Options

what about this boat?

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its a saltwater trailer that's been sitting more than a few months don't count on it just coming apart in somebodys driveway without a cutting torch and all the right jacks/stands to get under it safely on hand. Will the trailer roll or are the brakes/hubs/axles/undercarriage marginal? Old tires that are rated to actually handle the load on a tandem would be my next concern. Above all make sure the insc is 100% in force before you put it on the road.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it all looks clean and it rolls...I think the piston is crudded up....are they auto type or are they somehow special for a trailer? I will have the model numbers/trailer info in a day or so and research. 10 4 on the insurance and other comments. Figured I'd plan the trip allowing enough time for a shop just in case...
  • Options
    Well, I thought the buyers of boats were the flakes, not the sellers! I think my seller is having seller remorse! Let's review: Boat number one I went from Orlando to Tx, could not get the seller and surveyor to play nice. Boat number two in S Fl was impeccably maintained by the orgional owner, must see- unless you tell them your bringing a surveyor and suddenly we have a gimbal bearing issue and a fuel tank issue and the boat add drops to like 10 grand from 40. And now the new boat....hammered out a minimum price he would accept, drove a pretty good distance to look at it and meet the surveyor there.  Thought the boat had a camper package, well it used to have one, not much left of it.  The trailer was supposed to be in good working order, might need brake pads to covered above. I sent the buyers order to him still at the agreed price as I did expect some differences from what it was being sold at. They want to RAISE the price by 1000.00 after initially wanting to raise it almost 4000!  I guess what I did not realize while talking with the captain of the boat, I should have been talking with the admiral of the boat as SHE is now the one setting the price! I'm about to give this up, I've dealt with three sellers I thought I would be ready to buy a boat and they flake out on me!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    Ras, there are some good ones out there.  Don't get too frustrated.  I'm about ready to find you one here in MD!  I may have to start looking for you! :)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I always have a signed contract with an agreed price in hand that is "subject to a survey" BEFORE you hire the surveyor and spend time driving back/forth endlessly.

Let the seller cook a little. In the sellers eyes it always seems like there is more interest when a real buyer shows up. Remind him of why he originally wanted to sell and that there isn't some line of buyers stacked up to close the deal. DI is right, there's always another one. Everything eventually comes around for sale too. If you wait a year or so even TikiHut will move to another owner ;)

Hope you find the right one soon. Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    just like a good woman, the boat of your dreams will show itself when you least expect it... which reminds me:

"God put trustworthy, and obedient ladies at all corners of the earth... then He made the world spherical, and laughed and laughed and laughed."

^true story....

not that our situations are the same, but I watched the market for what I wanted for two years before one presented itself... went to get financing on one, just to find out my credit score was 650 or some such crap and due to a bad claim by a credit card, (which was fixed and good rate of 4% offered afterward, but boat sold in meantime) I missed that boat- just to have the one I got presented a couple months later.. turns out the four winns I was looking at had issues galore, and was listed again within a month or two of me buying the one I got..

point being, call it experience and write all the 'bad' boats you've tried to buy off, but as a good experience.. you don't want a bad experience; a bad experience is a mentally trying and expensive mistake... by coming here and tapping the experience all these guys have, you've done yourself a huge favor, and won't end up like that dude who 'swiped' that four winns out from underneath me... I called about that boat, and he was less than thrilled (after I told him who I was) with the seller.. He should have had a surveyor, no?
  • Options
    OK, the deal is at the bank. I had a deal in writing from the seller but as you all know, until he accepts the cash and surrenders the title, I can stomp my feet, cry like a little girl, make him feel bad etc but it is what it is. I think the wife should have had more input before he gave me the selling price. I confirmed it with him like 3x before I went out there. Even with the bump in the price I think I'm getting a pretty good deal.  The boat is an 05, 350 merc, fresh water cooled.  Engine has 98 hours, the gen as 200. It has the arch and I think every option you can get except the larger motor.  The canvas needs a little work, the survey came out with no issues other than some bulbs to replace, ran out good, everything works no issues. I've discussed the trailer- it is a proformance trailer, yes that's with a pro, but they are out of business and I hope someone can tell me I'm going to be able to match up calipers at the auto parts store....I might just be able to clean them up, it was really never used and sat. So, I have everything lined up, insurance, two finance sources looking at it. Tiki- can you give me an idea of what the title fees will be and the registration? Our governor here may have increased some of those fees since you bought yours but I am hearing they are reducing those fees back, it is an election year coming up!
  • Options
    and I absolutely appreciate everyone's input and it has been a huge learning experience and would have certainly made some very big mistakes if not for everyone taking the time to lay it out for me.  Everyone gets a spin in the boat!  Will let you know how it ends up, I had financing pre approved before I got to far into this but it's not done until it's done.

Rick
  • Options

Ras, you have us all waiting.  Hoping things go very well for you and your family!  Maybe someday I'll take you up on that spin too!

:)>-

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

don't worry too much about the trailer. most trailer companies use 'off the shelf' hardware (hitches, brakes, etc) and just make the trailer frame bits. you shouldn't have too tough a time finding anything you might need.

we're all looking forward to pictures!!

• Options
    WOW, sounds like you're close. What a journey. I'm sure glad you found the site in time to HAVE a learning curve that probably saved some real pain. We're excited for you.......  Now, has anybody explaned what a "Boat Unit" (BU) is? Get ready to measure almost everything you'll want to fix/add in BU's. :D

I''m still adding BU's to mine. LOL

Get us some pics. Cya, Mike
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BU's, got to love them.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Yep, know all about them...this hopefully will be my third boat....the first one I rebuilt the inline 6 cylinder outboard 150 in a tent in my back yard, 35 years ago? 2nd boat never had to brake one out in 3 years. I'm guessing this one will catch me up to date! Still waiting for an email on the financing......like watching a pot of water boil. I was already approved on another boat so don't expect a problem unless I am fee'd to death...
  • Options
    Taxes....ugg. There'll be a 6 or 7% tax on the sale price and there'll be no fudging that if it's financed. A registration fee and a decal fee based on your date of birth. Call your local tag office for all the good news. My decal is a few hundred bucks a year.

Really it's only a few dozen boat units all up. :D
  • Options

Minor snap on the financing- there is a list of category one repairs the banks wants done before they will close the boat.  98% are safety (current fire extinguishers)bulbs, minor stuff. I think all things I could fix myself but they have to verify with a marina that it's done.  Anyway, a couple of items I am not familiar with that I would like to have an idea of what I'm jumping into having it done at a marina:

raw water sea valve for generator

apparently, the engine raw water intake hose has a kink or something in it and it's asking to be replaced. On my 3.0L, my understanding is the water comes up through the foot and through what I would call the risor to the manifold....is there a different water intake on these boats? I'll do a little google work and see what I can see also.  Other than getting that done, and figuring out how to get those and the rest of the minor bulbs and crap replaced, set to go.

• Options
    a term used often is whether an item is bonded or not,what does that mean? For example, sea valves located in the engine space were bonded.  Sea valves in the forward cabin space were not bonded.  He also notes sea cocks in cabin space bilge area are not bonded to the vessels bonding system. What does that term mean?? Very cool report...this guy used to build boats here in Fl, think he said he worked in one of the SR plants....
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Bonding is part of the electrical system to thwart galvanic corrosion.. similar if not identical in nature to anodes on your outdrive that prevents corrosion of the drive..

It's one of those things you want to be right, because by the time you discover it isn't, it's usually too late and after damage is done.. metal material based valves giving up the ghost isn't a good thing..

afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2011/january-2011/Boat_Electrics_The_Bonding_System#.UvLeBz9OnJs
  • Options
    Bonding is an electrical term, so he's talking about the valves being hooked up to the boat grounding system to prevent corrosion.  Salt water provides a handy electrical path from a metal valve to your electrical system (say an engine).  Unless you have a corrosion problem on the valves, it's probably not worth the trouble and can actually invite problems.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    got it, never thought of that but it makes since if you have a thru hull fitting, you have an electrical path.So black, your saying don't worry about the valves for the gen intake up front and also in the report it mentions the same for the a/c and the head(but must be water discharge I assume). What about the sea valve replacement and the raw water inlet hose for the motor....$$$$? Will have to have a shop do those...and I looked on line, does the motor have a water pump on the motor with impellers and a separate raw water inlet? The cooling water does not come up through the foot like my brovo II?
  • Options

Rasbury: Your genset has an anode in it so 'should' be OK.  The AC should not be an issue as the water flows through a copper coil too.  There really should not be an electrical path for your head..all plastic. I know none of my through hulls are bonded, but I am in fresh water too.

Replacing the valve is some work..undoing the sealant and then resealing too..don't want leaks!  The Bravo III has an engine mounted water pump that pulls from the outdrive, I'm not sure if Volvos use a through hull, I'm sure someone here knows.  Replacing the hose is all about getting to it, some easy some are an engine pull.  I'd put the cost in the deal.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    That's a through report which is a good thing. Kinks in a raw water intake line are not so good but be glad it was caught and should definitely be repaired.

A bond wire ties all the otherwise isolated metal parts together which avoids/deters any accidental shorts/energized parts by hopefully tripping a fault protection circuit breaker somewhere. It also prevents isolated galvanic corrosion by diverting any current that dissimilar metals might generate and diverting that corrosion problem to the anodes (via a bond wire) which will sacrifice themselves first being the softest metal in the bonded circuit.

While I know my Genset intake gate valve is bonded, I don't think my a/c and toilet intake gate valves are bonded. Just something else to check on my TikiHut. This is really starting to cut into my luau time.

Sounds like you're going to be boating this season after all. Cool. WTH....post some pics of that trophy. Lord knows it's been a team effort to get you there... Cya, Mike
  • Options
    not yet on the info...deal is done with the bank but........I don't hear no singin yet
  • Options
    I believe the bonded term means there is no green ground running to them. Sounds like you found a good surveyor. On my current boat, I was very happy with the report and still look at it for things.

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    If you have a "Vacu-flush" camode, I believe it gets its water from the fresh water tank.  I believe it is that way and not the other way around lol.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    Yep, you are correct Tony. At least my last two boats, electric had raw water, and my current vacuflush is fresh water.

• Options
    I thing I hear singing! As far as I know, this deal is now done and according to the bank, I own a Rinker!

I do have some minor issues to fix, primary one being a sea valve for the genset which is stuck open, the rest being lighting and minor stuff and some sweat equity cleaning it up, the trailer brakes I'm really hoping cleaning up the sliding portion whether it be pins or a track ect......but I'm done!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Boat name is next...

I nominate:

Long Tips Strange Trips... Because its been quite the journey for all of us, and you sure got a lot of responses!! :-D

Oh.. and CONGRATS!!!! :-)
  • Options
    Congrats!!

• Options
    Well now, that's what I'm talkin about. Congrats. What a team effort. Well done.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Great looking ride. Congrats. ..
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com