Options

Meet the new La Rea!

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
After four years of shopping and four weeks of negotiations, I'm overjoyed to introduce the next La Rea! 

We went "all in" on a 2011 Maritimo A50, and we are just giddy with excitement.  This Australian beauty is one of only two in the US, and her flowing lines melt me every time I see her.

Comments

• Options
    A few years ago, we fell in love with the enclosed flybridge concept.  Unfortunately for us, most of them cost waaaay too much.  For a long time, we flirted with the 2003-06 Ocean Yachts Odyssey 57 as an older, more affordable boat.  After several hot dates, the relationship soured because each one we saw needed a major restoration project.

We had given up on finding one, and then this boat found us!  In late March, we wrote a contract on a 2013 Sea Ray 510 Sundancer.  After a disappointing survey, we cancelled the contract. That night, as we sat crying into our beers, this Maritimo popped onto the market, squarely in our price range. It was meant to happen.

She’s fast, roomy, clean, small enough that we can handle her ourselves, and old enough that she’s affordable.  There are two staterooms, two heads, and a third cabin that I’ll convert to an office.  Instead of a ladder from the cockpit to the bridge, she has stairs inside the salon.  With sliding glass doors from the salon to the cockpit, there's no canvas to fuss with, and the doors provide better security when we’re away from the boat.

The propulsion is Volvo D12-800 diesels with straight shaft drives.  That’s 4400 foot-pounds of torque pushing 37-inch wheels.  Naturally, the engine room is white-glove clean and worthy of the name “La Rea”. She’ll cruise at 25 knots.  At 10 knots, she has a range of 1000 miles.

• Options
    She has a tender garage!  It’s not huge, but it will house a small jet tender that will be great for shore visits, fishing and exploring.  The transom also has an electric grill ... shrimp on the barbie, mates.

Bonus:  the helm electronics are obsolete.  I get to rip them out and design a custom helm.  You guys know that part makes me very, very happy.  And for cruising in comfort, those Stidd seats are amazing.

• Options
    I already have a long list of upgrade projects for this 12-year-old vessel.  She needs more storage.  The tender garage needs a tender, chocks and a winch.  There’s the helm conversion, the office conversion, a bar in the salon, plus smaller repairs and upgrades.  It will take at least a year, and I can’t wait to get started.

Speaking of getting started: I’m taking delivery in Miami this weekend!  We’re moving her 1000 miles to Hampton Virginia for maintenance work and minor repairs.  She'll be in our home marina by early June.  Even though she's not a Rinker, it’s a dream come true!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome next step!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am speachless looking at the pictures..how awesome for you and family!
  • Options
    alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I’ll I’ve got is Wow. 
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    That is one sweet looking yacht! Congrats!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing @LaRea !! 
    Congratulations!! 🍾 ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    CONGRATS !!!!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Congratulations!  Not what I was expecting, cause you told me about the sea ray.  She’s a beauty with plenty of room!  Can’t wait to watch the upgrades happen!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There comes a point where the yacht (too big/nice to be a boat) becomes a work of art.

Congratulations...you are now cruising around in every sane male's wet dream!!!   Absolute beauty.    Engine bay is too clean to be diesels unless they've never put oil in them!!!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous!! Congrats! You’ll enjoy the Volvos. Nice, smooth, efficient diesels. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    It’s too bad the swim platform fell off already! 😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, that is a big move up from the Rinker. Will she go under the 19.5 ft bridge for the great loop?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Wow, wow, amazing vessel. Is someone driving it up there or hauled on the road?
    congratulations  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Congratulations @LaRea I wish you nothing but happiness and good luck with your new float. She is a beauty  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Congrats on the upgrade. Nice lines. Enjoy
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful vessel, they are well built and looked at them at the boat shows. Us Aussies do good work!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Thanks everybody!  We had been planning to do this next year, but decided to bump it up a year.  

I hired a delivery captain for the first part of the trip so I can learn how to run and dock the boat.  Along with my sister's husband, we'll cruise from Miami to Charleston, hopefully arriving next weekend.  Then a couple other buddies will help me run her up to Hampton.  
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
    Beautiful boat - nicely done. Can't wait to see your improvements.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    LaRea said:
    Thanks everybody!  We had been planning to do this next year, but decided to bump it up a year.  

I hired a delivery captain for the first part of the trip so I can learn how to run and dock the boat.  Along with my sister's husband, we'll cruise from Miami to Charleston, hopefully arriving next weekend.  Then a couple other buddies will help me run her up to Hampton.  
    Charleston SC?  Home port of @Dude_Himself?

Very nice time of year for a quick trip to the downtown area.  
  • Options
    @LaRea if you’re not too busy please take some videos of the trip and post!
     When my neighbor bought his 290 SR we took it from souther NJ to Long Island, it was only a 3 Hr run but we reminisce about it all the time. Good luck! ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I will take pix for the rockumentary!  We won't spend much time in port, as this will be a delivery rather than a pleasure cruise.  I wish the Admiral and I could take 2 weeks off work and do it the right way, but that's not happening.  

The delivery captain is a full-time pro.  I'm guessing he does 100 deliveries a year up and down the east coast.  His main customers are Princess and Viking, but he also has private customers like me.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most will never get to make a trip like that. Nice. Now curious? what is your occupation? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 I'm an engineer.  I can't tell you more, or I'd have to ... bore you to death.   :D
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    Most will never get to make a trip like that. Nice. Now curious? what is your occupation? 
    Lol...now I wanna do engineering...but without the maths.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful boat. Looks like she will be in great hands. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful boat good luck with it Are yo taking the intercostal all the way up or running on the outside ,I had the opportunity to take a boat from NJ to Miami it was a great experience took us three weeks on a 42 foot President 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    That sure is a nice boat. Congratulations!!!

I am actually meeting with my financial advisor today so I guess I have a new topic......lets shift my goals for a bigger and better boat than LaRea  :p
    1997 Bayliner 3988