Options

Getting fuel out of the tank.

13»

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Good luck.  I hope you have it solved.   It's been a while since you have been able to get out on the water.  The land cruiser club I used to hang with would have a wrenching meet once or twice a year where we would help each other do repairs or modifications.   Shared specialty tools and knowledge was a huge perk of these meets.   Sadly we're all too far apart for a day of wrenching, cold beer and over eating.  

There's still a possibility of you having a blockage from your fuel pump to your engine.  So I would do the following.

Make sure fuel from pump to tank is clear.   

Re attach the pump.

Remove pump outlet line and attach a temporary hose going into a catch can.  Verify no outcoming fuel.

If you hear the buzz and no outcoming fuel then you've 100% got a proper diagnosis of bad fuel pump. 

I'm no EFI expert but now that Kohler, Kawasaki and Briggs and Stratton all have EFI motos on commercial equipment I'm getting much more aquatinted with them.  Stihl even has EFI on a their ms500i chainsaw.  

I never thought I'd see an EFI hand held 2 stroke. 

Pretty sure it was the DeWalt battery powered z turn that caught fire at a trade show this past winter so hopefully that pushes out the EV movement in my field another few decades.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pulled the line on the tank side of the filter and it will just come out at the angle its sitting at- no fuel in the water separator so I'd have to conclude no obstruction from the pump to the fuel rail? I guess I can pull the line...looks like at a quick recall it had one line in and 2 out? If I replace it, hot to remove the line anyway...just got a number off of it. Yes, I'm due some water time which is why I'm finally ready to throw up my hands on it. I text my buddy who is a certified mechanic on mercuiser.  He just retired and doing it on the side at home now.  I just don't want him working on it from free-
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick is there an anti siphon valve?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    There is a vent...I ordered a new pump. Merc 800- after market 45..it's a gm pump.
  • Options
    I do not know if there is an anti siphon valve or not.   All i know about EFI is there is a minimum 45 plus psi fuel or you get no crank.   Anti siphon valve is something that came on the engine donor of my daily drive TDI  but is no longer used  in my current set up. 
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    I would most DEFINITELY have your Mercruiser buddy give your boat the full once over. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Pull the fuel line going to the pump. Hook a Mityvac Vacuum Pump - Save on Mityvac Pumps at Harbor Freight! to the line and see what you get.
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    Rich_ said:
    Pull the fuel line going to the pump. Hook a Mityvac Vacuum Pump - Save on Mityvac Pumps at Harbor Freight! to the line and see what you get.
    I've already pulled all the fuel out of the tank with an electric pump. Yesterday I pulled the filter and fuel is running out of the line so no restrictions there. The pump whirs when you turn it on, fuel water separator separator has no fuel in it. One thing of note, when I was checking the condition of the fuel before I pumped it out, I got a barb fitting that I could put a hose on and connect to the pressure test valve on the fuel rail. I would turn the key which pressurizes the rail to start. I was really shocked in hind sight how much water and trash made it to the fuel rail- the filter and water separator did not do what I thought they should. I wonder how much of that will be clogged up in the injectors. I'm afraid that will be the next issue. There are pictures earlier in this post I believe. I think @PickleRick found that fitting for me. From the picturs I've seen on the new pumps there is a screen on the inlet side so I'll be curious to see if that's clogged- new pump was 45 bucks so if it turns into a spare that's OK. You know if I took it to a shop they would have shopped Amazon and charged for a merc!
  • Options
    I had dinner last night with my merc bud-:would mention it was a 17th birthday celebration for my grand daughter who 3 years ago was in a horrible car accident and had a severe tbi injury no one thought she would survive.  She is doing amazingly well- almost sold the boat as I figured I'd never use it again- I'm glad I did not! It's been a very long road but we are seeing a light. I know she will always be disabled but she is learning skills to hopefully have some independence. 
  • Options
    I got the fuel pump out with minimal loss of blood. I figured out I like hose clamps with the rubber on the end - I've learned I wish mine had them.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news about your granddaughter @rasbury ! I can’t believe it’s 3 years already 🙏🏻.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I know we had a lot of prayers @aero3113 from this group, much appreciated. God must have a plan for this kid, she has been through it. Enough said but glad to deliver a positive update.
  • Options
    So, looks like my boost pump has failed. This is the low pressure pump but noon the less, 600 bucks. Socket has power pump will not turn.
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    ouch  but it would be nice to get it resolved
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    Well, probably not over yet...but I hope so..
  • Options
    Have you researched the part number?   Sometimes marine specific parts are not really marine specific and can be replaced with GM/Bosch/etc parts instead of the reboxed mercruiser part.   

• Options
    The high pressure side is no problem...45 bucks....
  • Options
    Something like one of these? MALLORY 935432, SIERRA 18-8868?   This is a small 5 to 10 psi pump where your fuel canister has the high pressure pump for your engine.  The ones I posted are less than 125. 
  • Options
    To late...and some I looked at it was not sure they were labeled so I went with what I knew would work...
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Bummer dude.   Unless you can verify the picture is not a generic stock photo, part numbers are usually the best way to go.   I have been screwed a few times buying NOS product that was replaced improperly.  ****,  I'll order Husqvarna parts from the regional distributor that are incorrectly part numbered lol.

• Options
    As it turned out the merc pump was out of stock- marineengine.com offered another brand substantially less and since they selected it assumed it was a correct one. Installed it, turned the key- beep for the oil pump but nothing from the fuel pump! Looked around, saw I tripped the emergency tether by the shifter. Couple of cranks and it finally started and smoothed out nicely. Would have loved to gone to the ramp but this is not the weekend for that. I'll see if we can launch next weekend. When I was pumping out test fuel I did not think of it at the time- the crap ola I was seeing was coming through a fuel filter, a screen in the pump, a fuel water separator, through another fuel pump, regulator into a fuel rail where I was able to attach a hose and pump trash out- how do the fuel injectors handle any of this or am I just ticking off one by one what I'm replacing next....sigh, sitting is not good.
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Glad to hear your getting back on the water. I agree no weekend to be boating , the crazies make those street takeovers look tame.