallon size and spray it with a pump up sprayer. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I'm here to ask a stupid followup question: What does this stuff "waterproof?" Like, what do you spray it on? I'm still a greenie with 1 year under my belt and have much to learn still.
    Post edited by echandler1971 on
    Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    I always buy 1 big jug & 1 spray bottle of Starbrite Waterproofer at the end of season when the marina store has everything 25% off.
    That's enough to do everything.

Works fine for me. 303 is prob better(?) It seems a lot less caustic than the Starbrite stuff.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm here to ask a stupid followup question: What does this stuff "waterproof?" I'm still a greenie with 1 year under my belt and have much to learn still.
    Your bimini top. Helps keep water out and keeps the top clean.
    2008 330EC
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm here to ask a stupid followup question: What does this stuff "waterproof?" Like, what do you spray it on? I'm still a greenie with 1 year under my belt and have much to learn still.

The canvas ... you should treat the bimini canvas at least once a year ... in sun scorched areas, maybe twice per year. It protects the fabric ... and it also seals the material so no water leaks through.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Like Aero said and your cockpit cover if you have one. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    i have used both and to be honest i cant say i have noticed a difference.  The cost difference is negligible when you consider you only use it once or twice a year.  I spray the cushions on my deck furniture with it as well.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I'm here to ask a stupid followup question: What does this stuff "waterproof?" I'm still a greenie with 1 year under my belt and have much to learn still.
    Your bimini top. Helps keep water out and keeps the top clean.

Ok. That's good. I'll get some of that as I do have such as seen in my profile pic. Thanks all
    Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
    I have used both. 303 seems to work better and last longer. I purchased the gallon size and spray it with a pump up sprayer. 
    I use a foam paint roller and do when fitted after launch on a still sunny day.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @echandler1971 definitely not a dumb question.  I remember the first time I cleaned my canvas.  It was right before we took the boat out for a 10 day trip. I was so proud how clean it was.  We were out on the trip, 2nd day in.  A good storm approached and we just made it back to the boat in time...to get soak and wet under the canvas.  We had so much stuff under that canvas, as I said 1p days of stuff.  We has set everything out on the dock. Luckily there was a nearby west marine.  Lesson learned, always use water repellent after cleaning canvas. For years I extended the life of that canvas using 303.  You could see the sun thru the thin top, but it still repelled water.👍

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I’m going to try 303 this season. Curious if I will notice a difference.
    2008 330EC
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've only used Starbrite, but next time I need to buy I'll get 303. I usually do mine in the basement right before the start of the season and it smells really strong. if the 303 works better AND is less of a PITA to deal with, thats an easy win for a little more $. A gallon lasts a LONG time if you put on multiple thin coats.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note of caution for doing touchups while the canvas is on the boat:  overspray on fiberglass nonskid will make it as slippery as ice.  I did that, and took a nasty fall.  Never again.  
    LaRea said:
    Note of caution for doing touchups while the canvas is on the boat:  overspray on fiberglass nonskid will make it as slippery as ice.  I did that, and took a nasty fall.  Never again.  
    Yea, I try not to apply when the canvas is on the boat. 
    2008 330EC
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    @echandler1971
    I bought some huge vinyl tarps & lay them out on our driveway.
    Scrub the canvas with warm water & Simple Green. Rinse it all - let it dry.
    Foam roller & 4" paint brush (for edges/zippers) to apply waterproofer.

As LaRea said - stuff is like greased lighting on your shoes till it dries.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    LaRea said:
    And why the roller method is better. More control of application and no overspray.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I found it better to do it in the driveway as well, on the boat is too hard with wind and overspray.

I've never rolled it on, wouldnt that create a good amount of wasted product? IIRC multiple, thin coats do a better job than one thick coat, right?
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of the roller for the areas near the strataglass however i really like my little hand sprayer.  No waste and it does a nice job covering.  I do mine on the driveway also.  To be honest it would take me forever to roll on the material.  I swear my canvas takes up my entire driveway when i do it.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Problem I found doing on drive is it soaked through or was drawn through onto blacktop.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Ian said:
    Problem I found doing on drive is it soaked through or was drawn through onto blacktop.
    My bimini canvas has a rubberized backing. Curious if anyone else’s has that? I’m pretty sure it’s original canvas. I still like to use the waterproofer to prevent staining and keep it clean.
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s called seamark aero. Sunbrella on one side and a vinyl plastisol coating on the bottom side. Good because it makes the top very waterproof, but that vinyl does crack and decay faster than sunbrella alone so a shorter lifespan. My 342 came with it but it was cracking (10 yrs old) so I replaced with sunbrella only. Ameritex offered both for 342 tops. 

I just got brand new canvas on my cruisers with an extension off the hardtop and seamark is what the custom shop used for the top to make it as waterproof as possible. Fine with me. Good product, expensive. Believe there are ways to condition the vinyl to last longer but have not researched yet. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Thanks @Liberty44140
    Luckily mine is still holding up. I think when the time comes to have a new one made, I would use the same.
    2008 330EC
    aero3113 said:
    Ian said:
    My bimini canvas has a rubberized backing. Curious if anyone else’s has that? I’m pretty sure it’s original canvas. I still like to use the waterproofer to prevent staining and keep it clean.
    I have that on my 280. It is still holding up, for now. If Ameritex doesn’t open this year, I will be going somewhere local to get new tops. I find it hard to believe that they are that backed up, but I could be wrong. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    You really should go local @Cableguy Greg - while Ameritex pricing is fair, you're f'd if the canvas doesn't fit perfectly and you'll end up at a local shop like I did.

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/11405/ameritex-lack-of-customer-service

I got really lucky last fall and found a guy at my marina with a 2019 370EX.  I borrowed his canvas over the winter and had a local canvas guy copy it.  Ended up being cheaper than Ameritex would have been and I was able to select any color I wanted (Ameritex only allows you to choose the colors Rinker offered).
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay