Options

Meet the new La Rea!

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, until the weep hole situation is resolved I have a feeling a small wet vac and some sham wows will be on permanent standby! Looks good!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Next mini-project:  installing the sensor for the chain counter.  The circle-thingy is a little magnet that I epoxied in a hole drilled into the side of the windlass gypsy.  The sensor gets mounted on the side of the windlass, next to the gypsy.  When the magnet passes the sensor, it increments the chain counter.  

The windlass controller/chain counter is a new model by Quick.  It has a nice display and some cool features, such as an audio signal when the anchor is almost up to the boat.

• Options
    Helm looks great! Very cool on the chain counter. But I hope it measures in shackles too? Captain Sandy usually wants 3 shackles in the water!!!

• Options
    Alas, it only measures in meters, feet or fathoms.  But I can do the mental conversion:  one shackle is just before the rode changes from chain to rope!

Another big moment today:  received a fat rebate check from Furuno.  Just in time to pay my slip fees.  
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Helm looks amazing.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    The helm is really going to look amazing when you're done. And who uses fathoms anymore other than Captain Nemo?
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s going to look amazing when it’s finished! ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    As part of replacing flooring in the galley and salon, I added a hatch to access this space under the floor.  It has two air conditioners that were impossible to reach.  Hard to believe they didn't put in a hatch from the factory.  

I also relocated one of the AC units to make more storage space, as this area will be used for tool storage.

• Options
    Amazing work as always.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just slap that a/c in like almost an afterthought- looks great and creating storage is always a good thing- and generally hard to do!
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    What are you using for the subfloor? 

LaRea said:
    As part of replacing flooring in the galley and salon, I added a hatch to access this space under the floor.  It has two air conditioners that were impossible to reach.  Hard to believe they didn't put in a hatch from the factory.  

I also relocated one of the AC units to make more storage space, as this area will be used for tool storage.

• Options
    The subfloor in the galley is just 1/2" plywood.  In the salon, it's fiberglass except for the center section with the air conditioners, which is plywood.  I'll need to reinforce the edges of the hatch so they don't bend.
  • Options
    La Rea congrats on the trip. How exciting. Can't wait to watch your progress what has been nothing short of amazing so far. If you need anything when passing thru Chicago let me know.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    That is awesome!
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    it looks great
  • Options
    Wow looks awesome! Great new on the loop, looking forward to those updates!

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍🏻👍🏻⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I can now say, in public for the first time, something that you might have already guessed:  Starting this summer, LaRea will cruise the Great Loop!

In the first year, we'll cover 6500 miles or more.  That's why we are investing so much effort to bulletproof this boat.  We still have a LONG to-do list, and less than five months to do it.  Finish the helm project, replace all flooring, move out of our dirt home, put our stuff in long-term storage, and a lot more.  We've been planning for over five years, but now it's getting real. 

We'll get underway ("launch our wake") on July 3rd, and cross our wake next summer.  We're building a website to chronicle our travels, and I'll post a link when it goes live.  We are beyond excited!

Now that you know our plans, some of my posts over the next few weeks will make more sense.  Or not, because nothing about this adventure makes any sense.  :D
    Let me know when you head up the Hudson towards Albany.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    That is looking SHARP!!!!  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Looks good. Can’t wait to see it when it’s all lit up. 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea, I've been following your new boat outfitting and can tell you from my present experiences on the Loop all your work will pay off in spades. I now wish I had had more time with this boat prior to leaving. I saw some of your posts on the AGLCA site so knew you were planning to leave this year. Presently in Vero Beach heading to Titusville for a couple of weeks as we have to leave the USA after 6 months and come back after 5 days in Canada. I will be passing through your area late May. I will also do some posting on some of our experiences in the Gulf. 
  • Options
    @Grahamu - we'll connect with you on your way up the Chesapeake.  Let me know if you decide to come up the Potomac, as I could offer you a stay at our club.
  • Options
    To keep working my "day job" while cruising, I'll need solid internet service.  The obvious solution is Starlink -- expensive but reliable.  

The front of the hardtop has a perfect spot to mount a Starlink High Performance Antenna, which is huge (22" x 20").  However, I was sweating the risk of interference from the radar.  This week I hacked the antenna into place and got 150-200 mbps with the radar running!  So the location is a keeper.  Today I'll install a small inverter to run the system, which needs AC power. 

I'm not telling my coworkers about the Starlink.  I need to keep that tried-and-true boating excuse of "sorry, we were anchored and didn't have cell service!"

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

What did you do for a latch? I have a couple hatches that need a way to open them with something other than a flat heat screwdriver. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I can now say, in public for the first time, something that you might have already guessed:  Starting this summer, LaRea will cruise the Great Loop!

In the first year, we'll cover 6500 miles or more.  That's why we are investing so much effort to bulletproof this boat.  We still have a LONG to-do list, and less than five months to do it.  Finish the helm project, replace all flooring, move out of our dirt home, put our stuff in long-term storage, and a lot more.  We've been planning for over five years, but now it's getting real. 

We'll get underway ("launch our wake") on July 3rd, and cross our wake next summer.  We're building a website to chronicle our travels, and I'll post a link when it goes live.  We are beyond excited!

Now that you know our plans, some of my posts over the next few weeks will make more sense.  Or not, because nothing about this adventure makes any sense.  :D
    Make sure to let me know when you come through the upper keys, have plenty of places for you to stop for an overnight that lots of folks do. 
  • Options
    edited February 26
    @J3ff - I sure will, we'd love to meet you!  I haven't bought a floor latch yet.  The one Maritimo used in a few other places on this boat is backordered with no end in sight.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    LaRea said:
    @Grahamu - we'll connect with you on your way up the Chesapeake.  Let me know if you decide to come up the Potomac, as I could offer you a stay at our club.
    @Grahamu - would certainly love to meet up with you as you come thru the Chesapeake Bay.  If it so happens to be around Rinkervous, I'm sure we'll allow you to raft up! :smile:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express