Options

Meet the new La Rea!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    After a 12-hour day, the helm framing is done!  It's a 1-piece pod that connects to the original dash with six screws.  It's assembled with screws, so tomorrow I'll take it apart and glue everything.  Then I need to route the edges, putty, sand and seal.  Should be ready for the upholstery shop by Sunday night!

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! You work fast! I could use your energy!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New boat energy, lasts a season or two
    LoL!
    I had that when we bought the 330 and when we bought our house. It comes and goes now. I have it for the Land Cruiser now but starting to run out of projects for it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 that 350 with no generator is still for sale. I think you should offer $40k, move the gen from your 330 to the 350, and sell your 330!

That's a great winter project! Plus, two boats in your backyard - max cool.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree! It comes and goes for sure with boat and house projects. As I gracefully age it seems to go more than it comes  :D
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    You guys crack me up!  I wish mine would wear off after a year.  

Okay, today it took another 7 hours to glue, shape, sand and seal (at home in my shop).  I had some leftover gray paint, so I threw a coat on the outside just to see how it looks -- but I'm pretty sure we'll use black.  

Now I can make templates for the instrument panels, and decide whether to cut them myself vs. having them professionally made.

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    @aero3113 that 350 with no generator is still for sale. I think you should offer $40k, move the gen from your 330 to the 350, and sell your 330!

Then I’ll be in the same spot as the 350 owner, except I’ll have a 330 that won’t sell….
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    aero3113 said:
    YYZRC said:

Then I’ll be in the same spot as the 350 owner, except I’ll have a 330 that won’t sell….
    I don't think so. A 330 is much more of a day boat than the 350. And I think if you put the 330 up at $40k no generator, it would go quick.

If the Canadian dollar wasn't so bad right now I would buy that 350 as a winter flip.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    aero3113 said:
    YYZRC said:

I don't think so. A 330 is much more of a day boat than the 350. And I think if you put the 330 up at $40k no generator, it would go quick.

If the Canadian dollar wasn't so bad right now I would buy that 350 as a winter flip.
    The 330 is more of a "day boat" 😆 Man, you're spoiled!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Every time I get myself into a project, I say never again. Then when I’m finished with it I always say it was worth it! LoL🤷🏻‍♂️⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @Willhound I am - shower stall changed everything!!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Now that we have a full shower on the boat we both were going to take showers after moving the boat just cause we could 😂. 

Heck we can even take baths on ours and yes we have enough hot water on board. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #gamechanger
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a " regular" bathroom vs sit in the head to take a shower and hand pump your toilet is not real fun either- now don't get me wrong- when I was a kid our boat was a canoe, all we could afford. So I try to be appreciative for what I have but wow, that would be a game changer- for money too considering I'm in a 270 that I trailer...
  • Options
    I received the goods 😎 @LaRea. Thanks!! 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Got the radar array installed today.  It was a fairly easy job, aside from a trip to West Marine to get a cable pass-thru.  But I might need to re-mount the nav light to get it up a little higher.  

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    I have to do the same project few days ago, my 10 years old garmin radar finally give up, but I was lucky getting a great deal for a new pedestal from west marine. By the way I used to see a lot of furunos when i was in the navy. Great radar $$$$ 
    Post edited by oscar1 on
  • Options
    Did you get the model number off the old one? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    k
    Post edited by oscar1 on
  • Options
    Oops sorry Oscar I was asking what @LaRea old one was as I may want to purchase it 😁
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura - it's a Garmin 18HD.  I'll PM you.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Todays project:  Installed a Furuno SCX-20 satellite compass.  GPS plus roll, pitch and yaw.  The specs are good -- not too far behind the stuff I use in my day job.  

I also ran wiring for the hailer, radar, compass, and stern spreader light.  And I realized that all of the speaker wiring for the bridge and cockpit is 18 AWG ... hard to believe they would use such tiny wire with great amps and speakers.

• Options
    Today's project:  replaced most of the pathetically small speaker wires, and added LED wiring.  8 speakers done, 48 connectors, 150 feet of wire, 9 hours, 2 very sore shoulders.  

It defies logic that they spent $5k on audio hardware, then went cheap on wire.  It sounds okay at dinner volume, but I was really disappointed when I cranked it up and heard all the distortion.  And the speakers all have LED rings, but they were never wired up.  

Here's some of the carnage.  The pile of wire is mostly coax cable from cameras and the satellite dish.  

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    If any of you guys have plans to wire LED speaker lights, I found this fantastic product:
    Posi-tap Connectors
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D0C18C

It's a twist-connect that lets me tap into the LED backbone without breaking the wire.  It was a real time-saver.  Will it last -- ask me in a few years!

• Options
    LED speaker grills are still a thing? I feel like your boat is too classy for that @LaRea
  • Options
    Hah ... yeah, she'll require a gentle touch on the LED controller.  This ain't no Miami charter boat.  

Here's a shot of me sitting under the helm, tearing apart the wiring harness to reroute the wires for the autopilot.  The wires went right past the autopilot, continued all the way across, then made a U-turn and came back.  Unsat.  But you can see some of the wire trays taking shape.