Options

Started then died...

13»

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Grab a known to be good spark plug and pull each plug wire off and check for spark. This sounds like a coil/cap/rotor issue now. Do you still have the old cap/rotor?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    I would try to use an alternate fuel source that you know is good like a red gas can from your lawnmower. Clean the rails again and connect the gas can to the cool fuel pump and see if it goes. Gotta start the process by eliminating potential problems. If your main take had that much water I would take that out of the equation 1st and go from there.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh...I was cranking, heard like an electrical crackle (?) I thought was in the starter..like it lost connection. Couple more cranks and everything is DEAD! Turn the key and nothing comes on. I checked the relay under the breather cover. I did just replace the two selonoids on the trim...will have to find how to test that selonoid. I putcmy hand on the starter figuring it would be hot, it's cool as a cucumber. 
  • Options
    Check the breaker at the top of the engine. 
  • Options
    Yep, that was the relay up under the breather cover...how do I check that selonoid?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jump it with a screwdriver 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I recall two posts with rubber boots- pull those off and cross those terminals? I'll do a little digging...
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    You should have a 90 amp fuse on the starter, if the relay is reset and still no power you probably have a bad fuse at the main incoming power at the starter solenoid
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Well @earl1z19 I had some success but not resolved.  I just went out to see if I could jump the selonoid...but figured I hit the key. When I turned the key everything powered up as normal and when I hit the starter it briskly turned over and it started, ran ruff a little smoothed out. There was no water coming out however and expected to hear the water pump impeller growling but did not. It died shortly after. All the electric went dead again. I tried to jump the selonoid got nothing...power was trying to come back up, things were making noises on and off...jumped the selonoid again and it started to turn over....so does power start at the starter and then go to this selonoid? Do I have one that is failing? Does not sound like any starter issues ?
  • Options
    Bad battery or alternator?
  • Options
    Batteries are new and on the charger, turns over briskly- then everything dies and then comes back on...starter motor is not overheating ...
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that solenoid is just what is suggests- it throws a gate and allows power past, and that gate is the main power.. 

speaking of the engine power alone- not peripheral items- the power leaves the battery and goes to the starter and is linked to the starter with a 90a fuse... if that fuse blows, no other fuse or connection matters as the power source has now been isolated.   the starter solenoid simply sends signal to the starter to allow the power to pass through... from there to the engine and harness... 

did you check your dead man switch and the shift interrupt as i suggested? 
  • Options
    to add: that 90a fuse rarely blows... i see it at the beginning of season on a tired starter that's sat up all winter and needs to be broken free, hence the demand for more than 90a, and on starters that keep being spun on an engine that won't start after they get really hot and demand more amperage... your start battery is capable of slapping a lot of amps past in a hurry... most can allow amps in the 900a range past for short durations... heating that wire, which happens shoving that kind of amps through it, increases it's resistance and increases the likelihood of blowing that big fuse... the 50a breaker on the engine is downwind of the starter.  

the solenoid are mechanical... they have a spring loaded gate that applying electricity to it either breaks free a magnetic open position by providing greater magnetic draw to close it, or enough magnetic draw to overcome the springs tension... point being, mechanical breaks far more often than solid state, but there are no solid state solenoids suitable for that use that i know of... if your solenoids are getting tired (and they rarely just up and fail, they usually have a long swan song) it may be time to swap them for new, or allow more time between attempts to start the engine... let things cool off. 
  • Options
    Hey @212rowboat I did verify the dead man switch is in the correct position. Shift interrupt I did not know how to.
    It did start per the above but the electrics did shut down, could not jump it and things just come back on. Try a new selonoid in order?

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 534 ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like a loose connection. I would start with cleaning battery terminals and check if the cables on the battery switch have come loose
  • Options
    Pats on it.  Something isn't seated. 

The shift interrupt is on throttle linkage atop engine... there is a plastic piece with a button on it... as the linkage shifts (as one, as in throttle isn't separated from gear shift at the helm) during the sweep it momentarily depresses that button.  That literally and just briefly kills the engine so it falls into gear without grinding... those buttons can get grime on them and not want to release.  And when that happens, no engine runny... you can exercise it by hand after cleaning it up and most likely restore its function. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has to be a YouTube video on using an multi meter to check the interrupt switch function.   You don't need to have it running to test that it's only killing power while shifting.   

• Options
    Both great suggestions...more to learn...I need some fun boat time to pay off working my tail off on it boat bucks I've earned!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't already have a multimeter I have both high end American industries and fluke but.. my favorite for 12v testing for everything g other than amps is a cheap 40 dollar eBay multi meter with thermometer, alligator clamps and probes.  

• Options
    I looked over the battery connections and that looked fine. I did replace the starter selonoid a I has it. Fired right but must have toasted the water impeller..ugh