Options

Getting fuel out of the tank.

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
Our 270 has about half a tank of bad fuel, sitting on a trailer at storage. I thought I had a great idea but could not get to work. Oh, by the way, had my boat out front and someone called it in to the city and I was promptly issued a warning and 4 hours to move it or the city would haul it. In my city, you can not have any type of trailer parked unhitched sitting on the street- it is also classified as an over size vehicle and can not be parked on the side yard either.  Anything over 22' (which would include the total length of the trailer and anything sticking out the back) is not legal to park. That makes just about any boat illegal which my hood has several of including landscapers, couple 5th wheels and several boats. By the code I can bring my boat here once every 15 days only for the purpose of loading and unloading. 24 hours max.
Anyway, I digress...so, I had a length of hose I ran through the transom drain, under the motor up to the tank..pulled the line off the fuel filter and going right to the tank. I have a pump ball like for an out board at the end and thought I could get it to siphon- it would not. I moved the pump ball up by the tank and while it would pump fuel our but it would not siphon...how come? I never was good at doing this...what kind of pump can I get without breaking the bank that will handle fuel? Also, when I moved the ball by the tank every compression I can hear it in the tank, like from the vent?

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a cheap amazon.com ATV inline fuel pump.   Put some long wires on it with some alligator clips to attach to a battery.   

Using the siphon method with primer bulb to draw the fuel the primer needs to be below the fuel tank in my experience.   I run a long fuel hose through the hull drain  as you did to keep elevation to a minimum and also allows me to catch the fuel in assorted cans without crawling into and out of a boat.  

Once I get fuel flowing it should continue to flow until it's empty. 

I've not had much good experience pulling fuel through an electric fuel pump so I make sure that I'm pulling from the back side of the fuel pump.  Pulling through the large spin on fuel filter is also likely causing a restriction for gravity draining and unless you want to change it again I wouldn't want to draw all fuel through it, although the damage may have already been done. 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    From what you said, it sounds like you had a line connected directly thru the drain plug under motor to a hose that went directly to your fuel tank?  as long as that connection is tight (no air leak at all), you should be able to use a good pump ball that is lower than the tank to pull it out.  Make sure that pump ball has two one way valve and you have it in the correct configuration (direction) for flow.  That ball pump needs to be lower than where your pickup is in the tank (basically bottom of fuel tank).  Now, you may need to prime the fuel line for it to begin.  To do this, you would want to block off the end you are drawing the fuel from and then use a funnel to fill the line up to where you connect it.  That is probably your issue right now.  Since you are disposing the fuel, you can just fill the line with water to get your prime.  Make sure the line has no loops in it.  I did this with my son's 20 footer last year and had issues with an old ball pump, loose connections and getting line below tank.  Once that was all good, it flowed really well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    I had my boat in the driveway when we had hurricane sandy hit I use one of those pumps you use on a 55 gallon drum to pump out the fuel (all the gas stations were closed and I had 50 gallons on the boat ) I just opened the top and removed the float for the gas gauge and pumped out ,you can get them for about 30 or 40 on amazon 
  • Options
    I'm not sure the hose is completely straight so I will recheck that...it should work and found someone on you tube that did the same...thx all!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once doing this bough cheep 12 volt pump, hooked to battrie, found a used 55 gallon drum, biggest problem was finding a place to dispose of old gas. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    Once doing this bough cheep 12 volt pump, hooked to battrie, found a used 55 gallon drum, biggest problem was finding a place to dispose of old gas. 
    randy56 said:
    I can take 20 gallons per trip to the local transfer station, county run. As a resident that is free so a couple of trips...
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you, had to make a bunch of calls, and pay as much as gas cost at that time, to get rid of it. Only one place in my county would take it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Don't toss all of it.  Old gas is great for yellow jacket aka ground hornet removal.    
  • Options
    I went back to the boat yesterday to try again on the fuel and everything is dead, aka hatch. I have kind of fought this all along and will start another thread.
  • Options
    I can not get the fuel to siphon at all..connections are tight..will look for a 12v pump.

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Remember Ras, spark is NOT your friend.  Make sure you are well ventilated, and spark free! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Lake_Bum said:
    Remember Ras, spark is NOT your friend.  Make sure you are well ventilated, and spark free! 
    No I would nut run it from in the boat' I still have the hose through the drain..I would never have made it in the sixties stealing gas..
  • Options
    @mbnarney I saw those but right now I have no access through the fuel sender- just the hose that goes to the motor from the tank. It should work the way I'm doing it...I just want to get it done and get it wet!
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Understood, Good Luck 
  • Options
    Edelbrock
    Universal Micro Electric Fuel Pump - 38 GPH / 144 LPH (Gasoline/E85)

I have one of these at the shop that I've used for several years now to pump out fuel tanks.   Will also do 5w40 diesel oil but needs to be warm and primed first.  With gas/diesel I've never had to prime it and it pulls up at least a good foot. 

• Options
    I thought I posted the one I ordered but the screen shot won't load...
  • Options
    So the little fuel pump I ordered worked pretty well. Its about the same size as the fuel filter for the motor from the tank. It took about an hour to pump 15 gallons so not super fast but at least I'm making progress! I'm not sure how much is in the tank but will go back again tomorrow...
  • Options
    Any water/junk pumping out?
  • Options
    Could not really tell as I'm going into a plastic container and dumping. I know when I was doing it by hand it seemed to clear- then I started it, it dies and I pumped some out and had 15% or so water which is why I said screw it and I'm getting that fuel out.  It's a mixture of a lot old fuel, some of it might be 5 years so I'm eliminating that as a problem...k
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you changed your water separating fuel filter? 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Once you get everything out and dry put in a few bottles of the heet if you still have any.   I'd also drain the fuel rail again.   Hopefully you don't need to remove and clean your fuel injectors. 
  • Options
    Have you changed your water separating fuel filter? 
    Yes I replaced both the in line filter and the separator...and already swapped out again! @PickleRick I can get more heat...suck it out or leave it in to mix with the new fuel? I will drain out that fuel rail again, thanks for reminding me!
  • Options
    Once you get everything out and dry put in a few bottles of the heet if you still have any.   I'd also drain the fuel rail again.   Hopefully you don't need to remove and clean your fuel injectors. 
    The generator covers the only access to the tank- I wish I could open it up and hit with the shop vac...
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Don't hit it with the shop vac unless you want to visit your nearest burn unit.  

I'd get a good sized glass jar so you can inspect some of the fuel.   If you find sludge in the tank after you've pumped it dry dump another 5 gallons of gas back in,  raise and lower the boat via jack to slosh it around.  Put the boat back where the fuel pickup is the lowest part of the tank and re pump.  Repeat as necessary.

If you have a larger glass container to examine fuel in you can dump your freshly bought gas into it.  If it's not cloudy looking you can dump out the good leaving the water in the bottom of the glass container, then reuse it to continue flushing the tank.

Once you are positive you're getting no more sludge from the tank put in 10 or so gallons of fresh fuel with heet.   Use your pump to pump from the highest possible point of the engine.  Pump until you get fresh fuel.  Now it's time to change your fuel filter, again if any contamination is observed.   You may still have bad fuel and sludge in your fuel rail or injectors but the rest of the system is good to go. Just for kicks id remove and dump out my fuel filter to inspect for any contamination, replace if any are found.  Some fuel cleanings are so bad it takes several filters.

Try to put stabilizer in your boat every time you fill it up.  Preventative is easier than repair.

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Try to put stabilizer in your boat every time you fill it up.  Preventative is easier than repair.
    This is a rule I live by with boats and small engines.  I buy starton when it is on sale and really doesn't cost that much for a summer's worth.  For 2 boats and a few small engines, maybe $150 or so in stablizer.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited May 2023
    So much cheaper to stabilize your fuel then pay for the consequences.  I've never used startron but I've heard good things.  Marine stabil has worked great for me.  All your newer stuff is designed to see 10% ethanol.

Also, another warning, never use a shop vac for any combustible liquids.   Pumping your holding tank,  nasty but sure.  Your gas tank will go boom. 

• Options
    edited May 2023
    So, more dang gas in the tank than I thought, or hoped...55 gallons so far. I did today first pump into a container and it looks clean, no water or anything settled to the bottom so looks like I'm chasing old fuel now. I had pulled out some real crap.. I'm pulling through the fuel line. Is there any kind of filter on the fuel pickup tube? Can't get to it anyway...I have 4 five gallon containers so I hope tomorrow I'm at the bottom...I can dispose of 20 gallons a day which for my day is about it- no I would not try a vac but it would be nice. I will do the fuel rail by flushing it out with new fuel as the last thing I guess, dump the fuel water separator...get a new fuel filter- and some frigging stabill or something..
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury , there’s most likely a screen at the bottom of the pick-up. I would blow into the pickup to hopefully blow off any debris. Or you can try to remove it but you might open up a can of worms.
    2008 330EC